This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 08:07
    Originally posted by Red Night
    or don't play the world cup in third world nations that can't afford a digital video camera
    How very americant of you.
  4. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 09:22
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Just do what rugby and cricket does and have a 'TV assistant' who can watch replays.

This person can then let the on-field official know what happened, who can let play continue.
    If need be, action can be taken at the next breakdown of play.

Sure, some smaller leagues etc. will be excluded, but the same discrepancy exists in rugby and cricket (and I'm sure it does also in American sports, for example), but everyone understands that the top professional leagues and tournaments etc. are important enough for this to happen.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 09:241 edit
    FIFA will go with the extra ref behind the goal, like they tested in the Europa League this year.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 06:091 edit
    Originally posted by Red Night
    or don't play the world cup in third world nations that can't afford a digital video camera
    nor in spent superpowers who don't give a rats anus about the global game.
  7. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 10:53
    I'd go with an additional referee in the stands, with access to whatever technology is available (TV replays for now, add more on later if suitable ones are developed) with a radio link to the on-pitch referee, and instructions to bring to the on-pitch referee's attention any clear errors. Most big mistakes would be caught in seconds, and there'd wouldn't necessarily be big interruptions.

Grounds that have more cameras can use them, but it wouldn't be a requirement - just use whatever is there.
  8. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 10:56
    Oh, and while I'm at it, borrow rugby's idea of a "citing commissioner", and apply it to diving. Any clear dives get a suspension.
  9. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 15:131 edit
    FIFA can spend the next four years running experiments in the various leagues to find the review system that works the best. Just make sure that in four years, there's a system in place to ensure that there are no more obviously blown calls regarding goals.

The only argument against doing this is a blind devotion to "tradition". But in the other sports that have installed instant replay, the same whining was heard about how it would "destroy the way we've always done it" -- but at the end of the day, almost everybody ends up preferring a system that makes sure the correct calls are made.

video review could also be used (probably after the game) to look into whether or not a given player did a dive and where it is clear that a dive occurred, there can be suspensions.
  10. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 18:22
    This news is all over the place, I didn't know the best article to choose on the subject, but the message is the same:

FIFA is now considering technology

An article:
    http://worldcup.sportinglife.com/story/0,27111,17322_6236835,00.html
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 00:49
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    This news is all over the place, I didn't know the best article to choose on the subject, but the message is the same:

[b]FIFA is now considering technology

An article:
    http://worldcup.sportinglife.com/story/0,27111,17322_6236835,00.html[/b]
    Blah, blah. More Blahtter! That's all. You don't take good ols Sepp seriously? He does not give a hoot about the integrity of the game. He likes controversy. Thinks it's good for the sport. Loves the watercoller talk about games. Feels it maintains interest up in an otherwise mostly boring sport.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 02:211 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    nor in spent superpowers who don't give a rats anus about the global game.
    LOL....Why would anyone give a rats anus about ANYTHING? (Long as it doesn't take any money out of your pocket.)

I am sure you could have found a far better term to use! 😛

I say time for Instant Replay!

England got Robbed!!!
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 02:45
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    LOL....Why would anyone give a rats anus about ANYTHING? (Long as it doesn't take any money out of your pocket.)

I am sure you could have found a far better term to use! 😛

I say time for Instant Replay!

England got Robbed!!!
    Yeah! England robbed, but by Capello. He pockets a huge amount of money for nothing! If there were justice the English public would sue his sorry hiney clean!
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 03:34
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Yeah! England robbed, but by Capello. He pockets a huge amount of money for nothing! If there were justice the English public would sue his sorry hiney clean!
    Not counting a goal England scores doesn't help either. 😛

Yes, Instant Replay is needed. Obviosly it can't be left to the ref.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree