1. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    27 Nov '08 16:10
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Uhm, guys please, let's not litter a thread about amazing catches with these useless baseball 'catches'.

Cricket uses a heavier and slightly smaller ball with an almost lacquer type finish, which makes it much more difficult to catch than a baseball. Because of this a cricket ball probably travels faster to the boundary as well - I don't know, I was never ...[text shortened]... makes the catch so special.
    Hope I cleared this up for our uninformed American posters...
    So, you give no creedence to the outstanding talent displayed in baseball because you perceive cricket to be more difficult? Give me a break!! Go back to you day job as a javelin catcher.
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    27 Nov '08 17:13
    Did anyone see this live? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9CVlabLuJ0&feature=related

It's amazing.
    Doesn't this guys middle finger touch the rope?

D
  3. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    28 Nov '08 03:17
    I thought Lyle Lovett snagging Julia Roberts was quite a catch.
  4. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    28 Nov '08 05:541 edit
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    So, you give no creedence to the outstanding talent displayed in baseball because you perceive cricket to be more difficult?
    I didn't say cricket is more difficult than baseball, have you taken reading lessons from Very Rusty?

I'm saying outfielders in cricket have a much more difficult time catching balls on their way to the boundary than baseball players in the outfield have, for the reasons listed.
    Therefore, none of the catches you listed gets ANYWHERE near these two boundary catches.
  5. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Moves
    01 Dec '08 05:15
    Check out Ricky Ponting's catch in the 2nd test against New Zealand.
    I think this might be even better than the 2 aforementioned catches, only cause of the less reaction time it takes.

But also in saying this it is very hard to judge greatest ever catch, as outfield catches,infield catches and slips catches all have different levels of skills involved.

A simply amazing catch though all the same.
  6. Standard memberElamef37
    Queenslander
    Tropical North
    Moves
    01 Dec '08 07:08
    And Roy's vertical one-handed leaping catch too, deserves a bit of credit!!! 😛😵
  7. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    01 Dec '08 08:35
    Originally posted by boarman
    Check out Ricky Ponting's catch in the 2nd test against New Zealand.
    I think this might be even better than the 2 aforementioned catches, only cause of the less reaction time it takes.

But also in saying this it is very hard to judge greatest ever catch, as outfield catches,infield catches and slips catches all have different levels of skills involved.

A simply amazing catch though all the same.
    Talking about this one: YouTube
    It's a great catch.

I agree with you, the fielding positions are very different, so the catches are judged differently...
    Great slip catches are almost just instinctive; great in-field catches usually involves very little reaction time and the player will need to have put in a big dive/jump; great out-field catches usually involve a long run and then awareness of the boundary.
  8. Standard memberlordhighgus
    Kara Thrace &
    her special destiny
    Moves
    02 Dec '08 02:25
    Talking about this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lth7TMCYkIE
    It's a great catch.

I agree with you, the fielding positions are very different, so the catches are judged differently...
    Great slip catches are almost just instinctive; great in-field catches usually involves very little reaction time and the player will need to have put in a big dive/jump; great out-field catches usually involve a long run and then awareness of the boundary.
    That catch was all instinct. Marvellous effort that!
    I cant find it, but watch if available footage of John Dyson in the 1970's taking a magnificent diving behind him out field catch. Dysons is one of the best ever IMO.
  9. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    02 Dec '08 03:06
    I didn't say cricket is more difficult than baseball, have you taken reading lessons from Very Rusty?

I'm saying outfielders in cricket have a much more difficult time catching balls on their way to the boundary than baseball players in the outfield have, for the reasons listed.
    Therefore, none of the catches you listed gets ANYWHERE near these two boundary catches.
    No, collisions with walls are much less difficult. So is scaling a wall considerably taller than you are is also much less difficult.

Have you always had this difficulty comprehending that when someone makes a total dismissal of a sport the way you did, it is a reasonable assumption that the person making the statement was implying it was less difficult?

Therefore all of the catches do qualify IMO. And, IMO, they are all much more difficult. There are others that are even better, but I can't find film footage to show you.
  10. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    02 Dec '08 08:22
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    No, collisions with walls are much less difficult.
    Yes. It's pretty easy actually - I did it a few times when I was younger and not looking where I was going.

Baseball catches are not even close to the difficulty level associated with cricket as they have a leather bucket affixed to their hands to catch the ball with.
    Thanks for coming!
  11. Standard memberivangrice
    Deracinated
    Sydney
    Moves
    02 Dec '08 09:13
    I agree after watching both catches this one is amazing.
    The only difference with this is that its not a South African catching it , if it were Crowley would be in total agreeance.
    What is it with Aussies and 'agreeance'? I thought it was only the Yanks that butchered English. Agreement, mate. Agreement.
  12. Joined
    13 Aug '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '08 09:40
    Did anyone see this live? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9CVlabLuJ0&feature=related

It's amazing.
    similar to this http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ijkFCpCVOYE
  13. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Moves
    02 Dec '08 10:44
    Originally posted by ivangrice
    What is it with Aussies and 'agreeance'? I thought it was only the Yanks that butchered English. Agreement, mate. Agreement.
    Mate go and find the grammar thread, this is about great catches.
  14. Standard memberivangrice
    Deracinated
    Sydney
    Moves
    03 Dec '08 01:38
    Mate go and find the grammar thread, this is about great catches.
    An opportunity to learn should never be spurned...
  15. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Moves
    03 Dec '08 02:19
    Originally posted by ivangrice
    An opportunity to learn should never be spurned...
    Unless its from an Englishmen, who never learn from their mistakes LOL 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree