1. Joined
    03 May '05
    Moves
    18 Nov '07 12:171 edit
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    I thought he had said they would be second seeds for the Euro 2008 finals, afer all this is a thread about Euro 2008 (although I accept obvioulsy it was my error). But thanks for refraining from posting an agressive response or being sarcastic in your reply like a dickhead would have. You are a gentleman of the furums as I did indeed made a huge error in m , it would have been great to have Scotland there as well or there as the only home nation team
    No worries; thanks consolations appreciated; and, redundantly, good luck Wednesday (I'm sure a point's a given with the top place decided)
  2. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    18 Nov '07 12:211 edit
    Originally posted by pootstick
    No worries; thanks consolations appreciated; and, redundantly, good luck Wednesday (I'm sure a point's a given with the top place decided)
    Yes I hope so, possibly a factor in why Coatia lost last night. But England have slipped up so many times (and really don't deserve to be there, although it could also be argued that neither do Russia) I just want to get wed over with.

Edit: I just realized that the top place isn't yet decided but it doesn't change your valid point that Croatia have qualified
  3. Joined
    03 May '05
    Moves
    18 Nov '07 12:401 edit
    Yes I hope so, possibly a factor in why Coatia lost last night. But England have slipped up so many times (and really don't deserve to be there, although it could also be argued that neither do Russia) I just want to get wed over with.

Edit: I just realized that the top place isn't yet decided but it doesn't change your valid point that Croatia have qualified
    Croatia lost?! I didn't realise that till now.. well, I guess the top spot's up for grabs. Might make the game more interesting!

edit: idem
  4. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    18 Nov '07 12:591 edit
    Croatia lost?! I didn't realise that till now.. well, I guess the top spot's up for grabs. Might make the game more interesting!

edit: idem
    I just read the match report and apparantly Macedonia were the better side! and had 2 good chances to take the lead in the 35th minute (ie before the result of the Israel/Russia game) so it doesn't seem to have been a result entirely attributable to the Israel result (although the 2 goals in the 2:0 scoreline were indeed scored after Croatia had qualified).

I don't think winning the group offers any advantage, I think the 4 groups in the finals are decided by seeding rather than performance in the qualifying stage.
  5. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Nov '07 14:45
    Originally posted by chris stephens
    ...despite the sneering form ingerlund supporters...
    Like many English people, I used to support the Scots whenever they played anyone other than a home nation.

However, after years of England-hating by Scottish fans for ancient historical reasons (after all we do subsidize 'em these days & don't even have our own parliament!😉) I raise a glass of the finest claret to Scotland's early exit from the Euro Championship footbally thing.

Bravo!
  6. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    18 Nov '07 15:18
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Like many English people, I used to support the Scots whenever they played anyone other than a home nation.

However, after years of England-hating by Scottish fans for ancient historical reasons (after all we do subsidize 'em these days & don't even have our own parliament!😉) I raise a glass of the finest claret to Scotland's early exit from the Euro Championship footbally thing.

Bravo!
    Here here!!!
  7. Joined
    03 May '05
    Moves
    18 Nov '07 17:05

Bravo!
    How does this refute the quote from the OP? You have the opportunity to focus on England's good fortunes, why instead choose our bad ones?

Despite the portrayal of Scottish people being anti-English that is bandied around so much it seems to me that most ill-feeling, especially on message boards and comment pages, seems to flow in the other direction. But it seems justified so long as it's preceded by a qualifying "Since the Scottish hate us ... " This circular reasoning benefits no-one except those who like to crow at the defeated in sporting fixtures.
  8. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Nov '07 17:25
    How does this refute the quote from the OP? You have the opportunity to focus on England's good fortunes, why instead choose our bad ones?

Despite the portrayal of Scottish people being anti-English that is bandied around so much it seems to me that most ill-feeling, especially on message boards and comment pages, seems to flow in the other direction. B ...[text shortened]... easoning benefits no-one except those who like to crow at the defeated in sporting fixtures.
    So you'll no doubt be supporting "our boys" against Croatia then?
  9. Joined
    03 May '05
    Moves
    18 Nov '07 17:411 edit
    So you'll no doubt be supporting "our boys" against Croatia then?
    Read the thread. I've already wished England g'luck.
  10. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Nov '07 17:481 edit
    Read the thread.
    Aah yeah. Missed that.
    Apologies.

I still stand by the observation that the Scots are far more anti-English than the English are anti-Scottish when it comes to sport.
  11. Joined
    03 May '05
    Moves
    18 Nov '07 18:04
    Ok. Anyway, about the game. I agree with Ragnorak that MacFadden squandered that effort when he shot instead of squared. A rush of blood. I feel this was a more crucial chance than the open goal he missed which was a fast skidding ball, not an easy opportunity.

It was missed moments like those, and the Georgian debacle, that cost us Austria rather than the poor refereeing that's been decried in the papers. Sure the incident leading to their second goal was purely criminal, but the balance was more than even given the preceding goal allowed and non-goal disallowed. Still, that doesn't stop some of the press implying he was bought! If so he must have come cheap - worst bought ref ever.
  12. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    18 Nov '07 19:39
    Because the top seeds are Austria (as a home team), Switzerland (again as a home team) Greece (as champions) Spain (with highest UEFA co-efficient). I would anticipate the 2nd seeds would come form the following teams (in group order):

Portugal
    Italy (France omitted to make way for Scot qualifying)
    Germany
    Czech
    Croatia
    England
    Holland

Edit:
    I ...[text shortened]... ry miscountered actually they would have to displace 3 of the above teams (not counting England)
    According to my source (dutch soccer site www.vi.nl) holland will be top seed instead of spain because of highest uefa co-efficient, unless we lose to belarus and germany beats wales this wednesday, in which case germany is top seed along with austria, switzerland and greece.
  13. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    18 Nov '07 19:482 edits
    Originally posted by schakuhr
    According to my source (dutch soccer site www.vi.nl) holland will be top seed instead of spain because of highest uefa co-efficient, unless we lose to belarus and germany beats wales this wednesday, in which case germany is top seed along with austria, switzerland and greece.
    For what it's worth here is my source:

http://sport.aol.co.uk/football/england-set-for-seedings-boost/article/20070927084709990001

but as the whole line of my arguement was incorrectly focused because the original thread was about Scotlands World Cup seeding NOT their Euro 2008 final group seeding, the whole point I was making is now irrelevant. I have no axe's to grind over who is the top seed. My source was dated 28th Sept it may be that matches subsequent to that date have effected the ranking list. But who is top is irrelevant to the point of the post, which was that Scotland would not be in the second tier (although that was never suggested in the first place, as I said above I misread his initial post)
  14. Standard memberVirtue76
    King of the Ring-er
    Moves
    19 Nov '07 13:37
    Why oh why do english people feel they have to cheer on Scotland whenever they have big games?

Just look at the jocks cheering on Russia this weekend.
  15. 6yd box
    Moves
    19 Nov '07 13:39
    Originally posted by Virtue76
    Why oh why do english people feel they have to cheer on Scotland whenever they have big games?

Just look at the jocks cheering on Russia this weekend.
    good point.... i never cheer on any of the other english clubs when they play in europe..... in fact i hope they all lose.... as long as spurs win their matches....😉😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree