1. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Sep '11 11:50
    Originally posted by Sake
    And as a fan of the game I prefer an attractive team that might lose sometimes, above a boring 1-0 win every week and a cup.
    Hah, yes indeed! But you won't see much of that attitude in England (or, indeed, Scotland), I'm afraid.

Richard
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Sep '11 13:58
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Hah, yes indeed! But you won't see much of that attitude in England (or, indeed, Scotland), I'm afraid.

Richard
    what you talking about? i love watching Scottish football, its full of incident, like watching two 1200 rated players playing chess, ok the standard is sub, but its entertaining from a certain perspective. Watching games however when there is no sport, for example Holland v San Marino, was dull, despite the fact there were eleven goals. The Germany v Austria games was better. One of the most exciting matches evah, was Turkey v the Czech republic, last world cup.
  3. Utrecht
    Moves
    03 Sep '11 16:40
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue

Richard
    True, maybe it's hard to see it that way when you're 'a fan' of some club and can't see the opponents beauty when 'your' club gets bashed.
    Today too many get horny only when a cup is in sight.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    03 Sep '11 16:551 edit
    It's a sporting competition. Usain Bolt is not looking to get points for style when he runs the 200m. If he does, better for the audience, but it's not the goal. It's completely secondary.

If my team's best chance to win is to play less offensive, then I bloody hell prefer them to play so. The idea that attack is what football is about or should be about is ridiculous. Maybe for those who see it as a circus and not a sporting competition.
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '11 17:11
    i used to respect arsene and what he was doing at arsenal, they were easily the best tram to watch in england but in the last couple of seasons he has become more and more petulant and childish at times. especially with the media, you really can't get an honest answer out of him anymore. like with the fabregas debacle, the deal was 99.9% done but could he admit it, no. just spouted standoffish bs with a stupid grin on his face. he's been acting like a child .
  6. Utrecht
    Moves
    03 Sep '11 17:49
    "The idea that attack is what football is about or should be about is ridiculous. Maybe for those who see it as a circus and not a sporting competition".

I buy a ticket for Eels for a great concert and not to see them play their songs as an exact copy from their cd's. I prefer E reaching a high note even when he just can't reached it, instead of accepting a lower safer note. Love to hear and see him try. He's doing his best for me. He's aware I paid €50.- to see him.

There is so much defending in attacking when it's done right. Look at Barcelona, the '95 Ajax. Way more fun to watch then Juventus, Inter, Liverpool, Chelsea or PSV isn't?
    I prefer the deep risky pass, instead of the safe one back.
    Prefences to keep the ball in play to give it to your goalkeeper, instead of rocketeering it out of the stadium to buy time (One reason why vd Sar was such a brilliant goalkeeper? He was a very good footballplayer, left and right footed and therefor at ease when he got the balls he couldn't pick up).
    I prefer the defender who makes the attacker run after him.
    The central defender who steps in to create an 'extra man' on the midfield.
    I have more love for the chip, then the 30 yard bullit.

But hey, that's why I am a van Gaal/Adriaanse/Cruyff fan, instead of Mourinho 😉
    They want to entertain and I buy a ticket to get entertained, not for a boring game with a 1-0 win week after week. But again, I don't feel connected that much with any club and that makes a big difference I guess.
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '11 18:26
    "The idea that attack is what football is about or should be about is ridiculous. Maybe for those who see it as a circus and not a sporting competition".

I buy a ticket for Eels for a great concert and not to see them play their songs as an exact copy from their cd's. I prefer E reaching a high note even when he just can't reached it, instead of accepting a ...[text shortened]... 't feel connected that much with any club and that makes a big difference I guess.
    answer this, do you think football teams are there to entertain us or are they businesses who want to make a profit and win trophies?
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    03 Sep '11 18:41

I buy a ticket for Eels for a great concert and not to see them play their songs as an exact copy from their cd's. I prefer E reaching a high note even when he just can't reached it, instead of accepting a ...[text shortened]... 't feel connected that much with any club and that makes a big difference I guess.
    I guess we see differently, I have only respect for the underdogs who manage to beat a stronger side by playing to their strengths, with an organized defense and midfield. And, I include Greece 2004!

I assume including Adriaanse was a joke. 😀
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    03 Sep '11 18:421 edit
    Originally posted by trev33
    answer this, do you think football teams are there to entertain us or are they businesses who want to make a profit and win trophies?
    None, they exist to participate in sporting competitions. That most are organized as private companies was a means to an end.
  10. Utrecht
    Moves
    03 Sep '11 19:27
    Originally posted by trev33
    Joy for the game came first, I believe.
    Later it turned out to be as it is today and as you describe it.
    Like you say, it should be profitable; but there are hardly any profitable clubs around today.
    As a footballconsumer I want to be entertained, though a trophy would be nice ofcourse, no doubt about it. But for me winning a cup would make me feel ashamed when it's done with the most boring play.
    Greece may be fine with you, I thought they were horrible.

By the way, wasn't it you, among others, who thought the dutch were unrecognizable the last WC because they weren't playing their wellknown attractive style and were in fact boring?
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    03 Sep '11 19:32
    Like you say, it should be profitable; but there are hardly any profitable clubs around today.
    As a footballconsumer I want to be entertained, though a trophy would be nice ofcourse, no doubt about it. But for me winning a cup would make me feel ashamed w ...[text shortened]... ast WC because they weren't playing their wellknown attractive style and were in fact boring?
    I said this:

And in its history the Netherlands team played some of the most beautiful football ever. I hope they go back to their stylish roots and drop the aggression.

I didn't say boring, that I can remember, I don't condone violent play, cheating, acting, etc., that's all. Playing defensively doesn't have to be any of that. Greece certainly didn't do much of that, that I can remember.
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '11 19:37
    Originally posted by Palynka
    None, they exist to participate in sporting competitions.
    tell that to the owners and share holders...
  13. Utrecht
    Moves
    03 Sep '11 19:39
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I guess we see differently, I have only respect for the underdogs who manage to beat a stronger side by playing to their strengths, with an organized defense and midfield. And, I include Greece 2004!

I assume including Adriaanse was a joke. 😀
    I love the underdogs getting a bigger team as well, but Greece........ no, after one or two lucky wins, it should have been over.

I don't know what happened with Adriaanse when he was the Porto coach and left overnight. Maybe he has a communication problem abroad? But believe me, he is a brilliant one. He brought a very very mediocre team to the Champions League (Willem 2) and reached with AZ Alkmaar the semi finals of The UEFA cup against Sporting with attractive football.
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '11 20:05
    As a footballconsumer I want to be entertained, though a trophy would be nice ofcourse, no doubt about it. But for me winning a cup would make me feel ashamed w ...[text shortened]... ast WC because they weren't playing their wellknown attractive style and were in fact boring?
    well national team is very different from club team. when i watch man utd, celtic or my home team glentoran i'd liked be entertained but if they win ugly it makes up for it a bit... but i would like to be entertained.

when ireland play i just want them to win, i don't care how... playing like greece in 04 or spain in 08 i don't care, i just want to see them at a major championship. with the national team they play to the strength of the players there, if that means boring, ugly football to win, that's fine. you're right i didn't like the way the dutch played, neither did most of the dutch people i know but would they have cared if they had won the wc? not a chance. i'm not dutch, when i watch a team other than ireland i just want to watch an entertaining match, so of course i was going to be disappointed with the tactics used by the dutch.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '11 21:44
    Wenger's Achilles heel is his stubbornness to prove that quality has nothing/little to do with 'big spending'; it's all about culture, attitude and style. His last minute buying this window emphasises his growing narcissistic self obsession. This season will be either successful (trophy of some sort), or it will be his last at Arsenal.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree