1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 16:00
    If you are either, it is just about time to report for Spring Training!

Get there early, and you can get a game of Pickle going!

P-
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 15:49
    I got a feeling you are both pitcher AND catcher
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 16:11
    Originally posted by uzless
    I got a feeling you are both pitcher AND catcher
    No, I'm a pitcher... my thin physique can't take the punishment of being a catcher. All those balls bouncing off me day after day would take their toll very quickly.

P-
  4. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 16:53
    In my younger years, a girl of questionable morals ensured that I caught something... and this was after several pitchers of beer!

😛
  5. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    16 Feb '08 14:14
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    If you are either, it is just about time to report for Spring Training!

Get there early, and you can get a game of Pickle going!

P-
    When I played ball I played some catcher, but wanted to be a pitcher.

SS and 2B was where I was a master though. A regular Mark Belanger. Unfortunately I hit like Belanger as well.
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    16 Feb '08 22:58
    Originally posted by badmoon
    When I played ball I played some catcher, but wanted to be a pitcher.

SS and 2B was where I was a master though. A regular Mark Belanger. Unfortunately I hit like Belanger as well.
    I used to love that guy. Sjhame he died at a young age of lung cancer. One of the greatest shortstops ever. That infield of Dave Johnson, Brooks Robinson and Belanger was like having a fence in the infield.
  7. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 00:14
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I used to love that guy. Sjhame he died at a young age of lung cancer. One of the greatest shortstops ever. That infield of Dave Johnson, Brooks Robinson and Belanger was like having a fence in the infield.
    That was indeed a great infield for a great team. But, I must muddy the waters. Dave Johnson hit 40 homers out of nowhere in Atlanta. The original steroid user in baseball, I believe.
  8. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    19 Feb '08 20:041 edit
    No, I'm a pitcher... my thin physique can't take the punishment of being a catcher. All those balls bouncing off me day after day would take their toll very quickly.

P-
    Were those balls bouncing off of you day after day coming off of the bats of opposing hitters while you were pitching? LOL
  9. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    19 Feb '08 20:12
    Here is the question that has been argued by many over the years.

"Who calls the game...the pitcher or the catcher?"

Before all of you catchers jump up and claim you do....WRONG!!!!!!!
    The pitcher calls the game....the catcher makes suggestions. The pitcher can shake off the catcher, not vice versa. Now, a catcher that is in sync with a pitcher during a game will make for a brilliant game.

I will make one exception to the rule however. Rookie pitchers or young pitchers are generally instructed to let the veteran catchers call the game. Rookie catchers rarely call the game for veteran pitchers.

In college, I was pitching to a kid who was catching his first game. His "pitch suggestions" were so bad in the first inning that after I shook him off for the 8th time in the first inning, I called the game from the mound giving him the signals with adds and deducts. Sped the game up that way.
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 Feb '08 15:13
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Here is the question that has been argued by many over the years.

"Who calls the game...the pitcher or the catcher?"

Before all of you catchers jump up and claim you do....WRONG!!!!!!!
    The pitcher calls the game....the catcher makes suggestions. The pitcher can shake off the catcher, not vice versa. Now, a catcher that is in sync with a pitcher d ...[text shortened]... game from the mound giving him the signals with adds and deducts. Sped the game up that way.
    Even veteran pitchers better listen to Veritek... my understanding is he does a LOT of research on batters.

Of course a pitcher can shake him off... I believe it was Schilling who shook him off and got creamed. Veritek wanted it low and away... but Schilling wanted to blaze him with heat.

CRACK!

P-
  11. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    20 Feb '08 15:581 edit
    Even veteran pitchers better listen to Veritek... my understanding is he does a LOT of research on batters.

Of course a pitcher can shake him off... I believe it was Schilling who shook him off and got creamed. Veritek wanted it low and away... but Schilling wanted to blaze him with heat.

CRACK!

P-
    Come on, as a pitcher, did you ever disagree with a sign, but throw it anyway, only to have a seed hit at you? Catchers aren't perfect either, they just take the credit for it. Don't get me wrong, a great game calling catcher ( Varitek, Ausmus, Pena, Bench, Carter, etc..) are a huge asset because they are generally on the same page with you. They also know what you have working in your arsenal on a particular day as well. But, just like a catcher studies hitter tendencies and what worked and what didn't, it doesn't mean it will work for you as well. Your heat may not be as good or move as much, your slitty may not be as sharp, you may telegraph more than the other guy, there are tons of variables. The main one is whether you have confidence in your ability to throw a particular pitch in a certain situation. Like I always knew I could fall out of bed and throw my slitty for a strike and it was my bread and butter pitch. I also knew that I had excellent movement on my fastball and I could cut it or tail it without a problem. I didn't through a heavy fastball or a sinker, so I knew how I wanted to set a hitter up. If a particular hitter kept owning me, I had to try different things to get them out. That is where the great catcher is a huge asset. But, the fact of the matter is if I can't make the pitch he wants in the location he wants, it is all for naught. I have to know I can throw it and feel comfortable with it. Pitchers have to be a bit warped to keep form getting screwed up mentally on the mound. If you are "in the zone" it doesn't matter what the call is because you are going to get it and there is no thinking involved. It is when your stuff sucks that you have to play a chess game on the hill, or you get the express ticket to the showers.

I guarantee you that for every pitcher who shook off a catcher and got ripped, I can show an instance where he shook him off and got the desired result with his pitch.

I had a catcher in high school who was always on the same page with me. I usually would not shake him off more than once or twice in a game. He caught me for 4 years. Then, when we went to college, I played for Texas and he played for Rice. It was always a chess game whenever he was at bat because we both knew how I liked to set up hitters. He also knew that if he crowded the plate I would give him chin music and allow him to dust himself off. That is the same thing that goes on in the show as well as players are traded or opt for free agency and battery mates get split up.
  12. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    20 Feb '08 16:21
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Come on, as a pitcher, did you ever disagree with a sign, but throw it anyway, only to have a seed hit at you? Catchers aren't perfect either, they just take the credit for it. Don't get me wrong, a great game calling catcher ( Varitek, Ausmus, Pena, Bench, Carter, etc..) are a huge asset because they are generally on the same page with you. They also k ...[text shortened]... ow as well as players are traded or opt for free agency and battery mates get split up.
    Ok meat.
  13. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    22 Feb '08 20:43
    Originally posted by uzless
    Ok meat.
    Grab some lumber and step into the box. You'll be the one grabbing your meat!! 😠
  14. Standard memberfreyballz
    Last of the Dunedain
    Middle Earth
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 18:39
    When I played catcher, it seemed like it didn't matter who was calling the game. As long as the pitcher was hitting his spots he was having success. Some catchers get offended when a pitcher shakes them off, but not me. Seems like you would have to have a pretty big ego to let it bother you. I always wanted my pitcher to throw what he felt comfortable throwing.
  15. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    24 Feb '08 19:36
    Originally posted by freyballz
    When I played catcher, it seemed like it didn't matter who was calling the game. As long as the pitcher was hitting his spots he was having success. Some catchers get offended when a pitcher shakes them off, but not me. Seems like you would have to have a pretty big ego to let it bother you. I always wanted my pitcher to throw what he felt comfortable throwing.
    Well, I suppose you could call it ego, or control, or just the fact that I was the one who knew how I wanted to attack a hitter or situation. Most catchers have the same ego you speak of. Kevin Costner's portrayal of Crash Davis in Bull Durham was not far off the demeanor of many successful catchers. While I agree that they may see some things in the box that the pitcher does not, they may also have too narrow a focus in a particular situation. I also said that if the catcher is a good one, they will usually get onboard with that pitcher. However, you see "personal catchers" for certain top pitchers today in the show. This could be a comfort zone for the pitcher, or due to that catcher's ability to block the ball in the dirt, or whatever the reason. But believe me, there are egos involved on both sides.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree