1. 6yd box
    Moves
    31 Oct '07 10:44
    Originally posted by Red Night
    Hey, it's my team and Kasey is a great goalie!

I have Tim Howard as my back-up.

Romario said this about Keller after USA beat Brasil: “That is the best performance by a goalkeeper I have ever seen."

BTW, he has two votes in this poll already and that ties him for the lead!
    i cant believe that you American 'soccor' fans have forgotten Brad Friedel.. who i think is a better keeper then keller
  2. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    31 Oct '07 10:502 edits
    Banks
    Carlos Alberto, Moore, Baresi, Maldini
    Best, Zidane, Beckenbauer, Cruyff
    Pele, Maradona

Honourable mentions

Yashin, Brehme, Cafu, Matthaus, Puskas, Eusebio, Matthews, Charlton, Gullit, Dalglish, Di Stefano, Zico, Garrincha, Jairzinho, Rivelino, Rush, Van Basten
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '07
    Moves
    31 Oct '07 13:58
    What about Tony Meola???
  4. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    31 Oct '07 16:08
    Originally posted by spurs73
    i cant believe that you American 'soccor' fans have forgotten Brad Friedel.. who i think is a better keeper then keller
    What about Tony Meola???

Not to mention Shep Messing.
  5. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    31 Oct '07 16:18
    Top 12 Vote Getters:

Pele 8 CF
    Maradona 8 M
    Maldini 8 D
    Beckenbauer 7 M
    Cafu 5 D
    Keller 4 GK
    Cruyff 4 M
    Baresi 4 D
    Zidane 4 M
    Moore 3 D
    Matthews 3 M
    Eusebio 3 CF
  6. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    31 Oct '07 17:11
    Romario said this about Keller after USA beat Brasil: “That is the best performance by a goalkeeper I have ever seen."
    Greatest performance by a goalkeeper I've ever seen was Neville Southall. And good as he was, I'm not going to pick him for an all-time 11.
  7. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    31 Oct '07 19:11
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Greatest performance by a goalkeeper I've ever seen was Neville Southall. And good as he was, I'm not going to pick him for an all-time 11.
    Well don't...you are free to pick any keeper you want for your team.

I thought the results were interesting.

I thought Zidane, Maldini, and Keller were a little over-rated.

I thought Alberto, Muller, and Charlton were under-rated.

Most of these polls tend to favor the more recent players.

I was pleased to see Matthews do so well.

What do you think?
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 00:06
    Zizou definitely not over rated as for Paolo maldini his achieveents are unparalelled in club soccer.
    Defenders were rubbish in Matthews times and he had no tricks....a kick and run merchant.
  9. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 15:09
    Originally posted by Doyle78
    Zizou definitely not over rated as for Paolo maldini his achieveents are unparalelled in club soccer.
    Defenders were rubbish in Matthews times and he had no tricks....a kick and run merchant.
    Zidane and Maldini are good players.

But they are current/recent players.

The question is will they be remembered as being amongst the 11 greatest players of all time 20 years from now?

Zidane might have if he had won a second cup, unfortunately I think the head-butt will tarnish his reputation over time and he won't be on the same list with Pele and Maradona 20 years from now.
  10. 6yd box
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 18:57
    Zidane and Maldini are good players.

But they are current/recent players.

The question is will they be remembered as being amongst the 11 greatest players of all time 20 years from now?

Zidane might have if he had won a second cup, unfortunately I think the head-butt will tarnish his reputation over time and he won't be on the same list with Pele and Maradona 20 years from now.
    disagree- Zidane won the world cup and the european championships with France (u may be not aware of that competition in the usa) he also won the Chamipons League with Real.

A fact that makes him one of the best players of all time as he scored in all three finals. Even maradona never managed to win the top trophy in european club footbal
  11. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 19:06
    disagree- Zidane won the world cup and the european championships with France (u may be not aware of that competition in the usa) he also won the Chamipons League with Real.

A fact that makes him one of the best players of all time as he scored in all three finals. Even maradona never managed to win the top trophy in european club footbal
    I'm aware of the European Championships.

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say that I'm entitled to mine as well, despite the fact that I live in the states. (I know, I know...that is a pretty big reach for you and the rest of the euro-snobs, but humour me.)

20 years from now Zidane will be remembered for the egregious head-butt that cost his team a second title and not for winning a European Championship.
  12. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 19:10
    euro-snobs
    The pattern of bigotry continues. 😞

D
  13. 6yd box
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 19:141 edit
    I'm aware of the European Championships.

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say that I'm entitled to mine as well, despite the fact that I live in the states. (I know, I know...that is a pretty big reach for you and the rest of the euro-snobs, but humour me.)

20 years from now Zidane will be remembered for ...[text shortened]... ous head-butt that cost his team a second title and not for winning a European Championship.
    listen mate.. i did not mean it that way. I was not sure if they show the European championships in the USA as it only features european national teams.

It is a very highly rated tournament world football.

Your point about the head butt is true, but i really dont think it cost france the World cup. italy deserved to win... I was going to say by cheating😏 , but i dont want to offend all the Italian fans here😏😏)
  14. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    01 Nov '07 20:06
    listen mate.. i did not mean it that way. I was not sure if they show the European championships in the USA as it only features european national teams.

It is a very highly rated tournament world football.

Your point about the head butt is true, but i really dont think it cost france the World cup. italy deserved to win... I was going to say by cheating😏 , but i dont want to offend all the Italian fans here😏😏)
    LOL...sorry about the harsh response.

They do show some of the European Chamionships here. What we get is hit and miss.

Italy was a good team and you may be right..hard to say what happened.

And let me re-state what I was really trying to say about Zidane and Maldini: It is very hard to judge a players place in history while he is still active. If we ran a world-wide poll of the greatest, I'm sure Zidane would get a lot of votes. So would Beckham, Henry, and Christiano Ronaldo.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Nov '07 00:29
    LOL...sorry about the harsh response.

They do show some of the European Chamionships here. What we get is hit and miss.

Italy was a good team and you may be right..hard to say what happened.

And let me re-state what I was really trying to say about Zidane and Maldini: It is very hard to judge a players place in history while he is still active ...[text shortened]... st, I'm sure Zidane would get a lot of votes. So would Beckham, Henry, and Christiano Ronaldo.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree