pacquiao in the 7th.
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    14 Mar '10 00:47
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Pacquiao vs Clottey 3/13/10 9pm et pay per view

Any predictions?
    Pacquiaio in 5-7 rounds by TKO! It's too bad pay per view is so dang expensive! I'd become a RHP sub for about three years before paying those exorbitant fees!
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Mar '10 01:531 edit
    Just looking at youtube fights for the first time I like Clottey for the win. He has good form.

Wow, Pacquiao is fast...and Clottey is not invulnerable. That must be an awesome fight. Pacquiao seemed to handle Cotto more easily than Clottey did.
  5. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    14 Mar '10 06:281 edit
    Pacquiao dominates Clottey for decision

Posted 21m ago | Comment | Recommend E-mail | Save | Print |
    By Tim Dahlberg, AP Boxing Writer

ARLINGTON, Texas — Manny Pacquiao dominated a strangely passive Joshua Clottey from the opening bell Saturday to retain his WBO welterweight title.
    With 50,994 fans -- the biggest fight crowd in the U.S. in 17 years -- cheering him on at the Dallas Cowboys Stadium, Pacquiao made sure the result was never in doubt.

One ringside judge gave Pacquiao every round, while the two others gave him all but one. The Associated Press gave every round to the Filipino.

It wasn't as flashy as his knockout of Ricky Hatton or as savage as the beating he gave Oscar De La Hoya, but there was no doubt Pacquiao was in command the entire way against Clottey, who kept his gloves up high in front of his face, rarely risking a flurry. The Ghanaian's strategy got him to the final bell, but he was never competitive in the biggest fight of his career.

"He's a very tough opponent," Pacquiao said. "He was looking for a big shot."

Pacquiao was supposed to have been fighting Floyd Mayweather Jr. instead of Clottey, but the megafight between two claimants on the title of world's best pound-for-pound fighter fell apart over a dispute over blood testing.

"I want that fight, the world wants that fight, but it's up to him," Pacquiao said.

The tone of the fight was set early, with Pacquiao advancing against his taller opponent and throwing punches with both hands from all angles. It was the same style that gave him spectacular wins in his past three fights and, though Clottey was clearly the bigger fighter, he rarely sought to use his reach advantage.

Clottey's corner was urging him late in the fight to take some risks, but even in the final round when he needed a knockout to win, the Ghanaian only sparingly dropped his guard.

"Everything's working now," trainer Freddie Roach told Pacquiao after the third round. "It's easy."
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 16:171 edit
    Ali vs Shavers, the heaviest hitter in history according to Ali and his record (54 wins, 52 by KO)

YouTube
    YouTube
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 18:08
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Ali vs Shavers, the heaviest hitter in history according to Ali and his record (54 wins, 52 by KO)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3KUACAGHR8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfQ56hSXGV0
    Unfortunately the fight was won be decision because they ran out of rounds. 🙁
  8. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    15 Mar '10 23:191 edit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3KUACAGHR8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfQ56hSXGV0
    Shavers was one hard hitting son of a gun!

After the Ali-Shavers fight,

Ferdie Pacheco, his doctor since the early days, told him anyway, emphasising he must retire. “I wrote a letter to Ali and sent copies to Angelo, his then wife, Veronica, and Herbert Muhammad, his manager, attaching copies of a laboratory report given to me by Dr Nardiello of the New York State Athletic Commission, which showed the extent of the damage to Ali’s kidneys,” Pacheco revealed. “His kidneys were falling apart, as was his health in general. I told him that I could not continue to work with him and that it was time to quit but I never got a reply from no one.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/boxing/article5683119.ece

edit: I remember that fight like it was yesterday. In "modern times" I would put Shavers,Foreman and Tyson as the hardest hitting heavy weights. Foreman # 1. If you don't think so look at what he did to smokin' Joe
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Mar '10 01:571 edit

Ferdie Pacheco, his doctor since the early days, told him anyway, emphasising he must retire. “I wrote a letter to Ali and sent copies to Angelo, his then wife, Veronica, and Herbert Muhammad, his manager, attaching copies of a laboratory report given to me by Dr Nardiello o hitting heavy weights. Foreman # 1. If you don't think so look at what he did to smokin' Joe
    YouTube

Foreman - Ali

YouTube
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Mar '10 19:02

Ferdie Pacheco, his doctor since the early days, told him anyway, emphasising he must retire. “I wrote a letter to Ali and sent copies to Angelo, his then wife, Veronica, and Herbert Muhammad, his manager, attaching copies of a laboratory report given to me by Dr Nardiello o ...[text shortened]... hitting heavy weights. Foreman # 1. If you don't think so look at what he did to smokin' Joe
    Shavers did more damage to Ali than Foreman did. That might not be power though; it might be conditioning, good form and Ali's age.
  11. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    16 Mar '10 22:02
    Shavers did more damage to Ali than Foreman did. That might not be power though; it might be conditioning, good form and Ali's age.
    True.
    Ali fought Foreman in 74'. He was considered to be getting over the hill then by boxing standards.
    10 fights later in 77' ( and after the 'thrilla in Manilla",which nearly killed him) he fought Shavers.
    I am not taking anything away from Shavers he was a monsterous puncher. So was Foreman.
    I would of liked to seen a match up of those two.
    I would say Foreman would win that by KO.
    I question Shavers chin.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    17 Mar '10 19:51
    Lewis - Tyson, a masterful display of boxing (and some intelligent Ali-style cheap moves involving grappling and leaning to fatigue the other guy) to defeat a testosterone raging pit bull of a boxer slightly past his prime:

YouTube
  13. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    21 Mar '10 01:14

Ferdie Pacheco, his doctor since the early days, told him anyway, emphasising he must retire. “I wrote a letter to Ali and sent copies to Angelo, his then wife, Veronica, and Herbert Muhammad, his manager, attaching copies of a laboratory report given to me by Dr Nardiello o ...[text shortened]... hitting heavy weights. Foreman # 1. If you don't think so look at what he did to smokin' Joe
    Right on. Here's to The Acorn.
  14. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    21 Mar '10 17:07
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Right on. Here's to The Acorn.
    I don't get it!?😕
  15. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    21 Mar '10 17:51
    I don't get it!?😕
    Ali called Shavers "Acorn." Per wiki -

Shavers fought Muhammad Ali at Madison Square Garden on September 29, 1977. Ali disparagingly referred to Shavers as "The Acorn" because of his bald head.

Don't you remember that?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree