1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    30 Jan '09 20:22
    He's back behind the plate in Fenway. I know a LOT of you other teams wanted him, but Boston came up with a SWEET DEAL no one could match.

P-
  2. Madison Square Garde
    Moves
    30 Jan '09 20:30
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    He's back behind the plate in Fenway. I know a LOT of you other teams wanted him, but Boston came up with a SWEET DEAL no one could match.

P-
    He can't hit anymore. His bat is dead. ..How much did they give him?
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    30 Jan '09 20:59
    Originally posted by YEAH BOY
    He can't hit anymore. His bat is dead. ..How much did they give him?
    5M one year
    Team option 5M second year
    Player option 3M second year

That's what the radio is saying.

Yeah, his bat was very poor last year... but he's NEVER been a big hitter. I figure he's worth the 3 outs a game, protecting against 5 hits and 2 runs per game. He calls a great game, does his homework.

The PLAYERS elected him to the all-star game last year, that says something.

P-
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    30 Jan '09 21:07
    no doubt he's one of the best catchers in the league but worth 5m a year? how much are the rest of the catchers on in baseball?
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Jan '09 21:13
    5M one year

Yeah, his bat was very poor last year... but he's NEVER been a big hitter. I figure he's worth the 3 outs a game, protecting against 5 hits and 2 runs per game. He calls a great game, does his homework.

P-
    He suckz.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jan '09 21:491 edit
    Originally posted by trev33
    no doubt he's one of the best catchers in the league but worth 5m a year? how much are the rest of the catchers on in baseball?
    5 mil a year for Varitek is an absolute steal for a veteran catcher as good as he is and is actually a 50% pay cut from what he was earning. Posada and Rodriguez make 12-13 mil year. Varitek next year will make about two mil less than Joe Mauer (11 years younger), about the same as Victor Martinez but 4 mil more than Brian McCann (12 years younger).
  7. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    30 Jan '09 22:10
    Originally posted by Ludovician
    5 mil a year for Varitek is an absolute steal for a veteran catcher as good as he is and is actually a 50% pay cut from what he was earning. Posada and Rodriguez make 12-13 mil year. Varitek next year will make about two mil less than Joe Mauer (11 years younger), about the same as Victor Martinez but 4 mil more than Brian McCann (12 years younger).
    I would rather have Maurer, Martinez or McCann at their prices.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Jan '09 23:30
    Unlike those catchers, Varitek hits like a little girl.
  9. Madison Square Garde
    Moves
    31 Jan '09 01:06
    5M one year

P-
    He doesn't catch the knuckleball. he can't hit,hell pay me the 5 mill.
  10. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    31 Jan '09 01:58

P-
    I'd rather have Carlos Ruiz, I just wish we could DH for him 😛
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '09 18:53
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    I would rather have Maurer, Martinez or McCann at their prices.
    Really? I never would have guessed that, Captain Obvious.
  12. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    05 Feb '09 01:07
    Really? I never would have guessed that, Captain Obvious.
    So, if I am correct and you agree, then why did you say Varitek was a steal at $5M? Hell a better steal than that was the Dodgers landing Brad Ausmus for 1M. He can catch MUCH better than Varitek, he can throw Much better than Varitek, he calls an outstanding game, and he hits about as well as Varitek. And, he is $4M a year CHEAPER than Varitek.
  13. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '09 15:12
    I agree if you are claiming that Varitek is the one stealing the Red Sox money.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Feb '09 15:17
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    So, if I am correct and you agree, then why did you say Varitek was a steal at $5M? Hell a better steal than that was the Dodgers landing Brad Ausmus for 1M. He can catch MUCH better than Varitek, he can throw Much better than Varitek, he calls an outstanding game, and he hits about as well as Varitek. And, he is $4M a year CHEAPER than Varitek.
    Guess I can't argue with that...
  15. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    10 Feb '09 21:111 edit
    the issue with Varitek shouldn't be about the contract - smaller market teams that have to keep their payrolls low have to be frugal - but for a big market team, $5mill (plus an option yr) isn't that big of a deal.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree