1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Mar '13 10:321 edit
    "Shane Watson, James Pattinson, Mitchell Johnson and Usman Khawaja will not be considered for Australia's third Test against India in Mohali after ignoring team orders following the crushing innings defeat in Hyderabad. After the loss inside three and a half days, the coach Mickey Arthur asked every member of the squad to let him know three points on how their individual performances and those of the team could be improved.

The players were informed of the task on Tuesday night and were asked to ensure it was done by Saturday evening. Every other player completed the requirements, either by emailing or texting Arthur their points or by slipping a note under his door. However, as of Monday morning the four players, including the vice-captain Watson, had neglected to comply. Arthur, captain Michael Clarke and team manager Gavin Dovey met and discussed how to handle the situation and decided that it needed to be a "line-in-the-sand moment"."

Rest here: http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-australia-2013/content/current/story/624494.html

"I'm surprised that's the penalty for something so mundane. It seems like it was on a schoolboy tour or something. It's an over the top reaction."
    Former Australia captain Allan Border

"I'm stunned. I've never heard of this sort of thing before at top level in any sport. When you are losing there are niggling things there but they're grown men, it's not school boy stuff. It's not under-6s, this is Test cricket… there would have been a better way."
    Former Australia batsman Mark Waugh

"From my experience report writing is not a player's strength, no surprise to hear some failing, need to focus more on field short comings?"
    Former Australia allrounder Tom Moody

"Adults we are, not schoolboys! Please let's act properly and make good decisions in India! Need these boys playing."
    Former Australia batsman Darren Lehmann

"Too many wrong people are picked for jobs who give a fancy presentation!!"
    Former Australia batsman Damien Martyn

"What is going on with Aussie Cricket?? Didn't realise you had to do an essay to get a selection these days..!!!!!"
    Former England captain Michael Vaughan

"Implications from these actions are serious.. I feel it is deeper than it appears. Australia are in trouble!!"
    Former Australia batsman Dean Jones

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/624537.html

Talk of the "school boy stuff" seems to be the buzz but the Dean Jones soundbite is more on target, I reckon.

Thoughts?
  2. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 05:10
    Mickey Arthur is an idiot. I can't believe Australia would put him in charge after he was jettisoned from here.
  3. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 15:211 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    [quote]"Shane Watson, James Pattinson, Mitchell Johnson and Usman Khawaja will not be considered for Australia's third Test against India in Mohali after ignoring team orders following the crushing innings defeat in Hyderabad. After the loss inside three and a half days, the coach Mickey Arthur asked every member of the squad to let him know three points on how e Dean Jones soundbite is more on target, I reckon.

Thoughts?
    No surprise to me that ex players have mouthed off and failed to understand that the issue is not the merit of what the dropped players were asked to do, but the fact that they were asked to do something by the team management and blatantly refused. I suspect they did it in full knowledge that it was a snub and wanted to make a point.

In which case, you either discipline the players, or allow all future management to be held hostage to player power.

Can you imagine Fergie tolerating this at MU?
  4. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 20:37
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    No surprise to me that ex players have mouthed off and failed to understand that the issue is not the merit of what the dropped players were asked to do, but the fact that they were asked to do something by the team management and blatantly refused. I suspect they did it in full knowledge that it was a snub and wanted to make a point.

In which case ...[text shortened]... management to be held hostage to player power.

Can you imagine Fergie tolerating this at MU?
    You make a valid point, but still, if a professional cricket player is asked to to swim 10 laps and doesn't do it, it is a different matter.
    If he is asked to watch 3 hours of footage of his opposition and refuses, it is a different matter.

This was just silly, and I have to say, I would have done the same.
    Or handed in a page with just a big "F U boet" written on it.
  5. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 20:47
    My god. Just watched the highlights now.
    That Dhawan played something special. Some of his shots were simply spectacular!
  6. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    18 Mar '13 20:56
    Also, seeing Dhoni play... I don't think cricket has ever seen a better wicketkeeper / batsman.

He has matured into an awesome player and captain.
    Super behind the stumps, a very handy test batsman, a destroyer and finisher in the shorter formats. Plus he has the burden of captaining a country where cricket is almost a religion and done so with aplomb.
    Seeing him play these past two seasons he has finally eclipsed Gilly in my mind.
  7. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Mar '13 11:192 edits
    Originally posted by Crowley
    You make a valid point, but still, if a professional cricket player is asked to to swim 10 laps and doesn't do it, it is a different matter.
    If he is asked to watch 3 hours of footage of his opposition and refuses, it is a different matter.

This was just silly, and I have to say, I would have done the same.
    Or handed in a page with just a big "F U boet" written on it.
    “Winning the Rugby world cup was not about doing one thing 100% better, but about doing 100 things 1% better”. Sir Clive Woodward

Nobody thought Woodward was much cop when it came to on-the-field tactics. However, I have never seen any of the squad say anything other than Woodward was exceptional at overall management in terms of how to get from A to B. All ideas, however bizarre, were encouraged and could be brought to the table by anyone.

I suspect the Australian management may be frustrated because they see some players who:

1 Just think things will come good again in time

2 Think that the problems with the team lie with other players

3 Think they personally do not need to improve

So what they are trying to do is create is a culture where every player is looking all the time for something/anything to make the team that little bit better.

I remember Nassar Hussain (I think) insisting on test practice sessions for players in their whites. Does this matter a toss in practical terms? Of course not. But he felt that the England had become sloppy in approach and that turning up in Bermuda shorts was simply reinforcing this attitude.

It doesn't really matter in isolation whether Mr Watson thinks that an individual idea is a good one or not. But if that leads to a position where the team simply sits back and thinks things will get better of their own accord, the Aussies could be in the doldrums for a long time.

Hopefully.

🙂
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Mar '13 17:56
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    “Winning the Rugby world cup was not about doing one thing 100% better, but about doing 100 things 1% better”. Sir Clive Woodward

Nobody thought Woodward was much cop when it came to on-the-field tactics. However, I have never seen any of the squad say anything other than Woodward was exceptional at overall management in terms of how ...[text shortened]... of their own accord, the Aussies could be in the doldrums for a long time.

Hopefully.

🙂
    Well I guess the upcoming ashes will be the real clincher. If the Aussies win that, which they certainly could, then things will be back to normal, but if they get trounced in England , the ACB is going to have to take a serious look at the coach and team management.
    I have no doubt that they have the skills to win against every team in on any international pitch. But that could change quickly.
    Losing Ponting and Hussey, (who had both had outstanding domestic seasons), hurts the Aussies just as much as having Michael Clarke and Watson as vice-captain does.
    We are going to need some real hard-nosed batsmen like Steve Waugh or Allan Border to act as a decent spine for the team while it works out its main line-up.
    I would suggest putting David Hussey into the test team at no.5.
    And with bowlers like Mitchell Johnson and Mitchell Starc, you are really going to have to discipline them and tell them that it is up to them to lead the bowling attack, learning to play the percentages, like McGrath, rather than letting the batsmen get to them.
    If they get hit through gully for four, you dont put out a boundary rider next ball-which seems to be the trend with field placings in modern test cricket.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Mar '13 22:23
    Just to back up my selectors claim, there were no selectors present for the sheffield shield final (NSW vs Tasmania) , which starred possibly 5 or 6 ashes hopefuls. What's going on?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree