1. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 14:37
    Originally posted by Tychoo
    Again only for the competition been expanded Liverpool would not be there.
    ... and ManU would only have 1 European Cup (in 1967) to their name
  2. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 14:38
    Originally posted by blade68
    This is an old argument, which also applies to Italy, Spain, Germany and France...

What do you want? 10 teams to compete in the Champions League?
    With only 3 or 4 even remotely capable of winning it
  3. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 17:36
    It’s sad to see the champion’s league has come to this only one teams remaining has actually won its domestic league.
    Who cares?

The previous years champions may be this years relegation candidates, while the previous years runners up may be this years world beaters.

The title Champions League is just marketing spin, ala World Series of Baseball.

I, for one, am glad that the top teams from the top leagues all get a chance to compete.

D
  4. Cavan, Ireland
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 20:58
    [b]It’s sad to see the champion’s league has come to this only one teams remaining has actually won its domestic league.
    You could say this but then again - how comes the other domestic league champions are out - because the top 4 teams in the Premier League are all better than them is why,

Surely you don't want a competition with only the winners of the leagues again - it was different back then, Other countries had decent sides but in the modern era football has changed

Inter, Man Utd, Real Madrid, Lyon, Stuttgart, and a lot of also rans, is this want you would have rather seen this year --- I hope I got the champions of the other leagues right because I haven't seen any of them play because there all out of the CL with the exception of Utd of course --- If you ask me there's only one reason why there'll all out --- and I think you know as well
  5. In your face
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 21:30
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Who cares?

The previous years champions may be this years relegation candidates, while the previous years runners up may be this years world beaters.

The title [b]Champions
    League is just marketing spin, ala World Series of Baseball.

I, for one, am glad that the top teams from the top leagues all get a chance to compete.

D[/b]
    How true. I think the competition has just the right balance now to show off Europe's finest footballing talents. A good cross section. Isn't that what it's really about?
  6. 6yd box
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 21:58
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    How true. I think the competition has just the right balance now to show off Europe's finest footballing talents. A good cross section. Isn't that what it's really about?
    not really.. its a catch 22.

The top players all want to play for teams that play in the champions league.

For a team to get to play in the champions league they need to attract the top players...

...but the top players wont come to the club unless they are in the champions league....

..hence we have the same teams, from the same countries always playing in the champions league:'(:'(:'(
  7. In your face
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 22:15
    You are always going to get the top players wanting to play at the top clubs. With or without the champions league. Top prestige, top ratings, top moolah. it's the nature of the beast, surely, isn't it?
  8. Standard membercadwah
    ¯\_(^.^)_/¯
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 22:52
    Sorry we seem to have drifted off topic somewhat, I can't believe how boring/lucky Liverpool are.
  9. LA
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 05:30
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    ... and ManU would only have 1 European Cup (in 1967) to their name
    Not true.

United would almost certainly have won it more times.
    United have won 9 PL titles.
    If they had entered the European cup with only one team from Italy and Spain I think United would have had a much easier time of it.

The only certain fact is that Liverpool would have 4 in their name.
    Having not won the league for 18 going on 19 years.
  10. 6yd box
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 05:44
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue

Having not won the league for 18 going on 19 years.[/b]
    Goodness me, has it really been that long?

(we are back on topic people!)
  11. where angels play
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 06:27
    Originally posted by spurs73
    Goodness me, has it really been that long?

(we are back on topic people!)
    And the Whit hart lane trophy cabinet is bursting is it?
  12. 6yd box
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 06:47
    Originally posted by sally cinnamon
    COME..COME.... no need for that...after all you are part of the 'TOP FOUR' so you are expected to win trophies every season..NO?
  13. 6yd box
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 06:49
    Originally posted by sally cinnamon
    while on the subject lets not forget that untill the 70s liverpool's history was very poor.

They have only been a 'big club' in the last 30 years...well manly the 70s and the odd cup here and there in te 80s and 90s...

JUST MAKING A POINT..nothing personnal
  14. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 10:06
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
    Not true.

United would almost certainly have won it more times.
    United have won 9 PL titles.
    If they had entered the European cup with only one team from Italy and Spain I think United would have had a much easier time of it.

Having not won the league for 18 going on 19 years.
    The fact is that they wouldn't have won it in '99. The rest is mere speculation.
  15. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 10:10
    Originally posted by spurs73
    while on the subject lets not forget that untill the 70s liverpool's history was very poor.

They have only been a 'big club' in the last 30 years...well manly the 70s and the odd cup here and there in te 80s and 90s...

JUST MAKING A POINT..nothing personnal
    They won the league and FA cup in the 60's, dominated in the 70's and 80's, won trophies in the 90's and have won more trophies in the 00's than any other EPL team - so that's almost 50 years of being a "big" club. ManU were relegated in the 70's and Chelsea were days from banruptcy before Abramovich rescued them.

Sorry, what point were you trying to make again?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree