1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    17 Oct '16 11:38
    Originally posted by VESPIN
    You were lucky to see the cricket world cup. That had to be amazing.
    It was, I had tickets for 4 games but it just went to 3. Ireland were playing England and India within a week in the same city so that was a no brainer. Both great games but Ireland pulling off one of the biggest shocks in world cup history by beating England was something special. The Indian fans were so fickle, they wanted England to win at the start of the game but near the end when it looked like Ireland had a change that slowly changed to supporting Ireland.

The other game was the only quarter final game played in India, it was the cheapest ticket, only about $3 and I didn't know who would be playing when I bought it months in advance. Turned out to be India vs Australia which was the game I was referring to, the aussies had won the previous 2 or 3 cups but India played excellently and won a close game but the atmosphere especially when they just won was something id never experienced before.
  2. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    17 Oct '16 12:33
    Originally posted by Trev33
    It was, I had tickets for 4 games but it just went to 3. Ireland were playing England and India within a week in the same city so that was a no brainer. Both great games but Ireland pulling off one of the biggest shocks in world cup history by beating England was something special. The Indian fans were so fickle, they wanted England to win at the start of the ...[text shortened]... game but the atmosphere especially when they just won was something id never experienced before.
    I cant even imagine that feeling. I have never seen or been a part of something that big or special. Don't get me wrong, Yankee games with my father is as special as it gets. But an event like your describing, that is something most people never get to experience in their lifetime. Most people think everyone gets to experience what you did. As though it is a normal thing.

No way.

I am hoping one day, now that I am finishing up school, in a few years working in my field, I can save money, and get tickets so I can be a part of something like that. And I can understand why India started to enjoy Ireland winning in that game. The only one I can think of actually? Everyone loves a underdog. Plus if they were down in that game, and they made it more exciting by coming back.

I wanted to ask you, did you take your son? Did you get to share that with anyone? A son or daughter would be perfect. But friends or other family would be wonderful to.

I pray one day I can get some things in my bucket list done. Your fortunate, and it is a great story. 🙂
  3. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    17 Oct '16 13:28
    Anyone is allowed to play now. So nationality has nothing to do with the Americans owning Baseball.

Always will. In this life time anyway. In fact, Tankaka gets paid more then any other pitcher in history.

He is from Japan.
    And as usual, just an average player just like many that try to make it here. It's not a knock on anyone. There are sports we cant compete in.

You were lucky to see the cricket world cup. That had to be amazing.
    Tanaka was the 10th highest paid pitcher in 2016 and using WAR he was the third best pitcher in the American league in 2016 (14-4 with a 3.07 ERA)
  4. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    17 Oct '16 13:44
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Tanaka was the 10th highest paid pitcher in 2016 and using WAR he was the third best pitcher in the American league in 2016 (14-4 with a 3.07 ERA)
    And VESPIN calls him average at best.

Wow,,,,,,,hard man to please that's for sure.

America are not the best baseball team in the world. If they are Mr VESPIN can you please prove it. Facts would say they are down the list somewhat. If the Aussies ever put there top team on the field they'll give them an almighty thrashing.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '16 16:29
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Well toss the regular seasons records out the window the pay offs begin.
    The Cubs and Indians in the World Series.

Rack'em! 😵
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    19 Oct '16 00:06
    I cant even imagine that feeling. I have never seen or been a part of something that big or special. Don't get me wrong, Yankee games with my father is as special as it gets. But an event like your describing, that is something most people never get to experience in their lifetime. Most people think everyone gets to experience what you did. As though it is a ...[text shortened]... ne day I can get some things in my bucket list done. Your fortunate, and it is a great story. 🙂
    I was 25 at the time and spent 5 1/2 months traveling around India, was just dumb luck the world cup happened to be on. Girlfriend really didn't care about it so stayed at the beach while I went to see the games... I gave up an extra week or so in the Andaman Islands (google it) for the two Ireland matches. Worth it though.

Ireland were getting their asses kicked until Kevin O'Brien stepped up and hit the fastest 100 in world cup history at the time to turn the game around.

I remember I was going to the Ireland/India match and I was stopped by a TV reporter just outside the stadium who was looking for people to interview about the game 😵
  7. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    19 Oct '16 03:34
    Originally posted by radioactive69
    And VESPIN calls him average at best.

Wow,,,,,,,hard man to please that's for sure.

America are not the best baseball team in the world. If they are Mr VESPIN can you please prove it. Facts would say they are down the list somewhat. If the Aussies ever put there top team on the field they'll give them an almighty thrashing.
    You guys don't even have a league. Neither do the other countries you listed. We own the sport just like we own almost all sports.

Tanaka, should have had the Tommy John surgery (google it) and if he had he might have been much better. He is average at best. Look at the Cy Young winners and what their numbers are, and look at what countries they come from.

And in today's day and age, if you are good, America takes you. That is why only a select few ever make it here. Not enough talent if you add all the countries together.

Also the facts in here are as accurate as you are.

Here is a clip of an article, and maybe your friend can look up his facts a bit better. Oh and in Japan as i said? He had an era of 1.27, when he got here, just average. In japan he is a hero. Here? Just another player. I wonder why that is. And you guys cant play ball to save your life. You play us when we play college kids. Yes. You are the best on beating up kids in sports. You should be very proud.

Here is a little stat for you and your friend. Then I am done with you two. You both know nothing about a sport you don't even have a league in, and in the history of this sport, we own it.

Just like basketball. And so many others.

"The total value of Tanaka's contract is the fifth-highest for a pitcher in Major League history, falling in line behind those of the Dodgers' Clayton Kershaw ($215 million), the Tigers' Justin Verlander ($180 million), the Mariners' Felix Hernandez ($175 million) and the Yankees' CC Sabathia ($161 million)." By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

Funny? Fifth highest in baseball history. But tenth this year? Try reading the whole contract boys.

cheers.
  8. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    19 Oct '16 03:41
    Originally posted by Trev33
    I was 25 at the time and spent 5 1/2 months traveling around India, was just dumb luck the world cup happened to be on. Girlfriend really didn't care about it so stayed at the beach while I went to see the games... I gave up an extra week or so in the Andaman Islands (google it) for the two Ireland matches. Worth it though.

Ireland were getting their asses ...[text shortened]... a TV reporter just outside the stadium who was looking for people to interview about the game 😵
    And your girl did not go with you? omg....lol Did you marry her? I would not be surprised. Only because so many of our girlfriends, fiance's, wives, end up missing some of the best events ever played. Did you tell her about what she missed when you got back and saw her?

And you got an interview as well? That is more luck then I have ever seen in this lifetime. lol Sounds like you had an amazing youth my friend. My god you were really fortunate. 🙂
  9. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    19 Oct '16 03:53
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Also, your facts are fiction. You need to take into account everything. Not just numbers. So first your number on his pay was so far off it does not require speaking of again.

But here is just one random pole that makes far more sense then what your stating. It's a matter of understanding the sport. Here is a article and top 25 pitchers and Tanaka was not even in the list. Wonder why???? Radio, how about you explain?

These aren't fantasy baseball rankings. All-around play matters.

Clayton Kershaw is the best pitcher in baseball heading into the 2016 season. (USATSI)

1. Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers

Over the last half-decade, Kershaw has won three Cy Youngs, finished runner-up one other time, and finished third in his "worst" season. He has command of four-plus pitches, and he's coming off a 2015 season in which he struck out 301 batters. Only once in his seven qualifying seasons has he failed to make at least 30 starts. Heading into his age-28 season, Kershaw should still be in his prime.

2. David Price, Red Sox

Not for nothing did the Sox make Price a $200 million pitcher this offseason. He owns a career ERA+ of 126, and over the last three seasons he's put up a K/BB ratio of 5.78. Price, now 30, is a five-time All-Star.

3. Jake Arrieta, Cubs

Since he joined the Cubs, Arrieta has gravitated more toward a sinker-slider approach, and that's part of the reason he's become a true ace. He's coming off a dominant Cy Young campaign, and he also pitched at a high level in 2014.

4. Zack Greinke, Diamondbacks

The former Cy Young winner is coming off perhaps his finest season when it comes to run prevention. No, he's not a 1.66-ERA guy moving forward, but Greinke's a reliable 200-inning pitcher who's capable of sub-.300 ERAs and excellent command indicators for the next handful of seasons.

5. Max Scherzer, Nationals

Scherzer's career took off when he developed a curve prior to the 2012 season and began swapping out a few four-seamers in favor of the platoon-busting breaking ball. Over the past three seasons, he's run an ERA of 2.94 while allowing a total of just 10 unearned runs. That he regularly logs about five times as many strikeouts as walks and still hits the mid-90s bodes well for 2016 and beyond.

6. Chris Sale, White Sox

It's only some low-grade durability concerns that keep Sale from being even higher on this list. He's utterly thrived despite pitching his home game in a hitter's park and working in front of some generally poor defenses. Sale's one of the elite bat-missers in the game today.

7. Dallas Keuchel, Astros

Keuchel was good in 2014 and genuinely great in 2015. Keuchel doesn't impress the radar gun, but he's got a historic knack for the groundball (he induced almost 400 grounders in 2015). Keuchel's also a tremendous fielder, which is useful when you've got so many grounders headed your way.

8. Felix Hernandez, Mariners

King Felix has been an ace for almost a decade, and he's still not even 30 years of age. He's also coped with velocity loss better than almost anyone, as he's fleshed out his repertoire and ramped up his command over the years. We may have seem some signs of decline in 2015, but for now Hernandez has earned the benefit of the doubt.

9. Madison Bumgarner, Giants

The postseason colossus is also a darn good pitcher in the regular season. Still just 26, Bumgarner's ripped off five straight 200-inning seasons, posted an ERA+ of 118, and shown steadily improving K/BB ratios.

10. Jose Fernandez, Marlins

Hernandez worked his way back from Tommy John surgery and last season and looked like his vintage self in 11 starts last season. The further he gets from the procedure, the better results you may see. For his career, he owns an incredible ERA+ of 160. Insofar as this list is concerned, Fernandez is trending upward.

11. Corey Kluber, Indians

Kluber suffered some bad luck on batted balls last season, but everything else is intact from his Cy Young season of 2014. With an improved defense behind him in Cleveland, Kluber's poised for a big year.

12. Matt Harvey, Mets

Harvey's first season back from Tommy John went swimmingly for the most part. The stuff remains frontline, and his command improved as he went deeper into the season. It says here that 2016 occasions Harvey's first 200-inning season.

13. Jacob deGrom, Mets

DeGrom always had excellent velocity, but a tightened-up slider helped him reach the next level. Last season, he pitched to a 2.54 ERA and 5.39 K/BB ratio in 30 starts. For much of the year, he was the Mets' best starter, and heading into his age-28 season he should keep it up for the time being.

14. Chris Archer, Rays

Archer's simplified fastball-slider-changeup approach in 2015 paid off big, as he made 34 starts, made the All-Star team for the first time, and finished fifth in the AL Cy Young balloting. Archer also struck out 29.0 percent of opposing hitters, which ranked fifth among all qualifiers.

15. Gerrit Cole, Pirates

Cole's stuff has been exceptional since long before the Pirates made him the top pick of the top overall pick of the 2011 draft. Last season, though, the results rose to meet the press clippings. In 208 innings, Cole pitched to a 2.60 ERA and logged a career-best 4.59 K/BB ratio. When you master the strike zone to such an extent while also averaging 97 with your fastball, good things happen.

16. Sonny Gray, Athletics

Gray's a deep-repertoire guy (he threw six different pitches in 2016) who keeps the ball on the ground and has done nothing but thrive at the highest level. He's also put the stamina concerns to rest, as he's tallied 427 innings over the last two seasons.

17. Cole Hamels, Rangers

The lefty changeup artist turned in another characteristic season in 2015. Look over his career, and you're likely to be struck by the consistency of it all: 200-inning season after 200-inning season, sub-4.00 FIP after sub-4.00 FIP. There's much to be said for the relentless very goodness of Hamels.

18. Johnny Cueto, Giants

Hazarding an estimation of Cueto in 2016 means indulging in some guesswork. From 2011-14, Cueto put up an ERA of 2.48 (156 ERA+) while averaging a qualifying number of innings per season. Last season, though, his performance degraded badly as the season deepened, and he was anything but his usual self after the trade to KC. Injury? Age-related decline? Temporary aberration? Each is possible, of course. For now, though, we'll bet on the larger body of work and the Giants' due diligence prior to signing him to a big contract.

19. Jon Lester, Cubs

Lester's a reliable purveyor of 30-plus starts per season, and for his career he's registered an ERA+ of 121. He's also made impressive strides with his K/BB ratio over the last two seasons. From 2006-13, Lester ran a K/BB of 2.49. Since 2014, though, that figure has improved to 4.49.

20. Noah Syndergaard, Mets

Obviously, Syndergaard's ceiling is such that he'll one day be higher on this list, provided he stays generally healthy. He was quite impressive in his rookie campaign: 150 IP, 3.55 ERA, 166 K, 29 unintentional walks. That he averages 98 with his fastball and sinker and while also commanding a full repertoire is very much in his favor.

21. Carlos Carrasco, Indians

Carrasco's case is simple: He throws hard, has a five-pitch mix, keeps the ball on the ground, and last season ranked fourth in all of baseball when it comes to strikeouts as a percentage of batters faced. Expect more of the same in his age-29 season.

22. Adam Wainwright, Cardinals

Wainwright of course missed that vast majority of 2015 because of an early-season Achilles' injury. Obviously, there's no assailing his body of work, as his sinker-cutter-curve approach has yielded exceptional results over the years. When healthy, he keeps the ball in the park and limits walks. Consider this a conservative ranking because of Wainwright's age (34) and injury history. Vintage Wainwright is a top-10 pitcher.

23. Jose Quintana, White Sox

The chronically underrated Quintana has logged three consecutive 200-inning seasons to go with a career ERA+ of 116. Last season, the left-hander walked just 40 batters unintentionally in 206 1/3 innings. Ace? No. Consistently durable and effective No. 2? Absolutely.

24. Stephen Strasburg, Nationals

Strasburg's fastball-curve-changeup mix is truly nasty, and at times he's pitched like an ace of aces. However, also at times the results haven't matched the stuff, and he's had arm troubles at various points. Still, this is a pitcher who's still just 27 and boasts a career ERA+ of 126 while striking out 10.4 batters per nine innings. Strasburg's heading into his walk year.

25. Yu Darvish, Rangers

When healthy, Darvish has been a true dominator, as evinced by his impossibly lofty career K% of 30.1. He also averaged a tick more than 200 innings per season from 2012-13. However, in his young career he's dealt with neck, shoulder, and elbow problems, and he missed all of 2015 after undergoing Tommy John surgery. Will his command suffer in his first season back?

Coming Thursday: The top relief pitchers for 2016.
    Dayn Perry mugshot
    Dayn Perry
    CBS Sports Writer
    follow

Dayn Perry has been a baseball writer for CBS Sports since early 2012. Prior to that, he wrote for FOXSports.com and ESPN.com. A member of the BBWAA, He's the author of three books, the most recent being... Full Bio
  10. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    19 Oct '16 05:04
    Also, your facts are fiction. You need to take into account everything. Not just numbers. So first your number on his pay was so far off it does not require speaking of again.

But here is just one random pole that makes far more sense then what your stating. It's a matter of understanding the sport. Here is a article and top 25 pitchers and Tanaka was not ...[text shortened]... PN.com. A member of the BBWAA, He's the author of three books, the most recent being... Full Bio
    That's one man's opinion which seems quite wrong.

The fact is that America for all their shouting and arm waving have not proven they are the best on the world stage at all. Cuba amongst other countries have kicked their a$$.

You can't just make a statement that they are the best with absolutely no proof other than your own skewed worldview.

It's nothing more than a game played in the back yard over here and absolutely no one goes to watch it but still quite a few Aussies have made the top grade over there.

If America want to claim that they are the best then they have to prove it on the big stage. Until then they are probably ranked 5 or 6 in the world.

Suck it up and face the facts VESPIN.
  11. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    19 Oct '16 14:04

The fact is that America for all their shouting and arm waving have not proven they are the best on the world stage at all. Cuba amongst other countries have kicked their a$$.

You can't just make a statement that they are the best with absolutely no proof other than your own skewed worldview.

...[text shortened]... ntil then they are probably ranked 5 or 6 in the world.

as i thought. you give no facts. you say things that are wrong all the time. so when i give you facts, and the guy is a head writer for sports, he cant say it or write it without a series of fact checks. I gave it to you as you asked, and you do your usual.

I gave you what you asked for. You have no baseball, you never will. Suck it up, and talk about something you know about. Which seems to me, is only chess.

From here on in, you can talk to Roma. The people who know sports will understand you and Roma don't belong in here.

I can tell a long while ago you guys don't know or understand sports outside of your own country. which is fine. I am still learning myself about some sports I have no access to here in the states.
  12. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    19 Oct '16 14:08

...[text shortened]... ntil then they are probably ranked 5 or 6 in the world.

i gave you facts. you gave nothing but opinion. And you are entitled to it. We beat the best players countries had, with college players.

Can you even grasp that? We did that with basketball to.

Now go google who has the most gold medals, and medals overall in the history of the Olympics. 🙂

Enjoy your day. And try to live with it. I'm done with both of you in here.

You guys just followed me in here to start trouble. I have no interest in humoring either of you anymore. Learn sports then come back in.
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    19 Oct '16 14:30
    Big, highly populated country. USA, though.

Wouldn't a fairer 'google' be to look for gold medals/medals per million population, or something like?
  14. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    19 Oct '16 16:07
    Originally posted by Blood On The Tracks
    Big, highly populated country. USA, though.

Wouldn't a fairer 'google' be to look for gold medals/medals per million population, or something like?
    Yes it would..........Australia is millenniums in front of America there.

Poor old VESPIN doesn't like it when people don't agree with him. It's just plain wrong to run about spouting that the USA is the best team in the world when they don't have any proof to show and when in fact evidence to the contrary exists.

It is not sufficient to claim "our best players wouldn't play cause they might get hurt" or garbage to that effect. I believe Cuba also did not have their top team playing but totally dominated and whooped the Americans as if they were playing a pack of schoolboys.

No.............until the USA actually win something I'm afraid VESPIN that you'll have to contend with the evidence that the USA are ranked 4th or 5th.

Get over it son. It's OK, they will keep on playing the game you love so much for years to come yet.
  15. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    20 Oct '16 12:31
    Yes it would..........Australia is millenniums in front of America there.

Poor old VESPIN doesn't like it when people don't agree with him. It's just plain wrong to run about spouting that the USA is the best team in the world when they don't have any proof to show and when in fact evidence to the contrary exists.

It is not sufficient to claim "o ...[text shortened]... over it son. It's OK, they will keep on playing the game you love so much for years to come yet.
    wrong again. Don't you get tired of getting your facts wrong. We play college players. Two, every player around the world all want to play for us. I wonder why they don't want to play for you guys? hmmmm.... AMERICA'S SPORT!!!!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree