1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    17 Nov '10 21:331 edit
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Michael Vick looked like Jesus Christ in cleats on Monday.

What's the matter, Scacchi? You don't believe in redemption and rehabilitation?
    I do way more than you would think, but remain cautiously skeptical simply becasue I consider the dude a thug. Time may prove me wrong, but I am seldom wrong about these things. For starters there is not an ounce of humility in the man. He's not the only one. Roethsliberger is another one. I don't expect people to be siants, but do expect a modicum of decency and decorum of which these two and others have scant amounts of. Leonard Little, Ray Lewis and myriad others are of this ilk. NFL survives because most players ae decent, hard working human beings. I have met a few personally and most have been quite nice and passed scrutiny with almost flying colors with no worse foibles than most people.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Nov '10 06:55
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo

As you wish. You know I am only venting as I would wish no one any harm. I agree to move it to the Big Pond Pub. I appreciate your patience and understanding!
    Okay. Will do the deed next post.
  3. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    18 Nov '10 12:42
    I do way more than you would think, but remain cautiously skeptical simply becasue I consider the dude a thug. Time may prove me wrong, but I am seldom wrong about these things. For starters there is not an ounce of humility in the man. He's not the only one. Roethsliberger is another one. I don't expect people to be siants, but do expect a modicum of d ...[text shortened]... ite nice and passed scrutiny with almost flying colors with no worse foibles than most people.
    And what exactly do you base this in-depth psychoanalysis on? A hunch? Watching him on TV?
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Nov '10 01:41
    And what exactly do you base this in-depth psychoanalysis on? A hunch? Watching him on TV?
    No more speculative than your assumption that he's reformed. Why are you entitled to pronounce him thus yet I am not allowed to be a doubter? You really think that I don't know enough to sort of doubt a killer of innocent animals is to be viewed askance and with the general idea that if he had such disregard for innocents he may extrapolate such feelings to others. The heinous nature of his crime, his involvement with underwolrd types in carrying out his dog fighting ring do not speak highly of him as a human being. The greatest predictor of future behavior is past behavior. Regrettably I am closer to being right than to being wrong.
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    19 Nov '10 15:261 edit
    No more speculative than your assumption that he's reformed. Why are you entitled to pronounce him thus yet I am not allowed to be a doubter?
    That's not true at all. I've read more than a few news stories of Vick's turnaround off the field. You are the one truly speculating here, in my opinion. I understand your natural disposition towards guilty rather than innocent, and don't fault it necessarily, but you can't argue that there hasn't been substantial anecdotal evidence of his personal turnaround.

Here's some words from Roger Goodell, a guy who, you know, is in charge of watching the man's actions on and off the field:

"He's done terrific off the field. I'm proud of how he has responded," he told the Daily News. "There are so many examples in our society of failure, people falling short. We need more success stories. I'm hoping Michael Vick will be a success story. People need to see that. People need to be inspired by that -- a person made a tragic error and he's overcome it."

Since signing with the Eagles in August 2009, he has been a model citizen off the field, working with the Humane Society of the United States and speaking to school and community groups about the cruelty of dogfighting.

"I hear frequently about the different speaking engagements he's going to and the impact that he has when he goes," Goodell told the Daily News. "He's obviously taken responsibility for his actions, been accountable and focuses now on what he can do to make others aware of the fact that you have to conduct yourself properly and make good decisions. I thought the decisions he made with dogfighting were horrific. He's turning himself in the right direction. For that, I'm very proud of him."

Where is your evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, to show that he hasn't changed one iota and is still, as you put it, a thug?
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Nov '10 20:15
    That's not true at all. I've read more than a few news stories of Vick's turnaround off the field. You are the one truly speculating here, in my opinion. I understand your natural disposition towards guilty rather than innocent, and don't fault it necessarily, but you can't argue that there hasn't been substantial anecdotal evidence of his personal turnar ...[text shortened]... ow that he hasn't changed one iota and is still, as you put it, a thug?
    Vick engaged in organized crime. It is not as if he was caught shoplifting. Goodell has a product to sell and therefore biased in favor of Vick. Anecdotal evidence is never enough. in either direction. What is known about his thugishness is amply known and not anecdotal. ONLY sociopaths engage in wanton torture of innocent creatures. Sociopaths do not change. That's all. We'll have to agree to disagree. If I were on his parole board I would have probably been the one most skeptical. ANother problem is IQ. Have you heard him at press conferences? Vick is no genius. Associations. Thug brother kciked off VTech team. Never forget Vick celebrated his prison release with a party at a strip joint. Undermining others. Vick actively lobbied to get McNabb off Eagles even after McNabb, a good guy, embraced him. The cummulative negatives far outweigh the anecodotal "I have changed" provided by Vick himself and listened to by naive non-skeptics.
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Dec '10 00:29
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AtvBzY4RKWxzXlyjgpn2UZk5nYcB?slug=ap-broncos-mcdanielsfired

Josh McDaniels is gone, done, history. Let's see if they get the same boost that Vikings and Cowboys got from their new coaches!
  8. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    07 Dec '10 00:37

Josh McDaniels is gone, done, history.
    Shocker! 😉
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Dec '10 00:45
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Shocker! 😉
    Not soon enough! Seldom has there been a more incompetent coach. I really wonder what the Broncos mgt team saw in this bumbler?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Dec '10 01:06
    Not soon enough! Seldom has there been a more incompetent coach. I really wonder what the Broncos mgt team saw in this bumbler?
    apparently he is still owed 7 million from his two remaining years, and the broncos still owe the last coach as well, so they will be paying three coaches next year !
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Dec '10 12:26
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    apparently he is still owed 7 million from his two remaining years, and the broncos still owe the last coach as well, so they will be paying three coaches next year !
    They must have learned with Jerry at Dallas! I don't believe coaches mind getting canned for this very reason!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree