Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. 17 May '08 23:52
    Portsmouth won. Congrats to them.

    I thought I would mention the fact. You can be sure there would have been a thread if a big 4 team had been involved.

    First half was quite entertaining, and competitive. Portsmouth were deserved winners.

    Even the Argentine commentators on Latin American ESPN seemed to enjoy the game.

    Nice advert for football outside Sky´s perceived world.
  2. 19 May '08 09:52
    Originally posted by Hopster
    Portsmouth won. Congrats to them.

    I thought I would mention the fact. You can be sure there would have been a thread if a big 4 team had been involved.

    First half was quite entertaining, and competitive. Portsmouth were deserved winners.

    Even the Argentine commentators on Latin American ESPN seemed to enjoy the game.

    Nice advert for football outside Sky´s perceived world.
    Of course there would have been a thread had Liverpool or ManU been involved, and probably Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and erm .... Derby. Of course you will see this as some anti "real football" conspiracy, but the simple fact is that there are fans of the above teams who regularly post here and would have started a thread - as yet I've not seen any Pompey or Bluebirds fans on this forum.

    I moved to Cardiff at the age of 2 and so consider them my 2nd team. I've probably been to 3-4 games a season since I moved back here a few years ago - so I guess this doesn't qualify me as a "real fan" given your 6 matches a season rule. Anyway, I was disappointed that City couldn't keep up the momentum (and advantage) they had in the first half, but I guess the premiership class and experience was going to tell sooner or later. Anyway, I was very happy with their performance and a big thank you to all the fans who behaved impeccably all day - especially given their's and the Pompey fans reputations.

    As for telling us all how the game went - thanks, but as you can tell, I watched it. As, I suppose, did most of the regular footie posters on this board. I'm hoping you'll slip off that soap box of yours soon - maybe causing some kind of temporary paralysis of your typing fingers, to give us all a break from your self righteousness for a while.
  3. Standard member Virtue76
    King of the Ring-er
    20 May '08 10:09
    Plus it was boring for a neutral.
  4. 20 May '08 11:43
    it wasnt boring... if was f*****g boring
  5. Standard member Virtue76
    King of the Ring-er
    20 May '08 12:48
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    it wasnt boring... if was f*****g boring
    lol

    oh yeah

  6. 20 May '08 13:44
    apart from last year it was probably the dullest ever
  7. Standard member Virtue76
    King of the Ring-er
    20 May '08 14:30
    Originally posted by ace121
    apart from last year it was probably the dullest ever
    agreed
  8. 20 May '08 17:56
    Hang on a minute...

    1) 1996 - Manchester United v Liverpool? Hardly a classic if I remember correctly?

    2) The Final that had Sunderland in (that memorable I can't even remember who they played now!).... and I don't mean the 'Monty' saves match from the 70's...

    3) Most Finals Chelsea have appeared in.

    Case closed your Honour.
  9. 20 May '08 21:22
    Originally posted by ace121
    apart from last year it was probably the dullest ever
    The most boring ever i remember ARSENAL .V CHELSEA in 2002
  10. Standard member Tirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    21 May '08 00:14
    Fifty years old, thirty odd out of UK and it still makes me cringe to even think of Pomps in the prems and Saints at the bottom of the coke.. Footy roots stick tight Dirty Harry will never get a smile in so'ton.
    I think I must be pompifile... I just want to abuse pomps.

  11. Standard member Virtue76
    King of the Ring-er
    21 May '08 05:58
    apart from Liverpooh v west ham a couple of years ago there hasn't been a good final for 17 years-spurs v forest.

    although '94 wasn't bad!
  12. 21 May '08 08:15
    Originally posted by Virtue76
    apart from Liverpooh v west ham a couple of years ago there hasn't been a good final for 17 years-spurs v forest.

    although '94 wasn't bad!
    2001 (Arsenal 1 LFC 2) wasn't bad either, otherwise I'd have to agree.

    Shame really, as '91 backwards there were some great finals. ManU v Palace, Liverpool v Everton (twice), Spurs v Coventry, ManU v Brighton all stick out in my mind.

    No mention of '88 please - I had tears running down my cheeks all the way home from Wembley!
  13. Standard member Virtue76
    King of the Ring-er
    21 May '08 14:25
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    2001 (Arsenal 1 LFC 2) wasn't bad either, otherwise I'd have to agree.

    Shame really, as '91 backwards there were some great finals. ManU v Palace, Liverpool v Everton (twice), Spurs v Coventry, ManU v Brighton all stick out in my mind.

    No mention of '88 please - I had tears running down my cheeks all the way home from Wembley!
    2001 was a great last few minutes, '88 was boring, regardless of the amazing result.
  14. 21 May '08 16:47
    Originally posted by Virtue76
    apart from Liverpooh v west ham a couple of years ago there hasn't been a good final for 17 years-spurs v forest.

    although '94 wasn't bad!
    YEAH the second half of the Liverpool/ WHU was a good final..