1. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    08 Jul '12 12:44
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Sampras was by far the best power tennis player the game has seen.
    Yes - but unfortunately, IMO, that's the only "best" he was. He won by sheer power, not by finesse or technique. He bored me. Sorry, Pete.

Richard
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jul '12 21:071 edit
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Yes - but unfortunately, IMO, that's the only "best" he was. He won by sheer power, not by finesse or technique. He bored me. Sorry, Pete.

Richard
    Andy da man, it takes a weeping Scotsman to bring Britannia together, where are you
    English nationalists, where are you Scottish nationalists, UK, for evah!
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Jul '12 22:183 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Andy da man, it takes a weeping Scotsman to bring Britannia together, where are you
    Another privilaged millionaire sports person blubbing on international TV because life today didn't quite turn out like the rest of box of chocolates he's been given. These people aren't heroes, they're children; spoilt brats even.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Jul '12 23:261 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Another privilaged millionaire sports person blubbing on international TV because life today didn't quite turn out like the rest of box of chocolates he's been given. These people aren't heroes, they're children; spoilt brats even.
    You may be forgetting the school massacre that took place at Andy's school when he was 8 years old, 15 odd children and a teacher killed by a mad gunman? Or does that stuff just fly over your head, who gives a shyte?

Did you think Andy was brought up in a millionaire house?

He was also born with a condition that left his kneecap as two bones instead of one, impacting his play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_school_massacre

That was a callous statement on your part, totally uncalled for.
  5. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 08:00
    I understand that Andy Murray apologised to Federer in case his emotions detracted from his victory. As Federer has found himself in the same position, I am sure he undersood.

Murray's apology shows a sense of judgement and good grace that was sadly lacking in your post.
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 09:05
    You think he was just 'given' his professional tennis player status? 🙄
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 13:40
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I thought it was "Ireland forever"?

How quickly you forget!

Richard
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 13:45
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    However I think Murray will either crack up, or play the game of his life tomorrow, and if it is the latter I think he can beat the Federer I watched yesterday.
    As it turned out, he did neither, so it was a match worth watching. At least Murray can take comfort from the knowledge that the first thing he said after the match was an accurate assessment: he is getting closer.

Richard
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 16:091 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You may be forgetting the school massacre that took place at Andy's school when he was 8 years old, 15 odd children and a teacher killed by a mad gunman? Or does that stuff just fly over your head, who gives a shyte?

Did you think Andy was brought up in a millionaire house?

He was also born with a condition that left his kneecap as two bones instead o ...[text shortened]... ki/Dunblane_school_massacre

That was a callous statement on your part, totally uncalled for.
    What's callous about criticising a celebrity for crying on TV?

It's the done thing these days for sports people and actors to burst into tears when winning awards or losing them. It's attention seeking the contemporary way and selfishness of the highest order when done by losers who simply can't cope with being second best on the day and respecting the winner. Andy Murray should have stood up like a man and salute Federer for a great win instead of sobbing like an attention seeking child.

Losing at tennis has nothing to do with child murder and you claiming it does reveals you own inability to separate one from the other.
  10. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 18:52
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    As it turned out, he did neither, so it was a match worth watching. At least Murray can take comfort from the knowledge that the first thing he said after the match was an accurate assessment: he is getting closer.

Richard
    I was getting quite excited after the first set, I do not think rain break helped Murray the way it did Federer, but them's the breaks.

To get beaten by the best player in the world at a Wimbledon final is nothing to be shy about.

I think in the emotional aftermath Murray and the media forgot that He was the first Brit to walk away with that silver plate for 74yrs.

I must say I am a bit disappointed with the attitude of some of my fellow Englishmen in this thread.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Jul '12 00:323 edits
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    I understand that Andy Murray apologised to Federer in case his emotions detracted from his victory. As Federer has found himself in the same position, I am sure he undersood.

Murray's apology shows a sense of judgement and good grace that was sadly lacking in your post.
    See my post above regarding this. I didn't hear about an apology from Murray, but the very fact that he felt one was required speaks volumes of the incident.

How contestants accept defeat says at least as much about the competitor, as does how they accept the accolades for winning; probalby more so.

I hold fast to my judgement and my post.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Jul '12 01:061 edit
    In the tunnel that leads to Wimbledon’s Centre Court, the players pass under two lines of poetry by Rudyard Kipling:

“If you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two impostors just the same.”

I feel this is an appropriate and convincing metaphor which exemplifies my apparently controversial point about Andy Murray’s histrionics on Sunday. Victory is never only about winning itself, it is about how we conduct ourselves in defeat.
    Here is the complete poem by Kipling:

IF you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;
    If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
    Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
    And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
    If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;

If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
    Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:
    If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
    And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;
    If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'
    If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    ' Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
    if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
    If all men count with you, but none too much;
    If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
    Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
    And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Jul '12 01:26
    What's callous about criticising a celebrity for crying on TV?

It's the done thing these days for sports people and actors to burst into tears when winning awards or losing them. It's attention seeking the contemporary way and selfishness of the highest order when done by losers who simply can't cope with being second best on the day and respecting ...[text shortened]... d murder and you claiming it does reveals you own inability to separate one from the other.
    So if you were a top 5 tennis player and you wouldn't cry or sniffle, you would take it like a MAN if you lost bigtime like that... Bullcrap.
  14. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    10 Jul '12 02:29
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So if you were a top 5 tennis player and you wouldn't cry or sniffle, you would take it like a MAN if you lost bigtime like that... Bullcrap.
    He would, and he would NEVER say bullcrap either!!
  15. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    10 Jul '12 05:20
    In the tunnel that leads to Wimbledon’s Centre Court, the players pass under two lines of poetry by Rudyard Kipling:

[b]“If you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two impostors just the same.”

I feel this is an appropriate and convincing metaphor which exemplifies my apparently controversial point about Andy Murray’s his ...[text shortened]... that's in it,
    And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son! [/i]

Rudyard Kipling[/b]
    "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;"

Are you assuming He will not cry When He wins Wimbledon, if men give themselves permission to cry more often the world might just be a better place.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree