1. Standard memberBobson 94
    Fleeting Member
    Lisburn, UK
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 12:47
    (Relatively) Neutral observer - Berbatov ahead of Keane any day of the week, especially were it a choice for a strike partner for Tevez/Rooney/Torres.

Robbie is good, but not world class, or even 'special.' A good forward, but could only be a 'top' striker at a mid-table team. (He was not the best striker at Spurs when he and Berbatov were together) Berbatov has questions hanging over his work-rate, but his style is almost unique - and often effective. Reminds me of Bergkamp, in some ways. (Far lower work-rate though)

Torres is the best (most potent, most dangerous) attacking player in the premiership in my book...Messi takes the World honours...(people should feel privileged they watch Messi - I hope injury doesn't ruin him)

Still:
    Premiership will go to Man United. They've a clear advantage, and the easiest run-in.
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 13:10
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
    Premiership examples include Fowler, Owen, Rooney, all WC at age 20.
    rooney - 48 (19)
    owen - 89 (40)
    flower - 26 (7)

keane - 85 (35)

international caps and goals - facts don't lie.

you could say that keanes 35 in 85 caps is more impressive than owens tally as keane didn't have all those 'world class' england players around him.

plus he played and scored (against germany) in the world cup in 2002 what age was he then? even you can do the math.
  3. LA
    Moves
    27 Jan '09 06:02
    Originally posted by trev33
    rooney - 48 (19)
    owen - 89 (40)
    flower - 26 (7)

keane - 85 (35)

international caps and goals - facts don't lie.

you could say that keanes 35 in 85 caps is more impressive than owens tally as keane didn't have all those 'world class' england players around him.

plus he played and scored (against germany) in the world cup in 2002 what age was he then? even you can do the math.
    I can do the math 🙂

If you're talking about International football its a different story.

Fowler never made it for England, Rooney has been patchy for England and Owen has been quite good I would say.

I thought we were talking purely about domestic football.
    From the 1st game in the Premiership you could see that players like Owen, Fowler and Rooney were truely special.
    Its like John Barnes, maybe the greatest left winger i've ever seen in league football but a disaster for England.

I think Keane is a good solid International football player.

Is he good enough to lead Manchester Uniteds attack?
    No.

Is he good enough to partner Rooney for United?
    No.

Should he be mentioned in the same breath as Cantona or Bergkamp.
    No.

Is he good enough to play up front for Liverpool?
    Looks like Rafa thinks no.

Was he good enough to lead the line at Inter?
    No.

He was quite good at Spurs, played even better when Berbatov arrived.

Ask yourself, why did no big team go in for Keane when he's available at 19m?

World class strikers are like gold and at 19m every big team in Europe is alerted, noone was interested.

Keane looks quite good for Ireland because they are like the Tottenham of International football.
    Quite good, can be hard to beat at home, will never amount to anything though (no offense intended).

Basically what I'm trying to say is that Keane is consistent, stands out in an average side but lacks that something special.

Berbatov is starting to show true world class now for United.

On a side note, Rooney shouldn't be judged by his goals to games ratio.
    He offers so much more, last week Messi (the best player in the world) named him up front in his world 11 team.
  4. Standard memberBobson 94
    Fleeting Member
    Lisburn, UK
    Moves
    27 Jan '09 10:29

Keane looks quite good for Ireland because they are like the Tottenham of International football.
    Agreed with much of your other post...but Ireland are more like a Fulham or Wigan of International football. (Although, Zaki>Keane, for the record)

England are equivalent to Spurs. Playing in white, last major success in the 1960s, often has a squad that looks like it might cause an impact on paper, yet will never amount to anything when it counts.
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    27 Jan '09 15:07
    I can do the math 🙂

If you're talking about International football its a different story.

Fowler never made it for England, Rooney has been patchy for England and Owen has been quite good I would say.

I thought we were talking purely about domestic football.
    From the 1st game in the Premiership you could see that players like Owen, Fowl ...[text shortened]... re, last week Messi (the best player in the world) named him up front in his world 11 team.
    it's true that international careers are a different story but you were the one who brought up world cup appearances which had nothing to do about anything. especially when as you can see keane has had a better international career than 2 of your said players. you could argue that done of them have won anything and they are all crap internationally but we'll not go into that.

no one is comparing him with cantona or bergkamp. and no one has said that he's the best striker in the world but the fact is that if you play him with good players around him he will score. he has scored when given the chance at liverpool but still rafa doesn't play him.

i think keane would be a great squad member for utd to have, already knows how berbatov plays and as someone who likes to stay upfront it would allow rooney to drop back and play the game he wants to. at the moment utd have 3 forwards who all like to drop back and get involved with the rest of the play. for me the rooney - berbatov partnership won't work. neither player is going to get you 25 a season.

actually keane made a very good start at inter but when lippi was sacked the new coach never really gave him a chance in a style of football that wasn't suited to keane. he was rarely played after that but ask any inter fan and they will tell you that keane would've been a star their if lippi had of stayed on.

19m is to much for him its as simple as that, it's to much for any striker that is going a be a squad player but for 10m last season he would've been an excellent signing as cover or something different in the utd team.

the other guy is right about ireland being the fulham or wigan of international football, we are a very small country with a very poor youth system that doesn't produce anything. any player that shows promise is shipped off to england to develop. plus the 'granny' rule has helped as big time, you could argue that ireland wouldn't have qualified for any major tournament if it wasn't for that. i have a feeling we're going to make south africa 2010 though.

england like spurs always seem to have a few star players who always under perform. look at germany the past 6 years, final of the world cup in 02 and eruo 08 last year and a semi at the 06 world cup. then look at the players they did it with. could call them the arsenal of international football, never really had the money (star players in germanys case) but are always up there.
  6. LA
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 07:541 edit
    Originally posted by trev33
    it's true that international careers are a different story but you were the one who brought up world cup appearances which had nothing to do about anything. especially when as you can see keane has had a better international career than 2 of your said players. you could argue that done of them have won anything and they are all crap internationally but we'll ver really had the money (star players in germanys case) but are always up there.
    On reflection I agree with you to a large extent Trev.

You are right Keane has proven over the years that he will score especially with good players around him.
    I really don't understand why Rafa dropped him after he found his form at Liverpool, crazy if you ask me.

I agree Keane would be a great squad member at United, but not quite good enough for a guaranteed start. He would certainly merit 30+ games a season though.

Berbatov though is now showing he has world class skills and his recent form is partially responsible for uniteds championship charge.
    You say Rooney+Berbatov won't get 25 goals a season, well maybe true but United play a squad game.

Berbatov is starting to play top class football at United.
    He's making the differance in many of the recent games and showing why Sir Alex paid 32m for him.

On a side note, I'm surprised you think Ronaldo is better than Messi.
    Clearly Ronaldo's 42 goals in the 2007-2008 season was unreal but Messi I think is showing he could really be the next Maradona.
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 20:11
    On reflection I agree with you to a large extent Trev.

You are right Keane has proven over the years that he will score especially with good players around him.
    I really don't understand why Rafa dropped him after he found his form at Liverpool, crazy if you ask me.

I agree Keane would be a great squad member at United, but not quite good e ...[text shortened]... 7-2008 season was unreal but Messi I think is showing he could really be the next Maradona.
    i like berbatov a lot, i was one of the people saying over a year ago that utd should buy him. but i don't think he and rooney make a good partnership, their styles just don't go together. berbatov has been playing a lot better since rooney has been injured there's no questioning that. i hope they can play together but i just can't see it, someone is going to have to change the way they play and it won't be berbatov.

i said ronaldo was the best player last year and he was. messi spent to much time injured to be considered as the best last year especially the way ronaldo played. yes he didn't do it against the bigger clubs all the time but you can't say that he didn't do it in every game against everyone else. sure he didn't play that well in the euros but what was messi doing in june? nothing. he didn't even turn up for argentina to play peru in sept. when i was in lima. tevez was suspended and no messi, crespo or the 'european football is to hard for me' i'm pissing off to play for boca again guy. so i decided not to go to the match as i'd already saw what a crap team peru has. 1-1 it finished.

anyway, i do think that messi is a better player than ronaldo but last year ronaldo played better than him. fact.
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    02 Feb '09 19:04
    Originally posted by sally cinnamon
    Must be true, hes s**t, cant score, what a waste of money blah blah blah. Oh wait a minute, no its Robbie Keane, it was in the scum so it must be true. Hang on are Liverpool top of the league?
    20-20 hindsight bump.

Are you impressed that Rafa can happily destroy team moral to enforce his authority on transfer policy?

D
  9. LA
    Moves
    02 Feb '09 23:17
    Do you not think their may have been just a touch of irony in the original post?

Yes I thought it was ironic, replace the work Berbatov for Keane and you may have been onto something for once.
    As usual you were 100% wrong.

Did it really not occur to you that maybe i was having a poke at the british press, and the idiots who were calling for Robbie Keanes head after 4 months at a new club?

It did, but I agreed with the press calling for Keanes head and I know you're an idiot, looks like the press got it right.

Maybe just maybe i was comparing Robbie Keanes situation with Berbatovs, and the fact that they hadn't set the world on fire at their new clubs doesn't mean that they are bad players, they just need time to settle.

There was no comparison.
    Berbatov was given the time he needed to adapt to Uniteds style and was clearly getting better in a team that couldn't score goals.
    Keane clearly had no future after Rafa dropped him when he scored in a couple of games. Rigtly or wrongly Rafa didn't want Kenae

Then you get beuts like you on here, actually agreeing with the clowns in the press, and the pr*cks that think football started in 1992!

Keane has been sold back to Spurs, so who looks like a pr*ck now?

I started the thread to see which of the many clowns that post on here would take the bait.

Well the thread has show clearly how dumb you are and who the clown is.

I really couldn't have hoped for a better outcome, than to have the biggest clown of the lot fall for it hook line and sinker.

I really couldn't have hoped for a better outcome. than to have the biggest clown of the lot take his own bait, hook line and sinker.
  10. where angels play
    Moves
    03 Feb '09 00:09
    [b]Do you not think their may have been just a touch of irony in the original post?

Yes I thought it was ironic, replace the work Berbatov for Keane and you may have been onto something for once.
    As usual you were 100% wrong.

Did it really not occur to you that maybe i was having a poke at the british press, and the idiots who were ...[text shortened]... tcome. than to have the biggest clown of the lot take his own bait, hook line and sinker.
    Lol you sad f*****r, you talk so much utter s***e. Surely you must have somthin better to do, like sticking it in your sister? You obviously know why things havn't worked out for Keane at Liverpool, and its got sod all to do with anything that has been written in the press in the last 6 months.
  11. Standard membercadwah
    ¯\_(^.^)_/¯
    Moves
    03 Feb '09 00:14
    Lol you sad f*****r, you talk so much utter s***e. Surely you must have somthin better to do, like sticking it in your sister? You obviously know why things havn't worked out for Keane at Liverpool, and its got sod all to do with anything that has been written in the press in the last 6 months.
    Is it because the scousers stole his talent?
  12. LA
    Moves
    03 Feb '09 00:42
    Its you who got the Berbatov and Keane situations completely wrong.
    My god you really are a geniarse.

You're now saying all the paper reports about Keane over the last 6 months are wrong, yet Keane has moved back to Spurs at a cut price 12m + possible addons.

Why sell a good striker when you only have 1 other striker?
    Why drop a striker when he scores 3 goals in 2 games?

If the papers have it wrong, can you please tell me why Liverpool, challenging for the League Title sell one of their two strikers and don't replace him?

Seriously I don't get it.

I really think Rafa is trying to get sacked so he gets his contract payed out, ready for a move to Madrid in the summer.

So funny, you have a small chance of winning the league and you sell your 2nd best striker.

What ambition.

What ever happened to your once great club?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree