1. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 12:55
    Define "best athletes". You'll get different answers depending on whether you're interested in endurance, speed, power, control, technique, and combinations of the above.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 13:04
    Originally posted by rhb
    Didn't we have this thread once before?

IronMan Triathletes.
    Decathletes.

Fool.
  3. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 14:00
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Define "best athletes". You'll get different answers depending on whether you're interested in endurance, speed, power, control, technique, and combinations of the above.
    Exactly, it's a stupid thread.

Just get on the bandwagon and make fun of people trying to be serious.
  4. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 14:01
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Decathletes.

Fool.
    Can decathletes do 10 reps 100kg bench presses?

No? Didn't think so...
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 14:12
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Can decathletes do 10 reps 100kg bench presses?

No? Didn't think so...
    Is that a sport that is included in Athletics?

No? Didn't think so.
  6. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 15:15
    It has been my experience that the best athletes, the ones that seem to be able to step into any other sport and play it well are Hockey Players.
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 15:28
    Originally posted by Red Night
    It has been my experience that the best athletes, the ones that seem to be able to step into any other sport and play it well are Hockey Players.
    What do you mean by your experience?
  8. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 15:501 edit
    What do you mean by your experience?
    I've played in a variety of different sports and events with hockey players. It is amazing how quickly they get good at something...golf...soccer...football...baseball...tri-athalons.

I suppose that most of my stories would revolve around golf...but I have a number of soccer examples as well and at least one for each of the others mentioned.

Hockey players tend to be strong & flexible, with great cardio, and extremely good hand eye co-ordination.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 15:57
    Originally posted by Red Night
    I've played in a variety of different sports and events with hockey players. It is amazing how quickly they get good at something...golf...soccer...football...baseball...tri-athalons.

I suppose that most of my stories would revolve around golf...but I have a number of soccer examples as well and at least one for each of the others mentioned.

Hockey ...[text shortened]... ers tend to be strong & flexible, with great cardio, and extremely good hand eye co-ordination.
    Still, Athletics has a precise meaning and Decathlon encompasses the essence of it.

Even not considering that, I'm sure the diversity of the trials implies that these athletes must have all those traits and probably to a large extent even better. It's just that one doesn't meet a decathlete as easily.
  10. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 15:59
    Still, Athletics has a precise meaning and Decathlon encompasses the essence of it.

Even not considering that, I'm sure the diversity of the trials implies that these athletes must have all those traits and probably to a large extent even better. It's just that one doesn't meet a decathlete as easily.
    No, you don't meet many decathaletes and I'm sure they are great athletes.

Frankly, any top athlete in any sport will often be pretty good at other sports.
  11. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 16:12
    You are all idiots, this argument is about to be settled once and for all...

Curling produces the best athletes in the world. You try and sweep that fast.... YOU TRY!!!
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 16:20
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    Curling produces the best athletes in the world. You try and sweep that fast.... YOU TRY!!!
    Invite a girl to come have dinner at your flat within 15 min.

Measure speed of sweeping.

PWN curlingletes.
  13. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 17:28
    Is that a sport that is included in Athletics?

No? Didn't think so.
    Eh? Best athlete doesn't necessarily mean athletics... does it? Did I miss something?
  14. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 17:33
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Eh? Best athlete doesn't necessarily mean athletics... does it? Did I miss something?
    Look up athlete and look up sport in the dictionary. There is a difference.
  15. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    08 Nov '07 17:58
    Top MMA fighters.

Gotta have outstanding endurance, tremendous strength and flexibility, insane dexterity (for striking and grappling). You don't need to run fast, but should have excellent footwork (again for striking as well as avoiding takedowns).

A lot of the top MMA fighters were highly decorated (some Olympic medalist) wrestlers and judo players and world-class professional strikers.

Decathaletes are up there too. The only knock I have on them is that the "skill" events really require very few motor skills. Perhaps decatheletes have the best raw potential.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree