1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Dec '17 16:47
    Originally posted by @venda
    No I missed it.It was on at something like 09:30 on a Saturday morning when I was out and I didn't realise it was on so I didn't even record it.
    Talking about squeaking,I see you haven't altered much over the years, crowing from the top of your Coolabah tree when the Aussies win something and skulking in your beer cellar when they lose.
    I remember when Eng ...[text shortened]... to have a good supply of corks at the border in case any have fallen off your hat on the plane.
    England got like 4 ot 5 times the people. Aussies should be underdogs in many sports vEngland but they;re usually favourites.

Wouldn't mind seeing aussiev England soccer match. Prolly give 'em a run for their money in that as well

Well that was quick test cricket... basically over this summer. I cant see England trying something new. So many giving them so much advice, must be hard to concentrate. No excuses though. And they probably think they have Smith worked out. poor saps
  2. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    06 Dec '17 17:46
    No I missed it.It was on at something like 09:30 on a Saturday morning when I was out and I didn't realise it was on so I didn't even record it.
    Talking about squeaking,I see you haven't altered much over the years, crowing from the top of your Coolabah tree when the Aussies win something and skulking in your beer cellar when they lose.
    I remember when Eng ...[text shortened]... to have a good supply of corks at the border in case any have fallen off your hat on the plane.
    Er does England has a team at the Olympics?
    It's English arrogance like that which makes us north of the border laugh when you lot get thrashed.
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    06 Dec '17 18:50
    Originally posted by @roma45
    Er does England has a team at the Olympics?
    It's English arrogance like that which makes us north of the border laugh when you lot get thrashed.
    O.k.Olympics,commonwealth games, whatever.
    I was just making the point that Radio is very quiet when Australia aren't winning whatever the sport.
    One example was when I sent him a pm when England won the ashes along the lines of "can you tell me the result of the last test please I missed it" -No reply
  4. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    06 Dec '17 19:48
    O.k.Olympics,commonwealth games, whatever.
    I was just making the point that Radio is very quiet when Australia aren't winning whatever the sport.
    One example was when I sent him a pm when England won the ashes along the lines of "can you tell me the result of the last test please I missed it" -No reply
    There is no England team in the Olympics.
    As for the commonwealth games Australia are on top of the medal table overall for the 20 games combined not the best example you picked well you picked one that does not exist then picked one where Australia are miles ahead of everyone else.

Any team is only as good as it's current form but since you bring up the past results who has won the most games between the two countries?

Australia again

Perhaps a wee bit of research before posting would leave the egg off your face.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    06 Dec '17 22:581 edit
    Hi Roma

In the Commonwealth Games, as long as I can remember, our (GB, mainly English) top athletes have often 'skipped' them to prepare for the true prestige Olympic and, later, World Championships.

I am going back as far as late 70s here, with Coe and Ovett missing CG to prepare for the 1980 Olympics. Maybe Oz athletes also did that, I don't know.

The Ashes? Last 8 series have been won by the home side, apart from one exception (won by England, of course). Disappointing first 2 Tests, but things can only get better. At worst, home team win again. Roll on England at home next.

What Venda is saying is that Champ picks his battles. He hasn't mentioned Rugby Union at all. Of course not. England just battered Oz 4 tries to nil , for a 5 th consecutive win. Even you Scots spanked them a week ago.

Rugby League Final, a thrilling 6-0 to Oz. Wow. Who cares? How many of those will move to the higher profile Union very soon. And fail. Wendell Sailor anyone?

Enjoying the UK snooker. Ronnie looking good
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 Dec '17 01:34
    Originally posted by @blood-on-the-tracks
    Hi Roma

In the Commonwealth Games, as long as I can remember, our (GB, mainly English) top athletes have often 'skipped' them to prepare for the true prestige Olympic and, later, World Championships.

I am going back as far as late 70s here, with Coe and Ovett missing CG to prepare for the 1980 Olympics. Maybe Oz athletes also did that, I ...[text shortened]... nion very soon. And fail. Wendell Sailor anyone?

'who cares? ' well I'm sure some English here would have made a comment or 2 about downing the mighty aussie leauge team.
    Lets face it chaps, the aussies have England dominated in more sports than not. I note my comments about this and the woeful English soccer/football team have been passed by.
    Bring on Perth, get opn the Aussies.
  7. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    07 Dec '17 04:38
    Hi Roma

I am going back as far as late 70s here, with Coe and Ovett missing CG to prepare for the 1980 Olympics. Maybe Oz athletes also did that, I ...[text shortened]... nion very soon. And fail. Wendell Sailor anyone?

Rugby Union, snooker..........next you'll be on to tiddly winks. I believe your boys are very good at that.

Rugby union in Australia is a second rate game played by those who can't make it in league. 2nd rate rugby league players who convert to union become superstars, the latest being Marika Koroibete. I have no recollection of any union players converting to league and making it.

What a load of guff, athletes skipping the Commonwealth Games to prepare for the Olympics. The Olympics are held 2 years after the Commonwealth Games. Are you for real !!

After the Olympics the Commonwealth Games would be the next most prestigious sporting event for athletes (World cup football an exception but it only covers one sport).

The Ashes are over and we're taking home the trophy. As far as rivalry is concerned this is the big one.

Good luck with your snooker.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    07 Dec '17 10:191 edit
    Hi Champ

Wrong again (Rugby Union converts)

Wendell Sailor was the World superstar in RL when he switched with very modest 'success' to Union. Of course you don't bother about it, we are trashing you in every game for the past 2 years.

Another ridiculous claim re Commonwealth Games. For ATHLETICS It is Olympics #1, the WORLD Athletics Championships #2 and CG a very distant 3rd or 4th.

Think you'd been on the Tooheys again there, Champ, some nonsensical point about 'World Cup' football?? Are you seriously claiming that the CG are the 3rd most important sporting event on this planet??!!!

As for snooker. another sport that you no doubt lauded when Neil Robertson was WC almost 10 years ago. Now the 'Thunder From Down Under' is on the wane, 'we don't care about that sport'

Yeah, right

As for the cricket, as usual, no engagement with worthwhile points.

Again. the home side have won the last 8 Ashes series (except 1 , when we stuffed you). It is the way of cricket these days. Home team wins.

Argue against that. or not.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    07 Dec '17 10:27
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    'who cares? ' well I'm sure some English here would have made a comment or 2 about downing the mighty aussie leauge team.
    Lets face it chaps, the aussies have England dominated in more sports than not. I note my comments about this and the woeful English soccer/football team have been passed by.
    Bring on Perth, get opn the Aussies.
    maybe, Karoly, but RL just isnt a big sport over here. It is played by teams along the 'M62 corridor' (mainly Lancs/Yorks), and that is more or less it.

Apart from those areas, no schools teach it, it is all Union.

Our 'woeful' soccer team? is that compared to the Oz one? I missed that. Have to say, the route to Oz qualification, in which you dont engage in your 'local' area, and end up playing your close neighbours Honduras (?) I think for qualification is , frankly, a disgrace. Obviously taken to avoid the play off vs South American opposition, which NZ had to take on your behalf.

I wouldnt hazard too much on that craven bunch in Russia next Summer.
  10. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    07 Dec '17 10:54
    Hi Champ

Wrong again (Rugby Union converts)

Wendell Sailor was the World superstar in RL when he switched with very modest 'success' to Union. Of course you don't bother about it, we are trashing you in every game for the past 2 years.

Another ridiculous claim re Commonwealth Games. For ATHLETICS It is Olympics #1, the WORLD Athletics ...[text shortened]... ffed you). It is the way of cricket these days. Home team wins.

Argue against that. or not.
    Hi Chump,

Admittedly you guys are good in some spots. In darts, snooker and cheese rolling you pommies are very competitive.

Rugby union is the 7th most attended sport in Australia. 7th !!!! Just in from of darts, snooker and...........cheese rolling. Union is only played in private schools as stated before by players who can't cut it in League. No one I know follows it and quite frankly I have no idea how we go as it ranks just above........well cheese rolling over here.

5-0 dude. That's what you're boys are facing in the Ashes. It's only happened 3 times in history (all by Australia) and this is shaping up as the 4th.

Mate, I hope for your sakes that your boys can claw out a draw or something to keep the series alive and exciting. Unfortunately I can't see this happening and the series should be over after the Perth test.

Time you guys picked a decent skipper. The current one has absolutely no idea.

5-0. Happy days !!!!
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Dec '17 11:31
    Originally posted by @radioactive69
    Rugby union in Australia is a second rate game played by those who can't make it in league.
    Let's be honest here: Union is for adolescent public school boys, League is for meat-headed thugs. What this means for their popularity in various countries I leave it for you to decide.

As for pub games like snooker, I presume darts is big Dahn Onder.
  12. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    07 Dec '17 12:33
    Originally posted by @shallow-blue
    Let's be honest here: Union is for adolescent public school boys, League is for meat-headed thugs. What this means for their popularity in various countries I leave it for you to decide.

As for pub games like snooker, I presume darts is big Dahn Onder.
    The game that's played by the true sportsmen in this country is Aussie Rules. It's our national sport and the most attended sport. The first club game of the season this year was played between Carlton and Richmond. It attracted a crowd of over 73,000. The second game was between Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs. A crowd in excess of 66,000. AFL is huge over here, and rightly so. Great game.

In contrast the first Rugby Union club game this year was between Sydney Uni and Eastern Suburbs. It attracted a crowd of 252. A bit less than 72,800 less that the first AFL match.

Rugby Union just doesn't rate over here yet we are still ranked the no. 3 team in the world. Figure that !!!
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Dec '17 15:10
    Originally posted by @radioactive69
    Rugby Union just doesn't rate over here yet we are still ranked the no. 3 team in the world. Figure that !!!
    Yes, the desparate amount of effort put into sports success by the Ozzies (any sport, doesn't matter what) is remarkably pathetic. Evidently they have nothing else to derive rugged, manly selfworth from.
  14. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    07 Dec '17 15:23
    Originally posted by @shallow-blue
    Yes, the desparate amount of effort put into sports success by the Ozzies (any sport, doesn't matter what) is remarkably pathetic. Evidently they have nothing else to derive rugged, manly selfworth from.
    Man, we kick your a$$e$ in hockey !!!

Have the Netherlands ever won anything?

Maybe if they ever do you'll understand.

We Aussies are very competitive and enjoy playing sport. You guys enjoy making wooden shoes. Each to their own.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    07 Dec '17 15:33
    Rugby Union just doesn't rate over here yet we are still ranked the no. 3 team in the world. Figure that !!![/b]
    Rugby League ditto over here. Yet we are (presumably) no. 2 side in world. Figure that!!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree