1. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 16:40
    Originally posted by BIGWAD
    I play for a small club in a mini league (nothing special) and we never dive.
    I know it's not all the same as pro football but surely some managers just like clean football?
    I'm sure that plenty of managers like clean football, and would prefer it be played that way. But, at the professional level at least, I think they also recognize that it isn't practical to hold on to such an ideal. The pressure to win and the money at stake makes it unrealistic.
  2. Standard memberBIGWAD
    bloody hell
    feeding the chimps..
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 16:52
    Originally posted by Fleabitten
    [ I think they also recognize that it isn't practical to hold on to such an ideal. The pressure to win and the money at stake makes it unrealistic.[/b]
    So what is to be done about it? Should managers be warned that if their players dive there will be minus points or they forfeit the match etc.
    I just don't like the idea of Arsenal winning 5-0 then losing because a player dived on one goal. But what other solution is there?
  3. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 16:58
    So what is to be done about it? Should managers be warned that if their players dive there will be minus points or they forfeit the match etc.
    I just don't like the idea of Arsenal winning 5-0 then losing because a player dived on one goal. But what other solution is there?
    There's already a solution. Diving is a bookable offense. If caught in game, put the man in the book the way Eboue was this weekend. If it's not caught in game but caught after the fact, like Rooney this weekend, put him in the book retroactively.

If UEFA, the leagues, teams, etc want to up the punsihment to try and deter diving, that's fine. But they should change the rule first to make it a straight sending off with the possibility for greater sanction upon review.
  4. Standard memberBIGWAD
    bloody hell
    feeding the chimps..
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 17:17
    There's already a solution. Diving is a bookable offense. If caught in game, put the man in the book the way Eboue was this weekend. If it's not caught in game but caught after the fact, like Rooney this weekend, put him in the book retroactively.

If UEFA, the leagues, teams, etc want to up the punsihment to try and deter diving, that's fine. But t ...[text shortened]... irst to make it a straight sending off with the possibility for greater sanction upon review.
    Sadly teams like Chelsea etc will find a way out by bribe or some kind of excuse, look at Drogba guys and all the times he's been let off!
  5. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Sep '09 10:03
    Sadly teams like Chelsea etc will find a way out by bribe or some kind of excuse, look at Drogba guys and all the times he's been let off!
    You know it really is a shame football has got to this , i remember football in the 70,s here in England and you just didn't see players diving .
    At the end of the day it is cheating !!! .You put your best team on the field to beat your opposition by skill and tactics not by cheating .
    Eduado, Gerrard ,Drogba even Rooney is getting in on the act , if caught they should be charged with bringing the game in disrepute and respective managers too !!
  6. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    04 Sep '09 13:39
    Originally posted by phil3000
    You know it really is a shame football has got to this , i remember football in the 70,s here in England and you just didn't see players diving .
    At the end of the day it is cheating !!! .You put your best team on the field to beat your opposition by skill and tactics not by cheating .
    Eduado, Gerrard ,Drogba even Rooney is getting in on the act , if caught they should be charged with bringing the game in disrepute and respective managers too !!
    I blame the foreigners. David Ginola and Jurgen Klinsmann have a lot to answer for!
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    05 Sep '09 07:48
    So, when will Rooney's two match ban be handed down?
    So you're seriously asking for retrospective analysis of all penalty decisions going back how far?

Or are you trying to claim that Rooney's penalty against Arsenal was the same as Eduardo's blatant dive. If that is the case, you have obviously never played the game, and have very little idea of how the game is played.

D
  8. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '09 09:34
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    I blame the foreigners. David Ginola and Jurgen Klinsmann have a lot to answer for!
    Bang on !! especially Klinsmann
  9. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    05 Sep '09 13:37
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    So you're seriously asking for retrospective analysis of all penalty decisions going back how far?

Or are you trying to claim that Rooney's penalty against Arsenal was the same as Eduardo's blatant dive. If that is the case, you have obviously never played the game, and have very little idea of how the game is played.

D
    Relax. I was going for a wind-up with the Rooney comment.

The bottom line is that UEFA's decision to ban Eduardo smacks of being arbitrary. If it was Drogba, Gerrard, or even Rooney instead of Eduardo, then Cheslea, 'Pool, and United fans would be saying the same thing.
  10. Standard memberBIGWAD
    bloody hell
    feeding the chimps..
    Moves
    06 Sep '09 18:58
    Relax. I was going for a wind-up with the Rooney comment.

The bottom line is that UEFA's decision to ban Eduardo smacks of being arbitrary. If it was Drogba, Gerrard, or even Rooney instead of Eduardo, then Cheslea, 'Pool, and United fans would be saying the same thing.
    I'm all for England winning but you could even see Wayne rooney was laughing that he got given that penalty as the challenge and contact was light.
  11. 6yd box
    Moves
    06 Sep '09 21:35
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    what utter rubbish- this kind of racist comments have to stop.
    Have you forgotten Micheal owen- he is one of the worst dividers i have ever seen- that penalty against the Argies!!???

Roony and gerrard- two more 'english' divers
    francis Jeffers- another one

Stop blaming the 'foreigners' and look at your own doorstep
  12. 6yd box
    Moves
    06 Sep '09 21:38
    Originally posted by phil3000
    [b]You know it really is a shame football has got to this , i remember football in the 70,s here in England and you just didn't see players diving .
    Phil mate u should read Fanny Lees' book mate!
  13. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    08 Sep '09 08:31
    Originally posted by spurs73
    Phil mate u should read Fanny Lees' book mate!
    I think i know what you are saying there , i seem to remember old fatty was a bit of a diver ,however 🙂 that was very rare !! I have read Nobby Stiles , Peter Shiltons ,Rodney Marsh etc and they all bang the same drum . i am sure they all must have the same writer ....
  14. Standard memberBIGWAD
    bloody hell
    feeding the chimps..
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 07:32
    Finally they have got justice and eduardo is not going to be banned! I guess they have to save themsleves
    lol
  15. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 09:24
    Originally posted by spurs73
    what utter rubbish- this kind of racist comments have to stop.
    Have you forgotten Micheal owen- he is one of the worst dividers i have ever seen- that penalty against the Argies!!???

Roony and gerrard- two more 'english' divers
    francis Jeffers- another one

Stop blaming the 'foreigners' and look at your own doorstep
    To be honest , i have to agree with Angry boy on this one , when the surge of foreign players came, diving embeded it self in our game . Klinsman was probably the worst [ Shame because he was a great player]
    The game now is stricken with players diving and Eduardo getting off as he did was a very bad decision , what does that teach kids at grass roots level ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree