1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '10 18:02
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/golf/tiger-and-the-1631m-tax-bill-how-british-law-may-scare-off-woods-from-ryder-cup-2048016.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tiger Woods' reluctance to accpet a Ryder Cup wild card may in part be due to a 1 million pound tax bill he could face for playing in the event, which pays NO prize money......Woods would not be the first athlete kept away from Britan's new punitive tax rules -- the sprinter Usain Bolt has pulled out of a high profice race in London this weekend. And prospective members of Europe's Ryder Cup team whose main residence, like Woods, is in the tax haven of Florida could also be hit. Sportsmen and women who earn money in the UK while not a resident have been targeted by HMRC after it won a high-profile case against Andre Agassi four years ago. The implications are now being felt. Previously HM Revenue & Customs had only gone after a portion of "active income" earnings from prize money or appearances fees. But the so-called "passive income" -- mainly from endorsements -- was not deemed liable for UK tax. Now attempts are made to claim tax not just on a foriegn sportsperson's direct earnings on British soil but also on a proportion of the sportsperson's global endorsement earmings........Woods deal with Niki is rumoured to pay $40 million a year. So if he played 14 events this year, and one of those events is the Ryder Cup, he would be billed to pay tax, at 50%, on 1/14 of that amount, leaving the potential tax bill as high as $900,000 pounds..........American players have long been sensative about not being paid at the Ryder Cup and two of Wood's closest friends, Mark O'meara and David Duval, have gone on record as saying so. Woods, himself once famously remarked there were "a million reasons" why he would rather win a lucrative tournament than the Ryder Cup, and three years ago the rookie Hunter Mahan accused the organizers of treating the players like "slaves" and said it could lead to a boycott.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So how about it? Should money that has been won in the UK be taxed by the UK? If so, what about passive income? Should the UK then have the right to any endorsement money you recieve?
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    12 Aug '10 20:403 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/golf/tiger-and-the-1631m-tax-bill-how-british-law-may-scare-off-woods-from-ryder-cup-2048016.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tiger Woods' reluctance to accpet a Ryder Cup wild card may in part be due to a 1 million pound tax bill he could face for playing in th income? Should the UK then have the right to any endorsement money you recieve?
    If Tiger was to tell Britain to take its tax bill and stuff it, and the US government agreed with Tiger's views, how exactly would Britain go about making Tiger pay up? Declare war against the US?

On the other hand, given the way Tiger's been playing of late, I'm sure the entire European Ryder Cup team would gladly pay the bill to ensure that Tiger was on the US roster.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Aug '10 11:571 edit
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    If Tiger was to tell Britain to take its tax bill and stuff it, and the US government agreed with Tiger's views, how exactly would Britain go about making Tiger pay up? Declare war against the US?

On the other hand, given the way Tiger's been playing of late, I'm sure the entire European Ryder Cup team would gladly pay the bill to ensure that Tiger was on the US roster.
    This is not just about Tiger, its about ALL athletes who step foot on her majesties soil or so much as utter her name seem to owe them taxes.

I wish the US golf team would simly boycott the Ryder Cup altogether.
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    13 Aug '10 13:421 edit
    This is not just about Tiger, its about ALL athletes who step foot on her majesties soil or so much as utter her name seem to owe them taxes.

I wish the US golf team would simly boycott the Ryder Cup altogether.
    And what exactly happens if those athletes (who aren't residents or citizens of Britain) tell Her Majesty where she can put her crown?

as for the Ryder Cup, I really don't care -- if they really want it to mean something, they need to find a way to include golfers who hail from places other than Europe and the US.
  5. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    13 Aug '10 15:08
    Easy see you are running scared as compared to european golfers usa are second rate 😛
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 Aug '10 15:35

Tiger Woods' reluctance to accpet a Ryder Cup wild card may in part be due to a 1 million pound tax bill he could face for playing in th ...[text shortened]... income? Should the UK then have the right to any endorsement money you recieve?
    Only in the loosest sense is a golf tournament a "sporting event."
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Aug '10 15:57
    as for the Ryder Cup, I really don't care -- if they really want it to mean something, they need to find a way to include golfers who hail from places other than Europe and the US.
    if you don't have a clue what you're talking about don't hit the keyboard.
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    13 Aug '10 16:03
    Originally posted by trev33
    if you don't have a clue what you're talking about don't hit the keyboard.
    This is obnoxious.

What's wrong with what he said?
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Aug '10 17:09
    Originally posted by darvlay
    This is obnoxious.

What's wrong with what he said?
    obviously someone who 'doesn't care' about it still isn't going to care if they add other continents. the fact is the ryder cup is if not the top golfing event every two years, very, very close.

plus this thread wasn't even about the quality of the ryder cup. not to mention that there is an america vs the rest of the world (excluding europe) competition already. the tournaments set up is sound, the two super powers of golf going head to head, just because some idiot who quite frankly is too ignorant to comment on this thread doesn’t like the game doesn't take away from the fact that millions of golf fans across the world look forward to the ryder cup more so than any other golfing competition... i wouldn’t call myself a golf fan but i'll certainly be watching. like the world cup the ryder cup brings out people who never usually watch the sport, that's the sign of a great competition imo.
  10. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Aug '10 17:30
    obviously someone who 'doesn't care' about it still isn't going to care if they add other continents. the fact is the ryder cup is if not the top golfing event every two years, very, very close.

plus this thread wasn't even about the quality of the ryder cup. not to mention that there is an america vs the rest of the world (excluding europe) competition a ...[text shortened]... ut people who never usually watch the sport, that's the sign of a great competition imo.
    Melanerpes certainly is entitled to disgaree with you. He was on point as he gave his reason for boycotting English sporting events.
  11. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    13 Aug '10 18:43

plus this thread wasn't even about the quality of the ryder cup. not to mention that there is an america vs the rest of the world (excluding europe) competition a ...[text shortened]... ut people who never usually watch the sport, that's the sign of a great competition imo.
    I am very much aware that the Ryder Cup is a major tournament that gets lots of attention every two years.

My main beef about the Ryder Cup is that it leaves out places that produce many top golfers such as South Africa and Australia. One idea would be to have three regions -- America, Europe, and Rest-of-World. The reigning Ryder Cup champion would get a bye to the finals, and the other two regions would have to first play a semi-final round.

Being that the Ryder Cup didn't even include players from Continental Europe until 1979, it's not like it's some sort of sacred tournament that can't ever be changed.
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    13 Aug '10 18:561 edit
    I am very much aware that the Ryder Cup is a major tournament that gets lots of attention every two years.

My main beef about the Ryder Cup is that it leaves out places that produce many top golfers such as South Africa and Australia. One idea would be to have three regions -- America, Europe, and Rest-of-World. The reigning Ryder Cup champion would ge pe until 1979, it's not like it's some sort of sacred tournament that can't ever be changed.
    Us Asians get no respect from the white man.
  13. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '10 21:45
    Usain pulled out of London as he's bang out of form and didn't want to get humiliated by the Gay man.
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Aug '10 14:54
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Melanerpes certainly is entitled to disgaree with you. He was on point as he gave his reason for boycotting English sporting events.
    no he didn't, not in the post i quoted... that was just an attack on the ryder cup. he also didn't disagree with me as he posted this before i said anything in the thread.

i'll let you read what he said again and let you retract your comments.
  15. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Aug '10 14:59

My main beef about the Ryder Cup is that it leaves out places that produce many top golfers such as South Africa and Australia. One idea would be to have three regions -- America, Europe, and Rest-of-World. The reigning Ryder Cup champion would ge ...[text shortened]... pe until 1979, it's not like it's some sort of sacred tournament that can't ever be changed.
    like i said already, they have an america vs the rest of the world (excluding europe) ryder cup style tournament already, just like there's a britain and ireland vs the rest of europe ryder cup style tournament. so it's not as if the other nations and players are being left out.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree