Moves
    17 Apr '08 00:44
    It's going to be a long season for us Braves fans it seems. :'(:'(:'(
  2. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 03:41
    Yeah, it doesn't look too good right now. I figured we be about this good before the season started. I'm glad to see Glavine back for nostalgia sake (now if only we could get Maddux back, and have him, Smoltz and Glavine back in their prime...) but I think he may be a liability by the end of the season.

However, if memory serves correct, most of those pennant winning years always started slow. It seems the Braves made a habit of going 3rd or 4th in the division until about late May or June and then never looked back. Of course back then, the rest of the division wasn't very good. Now the Mets can contend and the Phillies look pretty scary. Who knows what Marlins team will show up. At least we still have the Expos, er, um Washington.

I'm not too worried, yet. They do have the highest runs scored and second lowest runs against in the East. If they could just win 1-run games, they'd be fine. I think they have already set a pre-Milwaukee team record for most one-run losses to start a season. The old record was five.

It's still pretty early. We've still got Bobby Cox who can still get thrown out of games like nobody else and can win with less talent and experience on his team than any other manager out there.

np
  3. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 15:44
    Originally posted by neonpeon41
    Yeah, it doesn't look too good right now. I figured we be about this good before the season started. I'm glad to see Glavine back for nostalgia sake (now if only we could get Maddux back, and have him, Smoltz and Glavine back in their prime...) but I think he may be a liability by the end of the season.

However, if memory serves correct, most of thos ...[text shortened]... n win with less talent and experience on his team than any other manager out there.

np
    If memory serves, the Braves almost always started out slow. June and August they tear things up. They've usually won the division, then blown it in the playoffs. Almost like clockwork.

BTW, they're in danger of being swept by the Marleens. 😉
  4. Standard memberslimjim
    Death from Above
    El Paso, TX
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 06:54
    Originally posted by neonpeon41

However, if memory serves correct, most of thos ...[text shortened]... n win with less talent and experience on his team than any other manager out there.

np
    They still have that weak bullpen.
  5. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 17:55
    Originally posted by slimjim
    They still have that weak bullpen.
    They've always had a weak bullpen, except when Smoltz was the closer. But then again, they're set-up men weren't strong. It's one of the reasons they never did great in the playoffs in the late 90's. A good bullpen is much more valuable at that point.

They used to be able to rely upon their starters to go deep quite regularly. Now, their bullpen looks especially bad when their starters aren't anywhere near as sharp.

np
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    24 Apr '08 13:20
    I have a major man crush on Chipper Jones.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree