1. Joined
    01 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 09:021 edit
    Originally posted by smartrrrrs
    Sonny Liston was in my opinion the best fighter ever known,The fact that his life was surrounded by mystery and somewhat dodgy goings on badly hampered his career This truly great fighter deserves a lot more recognition,any movie makers out there take note
    Sonny Liston v Cassius Clay - February 25 1964 - Boxing News
  2. Northumberland
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 11:451 edit
    Originally posted by kwjoe
    Dunno @ best boxer ever, too young to have seen Dempsey etc. But Duran-Leonard fights were exceptional.
    Roberto Durán was my favourite boxer, the fights with Leonard.. awsome ! Leonard proved he was one of the best ever boxers alongside Roberto Durán, when them 2 fought each other it was a pity someone had to lose ! both legends and committed boxers.
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 11:58
    Indeed! I can say those fights were the ones pulling me into boxing
    as a fan (never boxed myself).

Another one who is deep in my memory as a fierce boxer is Marvin Hagler.
  4. Joined
    03 Jul '03
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 16:58
    Ali v Leonard ____________
    Liston v Duran ____________ ____________

Marciano v Robinson ______________ _______________
    Louis v Tyson ____________ ____________

1. Ali. A little quicker and a little slicker. Wins a pretty easy decision

2. Duran. Absolute beast, as was Liston, but Liston was rawer. Duran in his prime was an utter assassin. Duran by late KO.

3. Robinson. Flat out the best ever. Boxer, puncher, could adapt to any and all styles. Power in both hands. Rock was strong but one dimensional. Easy UD for Ray.

4. Louis. Tyson never beat anyone really great in his prime, as ferocious as he was. Louis could box and crack. Louis stops Tyson late.
  5. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 20:13
    Originally posted by runninfiend
    Ali v Leonard ____________
    Liston v Duran ____________ ____________

Marciano v Robinson ______________ _______________
    Louis v Tyson ____________ ____________

1. Ali. A little quicker and a little slicker. Wins a pretty easy decision

2. Duran. Absolute beast, as was Liston, but Liston was rawer. Duran in his prime was an utter assassin. ...[text shortened]... great in his prime, as ferocious as he was. Louis could box and crack. Louis stops Tyson late.
    How do you think your semi and final would go?

ali v Duran
    Robinson v Louis

Someone give us a commentary...
  6. Standard memberskeyey
    Molon Labe
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 04:16
    Originally posted by Millwall Bill
    Surprised the thread has got this far without mentioning Ali. But would have to agree that Marciano as the greatest. Retiring in good condition with 48 wins under his belt. Of course world title bouts were 15 rounds in his day rather than the 12 they fight today.
    look back a few, Ali was mentioned
  7. Standard memberskeyey
    Molon Labe
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 04:24
    ive been a huge boxing fan for years, however boxing (thanks to the greed and antics of Tyson) has been taken to an all time low. Ive seen some fights when the judges must have been watching a fight which was not the same one I was watching. Im not saying that I will not watch a good boxing match now. But if you want to get your money's worth, and see the true warriors go at it. ITS UFC or PRIDE!!!!!!!
  8. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 06:16
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan

ali v Duran
    Robinson v Louis

Someone give us a commentary...
    Uf, Duran v. Ali would be fantastic. A true galdiator like Duran
    taking and giving punishment like a Thai S&M dominatrix, while
    Ali dances around damaging like a bee... lots of blood. By decision
    to Ali, I would say, with a Duran covered in blood and an Ali fatiged
    to vanishment.

And 15 rounds!
  9. cleveland ohio
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 15:47
    Ali was the greatest fighter of my generation(baby- boomers) Ali fought in a series of classic fights in the 60s and 70s that stunned and stopped the world for a while with everyone watching.... those fights with Smoking Joe frazier were classics with the frist fight being held on March 8 1971 my be the best fight ever and in my lifetime it is!!!!!! the 2nd fight was good and the third meeting was a Classic the most brutal heavyweight fight i ever saw with Ali winning After Frazier could not answer the bell his corner threw in the towel Ali was soon to knockout Foreman in yet another classic fight Ali fought classics with Liston,Frazier, Foreman,Norton Ali was just something Special!!!!!!!
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 19:33
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Indeed! I can say those fights were the ones pulling me into boxing
    as a fan (never boxed myself).

Another one who is deep in my memory as a fierce boxer is Marvin Hagler.
    Hagler was my favorite fighter throughout the 80's. He had a jaw of granite, good boxing skills and was an accurate and deadly puncher. I think he was the best finisher I ever saw. the 3 round fight with Hearns was incredible; it was unbelievable that two guys could hit each other so hard so many times in each round! Personally, I think Marvin got robbed in the Leonard fight (he always had problems with judges; he got a ridiculous draw against Vito Antuofermo in his first title fight and I don't know how the judges in his fight with Duran had it up for grabs until the 15th - Marvin won at least 12 rounds) and quit in disgust. At least he went out at the top of his game.
  11. Standard memberobliteration
    Net Preneur
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 20:45
    Originally posted by Alnwick Gadgy
    Roberto Durán was my favourite boxer, the fights with Leonard.. awsome ! Leonard proved he was one of the best ever boxers alongside Roberto Durán, when them 2 fought each other it was a pity someone had to lose ! both legends and committed boxers.
    Duran was not so lucky against Tommy Hearns, but he had to face a barrage of ferocious punching......

YouTube
  12. Joined
    03 Jul '03
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 21:19

ali v Duran
    Robinson v Louis

Someone give us a commentary..

Duran pressing forward and getting to Ali with shots, Ali parrying, turning Duran and counterpunching beautifully. It's hard to compare weights, and something tells me a heavyweight version of an aggressive destroyer like Duran would be active enough to take a decision, but I'll go with Ali by narrow split decision.

A heavyweight version of Robinson would simply be too much for the Brown Bomber. Robinson had a chin when he was hit later in career, I think Robinson is simply too good. Robinson TKO 9.

Ali/Robinson, All-time matchup of the two greatest sweet scientists every. In some ways mirror images, but Robinson has the advantage based on his greater offensive prowess. This would be a chess match of grandmaster proportions. A draw would be the cowards way out, but Sugar Ray by split decision is what I'm going with.
  13. Joined
    03 Jul '03
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 21:22
    Duran was not so lucky against Tommy Hearns, but he had to face a barrage of ferocious punching......

Duran was past his best when he fought Hearns, 20 pounds over his lightweight heyday.
  14. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    24 Apr '07 06:30
    Originally posted by runninfiend

ali v Duran
    Robinson v Louis

Someone give us a commentary..

Duran pressing forward and getting to Ali with shots, Ali parrying, turning Duran and counterpunching beautifully. It's hard to compare weights, and something tells me a heavyweight version of an aggressive destroyer like Duran would be a ...[text shortened]... A draw would be the cowards way out, but Sugar Ray by split decision is what I'm going with.
    The Ali v Robinson match (both in prime and both heavyweights) would have to be the dream match of all time. No one could call it. Robinson had a higher likelihood of a ko but Ali fought Ko kings so many times and had fabulous defence and movement.

Rnd

1 ding ding
    The two great fighters skip centre ring and touch gloves, Ali dipped his head to his long respected idol.. Robinson runs to centre ring Ali skips lightly backwards around the ring jabbing, testing his reach. Robinson has none of this skips left ducks under the jab and forces Ali against the ropes. Left right left to the ribs of Ali as he covers up and sways with the punches. Ali pushes Robinson away and side steps away unhurt. Ali bobs as Robinson charges trying to get inside the reach advantage. Ali back peddles away hands held low and pops Robinson with a one two combination to the face. This time Robinson sways and bobs as Ali shuffles forward chasing jabbing, looking for another combination. Robinson backs into the ropes and defends as Ali stings is face again with two left jabs. Robinson swings and misses with right cross and catches a right from Ali to the ribs.
    Ding.. Close round to Ali.

Next Commentator please...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree