1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 17:19
    Originally posted by Red Night
    What kind of a response would you like?

The inherent lunacy in the statements that you are making speak for themself.
    Time will prove me right. I can wait.

P-
  2. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 17:48
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I heard he bent it.

P-

[b]Edit!
    "bended" it.[/b]
    Ha! Quality!

(if you hadn't needed the edit)
  3. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 18:10
    Time will prove me right. I can wait.

P-
    By the year 2050, the spanish speaking population in the US is projected to exceed 100 million people.

Unlike the rolling stones, time is decidedly not on your side Mr. Van Winkle.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 19:04
    By the year 2050, the spanish speaking population in the US is projected to exceed 100 million people.

Unlike the rolling stones, time is decidedly not on your side Mr. Van Winkle.
    In the 70's they thought soccer was going to become top sport in the US by the 1980's.

Care to guess what happened?

Here is a clue...

Nothing.

P-
  5. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 19:44
    The Posh n Becks arrival was reported down under as a glitzy plastic circus that no Americans could care less about. Posh was rated as just another common wannabe glam star out of her depth in USA and a street poll showed most yanks never even knew who he was. Becks could come down here and run kids clinics where he would be appreciated and adored by our soccer youth.
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 19:46
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    The Posh n Becks arrival was reported down under as a glitzy plastic circus that no Americans could care less about. Posh was rated as just another common wannabe glam star out of her depth in USA and a street poll showed most yanks never even knew who he was. Becks could come down here and run kids clinics where he would be appreciated and adored by our soccer youth.
    Looks like your news is just as reliable as theirs! 🙄
  7. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 19:50
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Looks like your news is just as reliable as theirs! 🙄
    media show what they want here ..same as everywhere in the west I guess..
    Biggest giggle here is that govt now control the cameras in parliament chambers to stop media showing them asleep or nose picking etc. so radio and comedy tv are roasting them merrily
  8. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 19:50
    In the 70's they thought soccer was going to become top sport in the US by the 1980's.

Care to guess what happened?

Here is a clue...

Nothing.

P-
    who is the "they" you refer to? what were they smoking? in whose basement? and at what hour of the night?
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 20:56
    who is the "they" you refer to? what were they smoking? in whose basement? and at what hour of the night?
    You're going to claim ignorance on the big push to make soccer US's greatest sport back in the day? You've never heard anything about this? I can't find anything you can read up, but Jim Rome still talks about it sometimes.

Someone in MLS (I believe / or some other US based soccer organization) had said that soccer was the game of the future and would be the biggest sport into the 1980's and beyond.

As you know, we are still waiting and will be waiting a LONG TIME.

P-
  10. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 21:03
    You're going to claim ignorance on the big push to make soccer US's greatest sport back in the day? You've never heard anything about this? I can't find anything you can read up, but Jim Rome still talks about it sometimes.

Someone in MLS (I believe / or some other US based soccer organization) had said that soccer was the game of the future and would ...[text shortened]... 0's and beyond.

As you know, we are still waiting and will be waiting a LONG TIME.

P-
    MLS wasn't around in the 80's. So, I highly doubt that an MLS official made that statement.
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 21:07
    MLS wasn't around in the 80's. So, I highly doubt that an MLS official made that statement.
    Like I said, them or some other organization.

Are you thinking I'm making up a story? What's up with that?

P-
  12. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 21:11
    Like I said, them or some other organization.

Are you thinking I'm making up a story? What's up with that?

P-
    I think that you are confused or reporting some hubristic statement made by someone representing the NASL as a common belief.

No one was seriously suggesting in 1977 that Soccer would be the # 1 sport in the US by 1980.
  13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 21:19
    I think that you are confused or reporting some hubristic statement made by someone representing the NASL as a common belief.

No one was seriously suggesting in 1977 that Soccer would be the # 1 sport in the US by 1980.
    One man said it, and every kid with a Pele poster on their wall believed it at the time.

Perhaps soccer was bigger on the east coast than where you are? Perhaps you were not playing soccer in the 70's so it got past you.

No, I'm sure it wasn't a general consensus of every US citizen, but there was indeed a craze, and it was said by many that soccer WOULD become the biggest sport in the 80's when all us kids started becoming adults.

P-
  14. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 21:23
    One man said it, and every kid with a Pele poster on their wall believed it at the time.

Perhaps soccer was bigger on the east coast than where you are? Perhaps you were not playing soccer in the 70's so it got past you.

No, I'm sure it wasn't a general consensus of every US citizen, but there was indeed a craze, and it was said by many that soccer WOULD become the biggest sport in the 80's when all us kids started becoming adults.

P-
    Pele arrived in 1975. I remember it well. i saw him twice.

Again, no one was seriously saying that the sport would be # 1 in the US by 1980. That is just ridiculous
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    19 Jul '07 22:441 edit
    Pele arrived in 1975. I remember it well. i saw him twice.

Again, no one was seriously saying that the sport would be # 1 in the US by 1980. That is just ridiculous
    I'll see if I can get an answer from Jim Rome tomorrow about who it was, when he said, and what was said. It will be nice if they get back to me so I can shut your stupied face.

Other than that, I'll be waiting another 10 years or so to hand you your "told you so, America hates soccer."

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree