1. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '08 14:39
    For the record baseball is played in more than just the US and Japan. In fact there are many Latinos in major league baseball than African Americans. You don't have to like baseball, but in no way does that make it an inferior sport.
    It seems to me like the rest of the world really cares about international basekball competitions. In the US it means little compared to a NBA title. Thus people train, have surgeries, rest, get married/ go on honeymoons on a different schedule. Of course those who enter want to win a gold metal but it is not their ultimate athletic dream. Just like Tiger Woods want to win all tournaments but he REALLy wants to win majors. Thus, he trains for those events rests etc according to his priorities. I don't think anyone questions that the best basketball players in the world are American. Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Tim Duncan to name a few.
    As long as we are talking about americans, it is worth mentioning that the best golfer in the world and perhaps the most dominant athlete in sports today is American.
  2. 6yd box
    Moves
    07 May '08 19:54
    Originally posted by wormwood
    canada has won 45, usa 2 of their world championship games against each other. can the second best hockey country of north america make an upset and win today? the stats do not look good. 🙂

go canada go!
    are we talking Ice Hockey here or Field hockey?
  3. Standard memberDerfel Cadarn
    The Mighty
    Rocky Mountains
    Moves
    08 May '08 03:49
    Originally posted by leepound
    For the record baseball is played in more than just the US and Japan. In fact there are many Latinos in major league baseball than African Americans. You don't have to like baseball, but in no way does that make it an inferior sport.
    It seems to me like the rest of the world really cares about international basekball competitions. In the US it means litt ...[text shortened]... he best golfer in the world and perhaps the most dominant athlete in sports today is American.
    Tim Duncan is from the Dominican Republic.
  4. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    09 May '08 18:59
    Originally posted by Derfel Cadarn
    No. He's from Virgin Islands.

Al Horford is from Dominican Republic
  5. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    09 May '08 19:01
    golf? You call that a sport?
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    09 May '08 19:132 edits
    Originally posted by Derfel Cadarn
    He plays for the US International team though.

EDIT - which would make sense if he was born in the Virgin Islands (see above).
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 May '08 20:06
    Originally posted by monteirof
    golf? You call that a sport?
    Yes, theoretically, golf is a sport and Tiger Woods is probably the most dominant athlete in the world today.

But, I think the larger issue is does the US still produce world class athletes and it does in the sports it plays. The US has the best basketball and football players. It produces quality baseball players. It dominates in things like the X-games (which are clearly moronic) and auto racing (similar idiotic). Soccer is a women's sport in the US and we have the best female soccer players. The United States always wins a bunch of metals in the Olympics.
  8. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 May '08 23:11
    this usa vs. canada hockey thing is like me going to play chess in a place where they only play chinese chess.. of course youre going to win, and of course the people than lose dont care as its not their game
  9. Standard memberslimjim
    Death from Above
    El Paso, TX
    Moves
    09 May '08 23:22
    first of all, usa is crap at football.

'american football' and baseball are not played anywhere else but usa & japan. that's like like being the world's leading country in whale flubber eating.

and basketball, that's not played that much outside usa either, although it's by far the most popular of your four national favourites.

and in hockey, you s ...[text shortened]... st. it's no coincidence you have +2 -45 score against canada on world championship level.
    Baseball is played also allover Latin America. Basketball is world wide.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 May '08 20:10
    Originally posted by irontigran
    this usa vs. canada hockey thing is like me going to play chess in a place where they only play chinese chess.. of course youre going to win, and of course the people than lose dont care as its not their game
    You don't know anything about hockey?
  11. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    17 May '08 20:31
    5-4 canada won. that makes it 46 wins for canada, and 2 for usa.

thank you for playing, better luck next time. 🙂

(to be fair, usa played very well the first 2 periods. it could've gone either way, and it wasn't for lack of trying that they lost. great game.)
    The 250 Americans who give a crap are devastated.
  12. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    17 May '08 20:39
    Originally posted by badmoon
    I'm sure the american team which was sent home with its tail behind its legs 'could care less'.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 May '08 21:41
    If the Americans had won all 250 would be posting here to let us know all about it 😉 !
  14. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    17 May '08 21:49
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    If the Americans had won all 250 would be posting here to let us know all about it 😉 !
    All I'm saying is that it receives meager attention. You may as well tell us that our squash team lost.
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 May '08 22:00
    All I'm saying is that it receives meager attention. You may as well tell us that our squash team lost.
    I find that very odd, you could be among the minority of Americans. Especially since there are 24 NHL American Hockey teams, and only 6 Canadian Teams.

Simple mathmatics would tell me far more than 250 Americans hold interest in the Canadian Game 🙂 !

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree