1. weedhopper
    Moves
    10 Jul '08 19:52
    Okay, I play this table-top baseball sim game called SI Baseball, and there are 16 teams (one each for the ones that dominated the "golden years", or some such). Anyway, each team is comprised of the greatest players to ever play for that team. needless to say, the Yankees are pretty darn near unbeatable (although they don't have the pitching staff of the Indians or Giants). But, on to my post. This game was made in 1972, when the Mets were still a young team, and the Expos, Royals, Padres, and Brewers/Pilots were in their infancies. So, now that those 4 are almost 40 years old, they have enough history to warrant an AllTime All-Star roster of their own, and I've decided to create them, starting with the Royals.
    Brett of course stands out as the superstar, but any help fans could give me in naming the other 24 deserving players who wore the KC uniform will be appreciated. To match the basic game, I must pick 16 position players and 9 pitchers.
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    10 Jul '08 20:30
    Bret Saberhagen
    David Cone
    Bo Jackson
    Carlos Beltran
    Dan Quisenberry
    Frank White
  3. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    10 Jul '08 20:34
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Okay, I play this table-top baseball sim game called SI Baseball, and there are 16 teams (one each for the ones that dominated the "golden years", or some such). Anyway, each team is comprised of the greatest players to ever play for that team. needless to say, the Yankees are pretty darn near unbeatable (although they don't have the pitching staff of th ...[text shortened]... ll be appreciated. To match the basic game, I must pick 16 position players and 9 pitchers.
    16 for the 16 orignal franchises.

The A's, Cards, and giants are usually pretty good in those things.

On to the royals: (Names not mentioned)

Willie Wilson
    Amos Otis
    Hal McRae
    Willie Aikens
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    10 Jul '08 20:38
    Buck Martinez
  5. Standard memberDerfel Cadarn
    The Mighty
    Rocky Mountains
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 04:18
    George Brett
  6. weedhopper
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 05:07
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Bret Saberhagen
    David Cone
    Bo Jackson
    Carlos Beltran
    Dan Quisenberry
    Frank White
    Thanks, I had forgotten the Quis (I know--shame on me) 😉
  7. weedhopper
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 05:09
    Originally posted by Red Night
    16 for the 16 orignal franchises.

The A's, Cards, and giants are usually pretty good in those things.

On to the royals: (Names not mentioned)

Willie Wilson
    Amos Otis
    Hal McRae
    Willie Aikens
    Yes--the 3 you name are considered to have the best pitching staffs, along with the Indians (tho they lack an abundance of lefties)

All those should qualify. Since the other 16 charts were made before the DH, I'll have to look up where McRae played before his permanent DH role. Seems like he was an OF for the Reds at one time.
  8. weedhopper
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 05:11
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Buck Martinez
    Methinks you're pullin' my leg. besides, according to one of Jim Bouton's books, Martinez is a thug who threatened Bouton, so for that alone, I'm banning him from my league 😉
  9. weedhopper
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 05:13
    KC is shaping up as a team of speed merchants. Otis, Wilson, and Jackson might be the equal of the fastest 3 teammates on the other 16: Wagner, Carey, and L Waner (Pirates).
  10. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 06:20
    Freddie Patek.
  11. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 14:441 edit
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Yes--the 3 you name are considered to have the best pitching staffs, along with the Indians (tho they lack an abundance of lefties)

All those should qualify. Since the other 16 charts were made before the DH, I'll have to look up where McRae played before his permanent DH role. Seems like he was an OF for the Reds at one time.
    The A's are always sneaky good.

Their pitching Grove, Alexander, Blue, Hunter, Fingers, & Eck (and maybe some others) is the deepest.

And the line-up is solid:

C Cochrane
    1b Foxx (unless you move foxx to 3B and play McGwire)
    2B Eddie Collins
    SS Bert Campaneris ???
    3B Jimmy collins, Sal Bando, Foxx .... is there some one else?

LF Al Simmons (probably the most under-rated hitter of all time)
    CF ???? Canseco maybe?
    RF Reggie Jackson

EDIT: I've never played SI baseball, so I don't know how it works.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 15:52
    Frank White if you need a second baseman and Bud Black might make the team if you need an extra pitcher.
  13. weedhopper
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 16:23
    Originally posted by Red Night
    The A's are always sneaky good.

Their pitching Grove, Alexander, Blue, Hunter, Fingers, & Eck (and maybe some others) is the deepest.

And the line-up is solid:

C Cochrane
    1b Foxx (unless you move foxx to 3B and play McGwire)
    2B Eddie Collins
    SS Bert Campaneris ???
    3B Jimmy collins, Sal Bando, Foxx .... is there some one else?

LF Al Simm ...[text shortened]... ?
    RF Reggie Jackson

EDIT: I've never played SI baseball, so I don't know how it works.
    It's a good, quick game, but very accurate statistically. The A's are very good--Campy is the ss if you want speed, but a fellow named Eddie Joost has better hitting numbers. They makers of the game gave Alexander to the Phillies, but Grove, Plank, Bender, Wadell, and those you mentioned are the equal of any staff.
    Since the Chisox got E. Collins, the usual A's 2B is Max Bishop, who averages about a walk and a half a game! Foxx can play 3B, C , and 1B, but with Frank Homerun Baker at third, Foxx usually holds first.
    Simmons and Jackson are fixtures, with Elmer Valo, Wally Moses and Rickey Henderson all good to excellent.
  14. weedhopper
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 16:24
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Freddie Patek.
    that's right--traded from Pittsburg, and had a good career in KC
  15. weedhopper
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 16:25
    Originally posted by leepound
    Frank White if you need a second baseman and Bud Black might make the team if you need an extra pitcher.
    Looks like Frank's a given, and my brother agrees--he think Black is deserving of a slot of the top 9 pitchers in KC history.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree