1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 May '08 12:32
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Again, you are cherry picking. Last year alone, 4 teams with payrolls higher than $90 million had losing seasons: The White Sox, Orioles, Cardinals and Giants. And I suggest you read the title you gave the thread: your claim was that a certain amount of money could "buy" a team into the playoffs, not merely to a winning record. You are goalpost shifting when the actual facts show your original premise is false.
    I think the stats I provided speak for themselves. 😀
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 May '08 12:401 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    I think the stats I provided speak for themselves. 😀
    The stats you presented were cherry picked and grossly incomplete. The overall stats don't support your original thesis.

whodey: From this we can see that in order to buy a winning season all one has to do is spend over $90 million

Tell that to the 2007 White Sox, Orioles, Giants and Cardinals.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 May '08 13:01
    The whole arguement that teams that don't spend money need "corporate welfare" is a joke and is 100% based on selective facts.
    Completely ignored are teams with high payrolls who don't do well (as No1) pointed out.
    Also ignored is the fact that cost of living is much higher in places like New York and Boston than Texas which has no income tax. The cost also isn't just dollars it is invasivness. There is no doubt on the east coas baseball is still the #1 sport and in other regions people care about other sports like high school football.
    The Marlins have the lowest payroll and the best record in baseball. Their best player until yesterday got paid virtually nothing and still gets far less than he would if he had been eligible for free agency. The Marlins have talented young players who they chose to pay at much less than market value (if they were free to sign anywhere) and now we should cry for them because they have a lower total salary?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 May '08 15:17
    Right now the Twins (24th), Oakland (28th), Florida (30th) and Arizona (23) are in first place while the two worst records in the AL Seattle (9th) and Detroit (2nd). I think baseball more than ever is not about how much you spend.
  5. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    12 May '08 16:38
    You are using selective, cherry picked stats to "prove" an invalid point. Of course, the White Sox had to have a winning season or they wouldn't have been eligible to win a World Championship, would they? And the fact you went back to 2005 is illuminating; I presume the 2006 and 2007 facts didn't support your argument as well.
    Jebus, talk about cherry picking stats.

How many other teams that didn't have high payrolls made the playoffs in the past 5 years? How many with high payrolls have made it?

Do the math and you'll see your argument is dumber than a.....
  6. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    12 May '08 16:483 edits
    This was posted from last years thread about buying playoff appearances. You can't really buy a championship but you can almost for sure buy yourself a playoff appearance which at least gives you the shot at a championship...

Since 2003.....

Team.....playoff appearances.....League Payroll position (8 is avg)

NY..............5.........................................1
    Bos.............4.........................................2
    LAA.............3.........................................3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a run down of the last 6 YEARS of who made the playoffs..Yankees every year and Boston 4 times outta 6..

02 NY
    03 NY & BOS
    04 NY & BOS
    05 NY & BOS
    06 NY
    07 NY & BOS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Since 2003.....

The top 4 teams in salary have made it to the playoffs 13 times while the bottom 11 teams in salary have made it only 6 times
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

These stats are irrefutable but go on, use your weak example of a team that made it in which in your mind somehow disproves all of this....we promise not to laugh at you.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 May '08 18:11
    Baseball has more parity than any other American sport and all I hear is small fans cry.
    Fact: Other than the Yankees no team has a current streak of making the playoffs more than one year in a row.
    Fact: 4 of the 6 first place teams have a salary of 23rd or higher including two of the bottom 3. The other team is more games over .500 then they have ever been in their entire history.

I am amazed that fans root who root for certain incompetent organizations exonerate their multi-millionaire owners who refuses to spend money despite revenue sharing and charging you full price for cable and tickets.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 May '08 00:39
    Originally posted by uzless
    This was posted from last years thread about buying playoff appearances. You can't really buy a championship but you can almost for sure buy yourself a playoff appearance which at least gives you the shot at a championship...

Since 2003.....

Team.....playoff appearances.....League Payroll position (8 is avg)

NY..............5.................... ...[text shortened]... made it in which in your mind somehow disproves all of this....we promise not to laugh at you.
    I guess you didn't bother to look at the stats for last year. Laugh all you want; the fact is spending any amount of money on payroll doesn't assure you of anything.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 May '08 03:56
    Originally posted by uzless
    These stats are irrefutable but go on, use your weak example of a team that made it in which in your mind somehow disproves all of this....we promise not to laugh at you.[/b]
    Now, now, go easy on him. After all, he is a Yankee fan. Why shake up things when they are already in your favor.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 May '08 03:58
    The stats you presented were cherry picked and grossly incomplete. The overall stats don't support your original thesis.

whodey: From this we can see that in order to buy a winning season all one has to do is spend over $90 million

Tell that to the 2007 White Sox, Orioles, Giants and Cardinals.
    I will put it another way. Have you ever heard the addage that you get what you pay for? Of course you don't always, but on average you most certainly do.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 May '08 12:271 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    I will put it another way. Have you ever heard the addage that you get what you pay for? Of course you don't always, but on average you most certainly do.
    Last year, the team with the 6th lowest payroll made it into the World Series; the team with the 5th highest payroll won 72 games. Baseball is far more competitive than other sports with a salary cap; there hasn't been a repeat champion since 2000 and only the Red Sox have won two World Series in that time. Contrast and compare that with leagues with a salary cap like the NBA and NFL where one team has dominated the last decade.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 May '08 14:29
    and every team in baseball had between a .400 and .600 winning percentage but in the past season the NFL (which prides itself on a team can win every given sunday has undefeated teams) and the NBA has a teams winning 22 games in a row another which played .805 ball and 5 teams that play below .300
  13. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    13 May '08 21:021 edit
    I guess you didn't bother to look at the stats for last year.

Laugh all you want; the fact is spending any amount of money on payroll doesn't assure you of anything.
    Last year? Yankees and Boston...Number 1 and Number 2 in salary. Are you an idiot or what??

No one is saying a high salary ASSURES you of anything. We are saying it is VERY LIKELY you will get into the playoffs as evidenced by the fricking stats i've posted.

How you can look at the stats and not get it through your head proves you only believe what you want to believe.

Boston and New York...Number 1 and number 2 in salary again this year. Who wants to bet one or both of them get in the playoffs this year?????? I'll take any bets from anyone that says they won't get in the playoffs.
  14. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    13 May '08 21:051 edit
    Originally posted by leepound
    and every team in baseball had between a .400 and .600 winning percentage but in the past season the NFL (which prides itself on a team can win every given sunday has undefeated teams) and the NBA has a teams winning 22 games in a row another which played .805 ball and 5 teams that play below .300
    ...proving once and for all that there isn't enough talent in the league to support that many teams. Contraction in the NBA is a no brainer. Contract the number of teams and you'll see those win percentages get closer.

Never mind how magnified injuries are in the NBA compared to how well a team does. You get a starter in MLB and the team keeps on rolling. A NBA team loses one or 2 of its stars and they lose 10 in a row.
  15. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    13 May '08 21:08
    Last year, the team with the 6th lowest payroll made it into the World Series;
    We're not talking about the world series.

Try looking at which teams made the PLAYOFFS and then look at their salary.

NEW YORK 1
    BOSTON 2

I'll leave the rest for you to fill in.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree