1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    27 Oct '10 11:41
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Well said.

An NFL Franchise is clearly a unique high risk/reward proposition. Cannot have

highest paid player at all positions. Must recruit and cultivate younger players.
    Even if one should rely heavily on high paid players signing free agents of high character is essential. I think Reggie White, for example, pulled Green Bay up, whereas Randy Moss brought NE down in spite of the winning facade. Dallas drafts a great athlete in Dez Bryant, yet immediately one can tell the entire team's attitude has deteriorated to look like a bunch of sullen teenagers. Is there a connection? How could there not be. What else explains a drop from best to last so suddenly. Coupled with a worthless, friendly, players' coach like Wade "Iain't o Bum" Phillips and voila! Cellar!
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 Oct '10 12:36
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Even if one should rely heavily on high paid players signing free agents of high character is essential. I think Reggie White, for example, pulled Green Bay up, whereas Randy Moss brought NE down in spite of the winning facade. Dallas drafts a great athlete in Dez Bryant, yet immediately one can tell the entire team's attitude has deteriorated to look l ...[text shortened]... a worthless, friendly, players' coach like Wade "Iain't o Bum" Phillips and voila! Cellar!
    Annual draft preferences, salary cap, free agency and inevitable dislocations

(from disciplinary measures, injuries, retirements) level the NFL playing field.

Would you agree?
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    27 Oct '10 23:08
    Annual draft preferences, salary cap, free agency and inevitable dislocations

(from disciplinary measures, injuries, retirements) level the NFL playing field.

Would you agree?
    Without question! However, on can never underestimate the power of the lockerroom cancer!
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 05:53

Without question! However, one can never underestimate
    the power of the lockerroom cancer!
    Symptom or cause of lack of leadership and resulting team dysfunction?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 08:491 edit
    Symptom or cause of lack of leadership and resulting team dysfunction?
    i have a question if you please,

is there any teams in the NFL that have tried to buy success?

This happens in European soccer all the time, one simply need to look to the Spanish giants Madrid and Barcelona and one or two of the top English teams, formerly Chelsea and now Man City in which huge sums of money were spent in trying to buy success, does the same thing happen in the NFL? If so, why does this esteemed panel think that it does not work or does it, thanking you in advance, your fan Robbie 🙂
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 11:18
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie

This happens in European soccer all the time, one simply need to look to the Spanish giants Madrid and Barcelona and one or two of the top English teams, formerly Chelsea and now Man City in which huge sums of money were spent in trying to buy succ ...[text shortened]... teemed panel think that it does not work or does it, thanking you in advance, your fan Robbie 🙂
    Scacchipazzo is undoubtedly better qualified to reply to your comparative question,

bringing to mind the NBA. NFL teams insure key players they can't afford to lose.
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 11:42

This happens in European soccer all the time, one simply need to look to the Spanish giants Madrid and Barcelona and one or two of the top English teams, formerly Chelsea and now Man City in which huge sums of money were spent in trying to buy succ ...[text shortened]... teemed panel think that it does not work or does it, thanking you in advance, your fan Robbie 🙂
    Most recent example is the Washington Redskins and their owner Dan Snyder. They accumulated expensive free agents without success. Most classical example is NYY in baseball. Biggest payroll in sports most likely. NYY seem to make their players gel and have 27 championships to show for it. This was an uncapped year in the NFL and everyone thought most owners would spend like drunken sailors. I assume the economic downturn caused great restraint. Free agency has made it very hard to gel players because every team has key players leave for better money, veterans get cut lose more rapidly and few teams havea core of key players forming a backbone stay for very long. Now to the NBA. Look at MIami Heat and their purchase of LeBron James and Chris Bosh. They were supposed to usher in an era of winning. Ha! Lost their opener 88-80 to GB's Celtics! Just like in soccer egos seem to get in the way. In the NFL most teams actually try through drafting key players and sometimes make huge mistakes. Oakland drafted JaMarcus Russell out of LSU. This QB was supposed to return them to their proud winning days. Paid him huge bucks. He was recently cut and no one wants the dude.
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 13:191 edit

The Redskins have tried for nearly a decade to buy their way into a Superbowl and have failed miserably. American Football is a young man's game. Consistently succesful teams in the NFL build their teams through college scouting, the draft and subsequent coaching - never through free agency. A key free agent pick up, however, can make all the difference for an already established team but rarely is it the means to build a roster.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 18:08
    Originally posted by darvlay
    The Redskins have tried for nearly a decade to buy their way into a Superbowl and have failed miserably. American Football is a young man's game. Consistently succesful teams in the NFL build their teams through college scouting, the draft and subsequent coaching - never through free agency. A key free agent pick up, however, can make all the difference for an already established team but rarely is it the means to build a roster.
    is not the exception the quarterback for it seems to me that many of the best are old codgers, Peyton Manning, Brett Favre etc
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 18:471 edit
    is not the exception the quarterback for it seems to me that many of the best are old codgers, Peyton Manning, Brett Favre etc
    Brett Favre is awful. I wouldn't put him in the same league as the "best". But yes, experience goes a long way in being a captain on either side of the ball, I would agree. However, in no other sport can a rookie have such an immediate impact as in football.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 19:39
    Two Cents More: Short term, people and groups often receive better than they

deserve. Ultimately, all of us (including nations, social organizations, professional

teams) succeed in getting precisely what we tolerate, especially from ourselves.
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 20:21
    Two Cents More: Short term, people and groups often receive better than they

deserve. Ultimately, all of us (including nations, social organizations, professional

teams) succeed in getting precisely what we tolerate, especially from ourselves.
    ?
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Oct '10 04:25
    Originally posted by darvlay
    ?
    Rec'd with regret.
  14. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    31 Oct '10 20:23
    For shame. Lost to the lowly 49'ers! Broncos have now hit rock bottom indeed!
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Nov '10 12:481 edit
    For shame. Lost to the lowly 49'ers! Broncos have now hit rock bottom indeed!
    why were the Broncos playing in London? are they on a tour of the UK? also we were robbed of a touchdown, someone was ruled to have illegal taken a dude out from behind, i never really understood it, illegal block in the back???? really unfair i thought!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree