1. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 04:26
    Originally posted by Red Night
    78,000 people showed up at Giants stadium to see the finals in 78 or 79.

it was constantly in the news.

Soccer went from nothing to fairly big business over night.
    We had an exhibition game in Edmonton, Alberta several years ago.

They had some overseas team fly in for the match. It went really well and half the stadium was packed - afternoon match.

This is the same stadium that the Eskimos have won their many Grey Cups -- Canadian Football. Boo Argo's, Montreal and BC 🙂
  2. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 04:38
    Originally posted by RahimK
    You don't think more kids will get involved eventually?

I can foresee them mass advertising him around North America and then new football clubs and programs starting and more and more kids joining.

Heck by like 2200 maybe a N.A team might win the world cup. Who will be alive then though? hehe.
    ya, kids for sure...but then theyll transition into other sports...
  3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 05:17
    Originally posted by jvanhine
    ya, kids for sure...but then theyll transition into other sports...
    Football is a fun sport. What kid doesn't like kicking a ball around.

I think if you get them started early then they will stick with it. Depends on how much pressure the parents give the kids.
  4. Joined
    01 Jan '07
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 06:36
    I didnt think you could get decent cheese in America
  5. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 07:33
    Originally posted by 1WhiteKnight
    Anyway, talking about proper footballing nations, did you see La liga last night! I can't believe Barca threw it away last night, they had the title and blew it 1 min from time. Real will take the title now, sorry Seitse, Sevilla also blew thier chance last night!
    Yes! It was impressive. Exactly within 18 seconds the standings
    switched... even with Van Nistelrooy's equalizer Barca was on the top
    and most likely for good! Oh, but Tamudo from Espanyol froze the
    Camp Nou in Catalunya and... haha, oh boy, I simply love La Liga,
    particularly this season it has been a heartpounding experience,
    really.

Hey, Hala Madrid! 😵
  6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 07:34
    Originally posted by trevor33
    didn't the usa get to the q finals of a world cup not that long ago? how did wales do in that world cup?
    Yup, partly a reason why footie keeps going up and up, slowly
    but steadily, in the U.S. IMO.

What do you think, my friend?
  7. Joined
    11 Jan '07
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 12:48
    didn't the usa get to the q finals of a world cup not that long ago? how did wales do in that world cup?
    trev. Please point me in the direction of my post where I have talked up wales as a great footballing nation and said we are going to win the world cup and that welsh football is amazing? I think you will find I haven't. I am being objective when I say that usa are crap compared to Europe. Yes they did get the quarter finals, wow, we’ll done america, so have many other teams got to the quater finals (including wales for your info).

I acknowledge that money is being spent in the usa on football, that they attract stars who wish to end their careers there (even way back when Best went there for a period), and yes football is ever more getting popular in the states. Fantastic. My point is that despite all this and how encouraging it all is, you are still a long long way off firstly producing world class players (Know who Ryan Giggs is?) who play for the top clubs in the world week in week out, and secondly achieving a world cup victory. Yes well done the states reached the quarters, but their last attempt was…well being honest… very crap and the last international stage performance against the best in the world you went flying out on your arses. So please don’t post here saying how great america is at football or how great they are going to be, lets just wait and see ay. I know the limitations of my countries international footballing prospects thank you very much, I also know football and I can easily pass judgment on the level of football coming out of north america compared to that of Brazil, Argentina and the European nations, who continue to dominate international and domestic football.
  8. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 13:46
    Originally posted by RahimK
    We had an exhibition game in Edmonton, Alberta several years ago.

They had some overseas team fly in for the match. It went really well and half the stadium was packed - afternoon match.

This is the same stadium that the Eskimos have won their many Grey Cups -- Canadian Football. Boo Argo's, Montreal and BC 🙂
    Wow!

It was that memorable and that publicised that you can't even remember who the 'overseas' team were...

Fantastic!

...a half packed stadium!

And FYI

Most football matches kick off on a Saturday afternoon!
  9. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 18:591 edit
    Thank you Trevor.
  10. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 19:03
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Yup, partly a reason why footie keeps going up and up, slowly
    but steadily, in the U.S. IMO.

What do you think, my friend?
    USA is getting better.

We have a lot of reasons to feel positive about the future.

We were the only team to beat Italy in the last cup.

We went to the Quarters in 2002

And, we are playing great this year.

a couple subtle things.

1. Bradley is the first truly american coach we have had and the guys are playing well for him.

2. All of the strikers on the national team play in the MLS. That has to bode well for the future of the MLS and the National team.

3. The women's team is arguably the best in the world. That tells you something about how far we have come.
  11. Joined
    11 Jan '07
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 19:49
    Originally posted by Red Night
    USA is getting better.

We have a lot of reasons to feel positive about the future.

We were the only team to beat Italy in the last cup.

We went to the Quarters in 2002

And, we are playing great this year.

a couple subtle things.

1. Bradley is the first truly american coach we have had and the guys are playing well for him.

2. All of ...[text shortened]... s team is arguably the best in the world. That tells you something about how far we have come.
    😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴

1. yeah because that makes you the best in the world if you can play well for your coach, I mean fancy that, a coach that actually inspires and motivates your team...wow usa rock, they will be soooo good with that unique coach.

2. and we all know how much class the MLS has, wow what a league, all the best players in the world are flocking to play in that league, having all those great world class players to play along side will improve the level to best in the world in no time.

3. womens team 😀😀😀😀😀😀 lol sooo much...you make me laugh red night...I would pay for this entertainment...well maybe your women can teach the lads a few things, they are about the same standard!
  12. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 19:55
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Yes! It was impressive. Exactly within 18 seconds the standings
    switched... even with Van Nistelrooy's equalizer Barca was on the top
    and most likely for good! Oh, but Tamudo from Espanyol froze the
    Camp Nou in Catalunya and... haha, oh boy, I simply love La Liga,
    particularly this season it has been a heartpounding experience,
    really.

Hey, Hala Madrid! 😵
    I couldn't believe it. This is the first time I've watch la Liga week after week, it was unbelievable. Madrid need to double van the man's wages.

If messi had won the match with his hand of god I would have been destitute.
  13. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    11 Jun '07 19:55
    Originally posted by 1WhiteKnight
    😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴

1. yeah because that makes you the best in the world if you can play well for your coach, I mean fancy that, a coach that actually inspires and motivates your team...wow usa rock, they will be soooo good with that unique coach.

2. and we all know how much class the MLS has, wow what a league, all the best players in the wo ...[text shortened]... nment...well maybe your women can teach the lads a few things, they are about the same standard!
    🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
  14. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 04:19
    Originally posted by blade68
    Wow!

It was that memorable and that publicised that you can't even remember who the 'overseas' team were...

Fantastic!

...a half packed stadium!

And FYI

Most football matches kick off on a Saturday afternoon!
    Haha, Canada sucks at football and I don't really care who was playing that day and we did lose. It was expected.

I'm they have brought a great European team or S. American team then I would have been more interested and more ppl would have showed up.

But they brought some little team from overseas, funding problems probably.

But it was fun to watch football live again.
  15. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    12 Jun '07 05:55
    Originally posted by petrosianpupil
    I couldn't believe it. This is the first time I've watch la Liga week after week, it was unbelievable. Madrid need to double van the man's wages.

If messi had won the match with his hand of god I would have been destitute.
    Tell me about it, that Maradona clone is copypasting Pelusa in EVERYTHING!! 😠 Soon he'll be doing coke and stuff, lol 😞

Do NOT miss the last week of matches! It will be heart pumping football, mate!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree