1. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '11 19:14
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Well, they could always get a cheap home-grown coach - and get their money's worth by ending up fourth from the bottom. 😛

Richard
    you never mind that, Die Mannschaft are awesome! 😛
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Nov '11 15:15
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you never mind that, Die Mannschaft are awesome! 😛
    Yes, they are - they learn to play in the Dutch style ever more and more, while the Dutch team descends into playing Deutsches Fußball 🙁.

Richard
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Nov '11 15:32
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yeah Gus was da man!
    Gus who? You mean Guus? Yeah, Guus was da man - "was" is right. He lost with Turkey because he took on the wrong team, and England would be the ultimate wrong team for him for the same reasons he didn't work for Turkey.

What he needs is a bunch of enthusiastic young guys, willing to listen to him, with potential which his predecessors didn't manage to get out of them. He can take a team to its maximum when it isn't there yet - what he cannot do is work miracles. He merely made it look that way when he took on teams which had been assumed to be mediocre by their previous coaches.
    This worked for South Korea, Australia and Russia. They needed someone to lift them, still had something left inside, and were willing to listen. It didn't work for Turkey - a team on its way down and out, full of ex-stars and no-shows. The best Turkish player today is Mesut Özil. Guess who he plays for...

And England? Don't make me laugh. Bunch of celebrities and prima donnas. Prima donnas with talent, yes. Lots of talent, perhaps the second most talented team in the world, after Spain. But prima donnas still, and no team. And when you don't have a team, but a load of prima donnas who want it all to be about me me me and don't want to be in a team, Guus Hiddink is exactly the wrong man for you.
    And yes, much the same thing is true of Chelsea. It's in the same place as the English national team, really.

What you need is someone with a cat-o'-nine, and no hesitation to use it. Kick out the don't-wannas, and get in some new blood that wants to play team. But don't ask me who would qualify, and be acceptable, and be daft enough to take on the (either) job.

Richard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree