24 Aug '09 21:18
    by signing Smoltz.
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    24 Aug '09 21:26
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    by signing Smoltz.
    I think there is no cause and effect as if Smoltz pitches as poorly as he pitched for the Red Sox the Cardinals will still win the division. The Cubs have completely under achieved; the brewers can't pitch and the rest of the divison just stinks.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 00:36
    by signing Smoltz.
    Like they do year after year?

I say they clinched the division as soon as they were placed into it. Their competition is far beneath them.
  4. Joined
    31 Jan '09
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 01:18
    by signing Smoltz.
    thats a good joke
  5. weedhopper
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 04:40
    We shall see, gentlemen...
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 14:23
    We shall see, gentlemen...
    I'm not sure what the big question is here. Isn't St. Louis about 8 games in front of their nearest rival? Haven't they pretty much clinched the division with or without this acquisition? I say they are not worried about the division, rather, they are looking at the post season. No matter how the Caridinals appear going into the post season, never count them out!!

If only I were a Cardinal fan. :'(
  7. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 18:42
    Smoltz was pitching dreadfully for the Red Sox -- this was one of those "the guy's probably done, but maybe we get really lucky and he bounces back and is able to help us win a game in October."

Smoltz should never have come back - it screwed up the dream HOF ballot in 5 years where Maddux-Glavine-Smoltz would have all gone in together.
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 18:45
    Don't get too excited over Smoltz's first start as a Card against a pathetic offesnively challenged padre line-up.
  9. weedhopper
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 21:53
    Originally posted by whodey
    I'm not sure what the big question is here. Isn't St. Louis about 8 games in front of their nearest rival? Haven't they pretty much clinched the division with or without this acquisition? I say they are not worried about the division, rather, they are looking at the post season. No matter how the Caridinals appear going into the post season, never count them out!!

If only I were a Cardinal fan. :'(
    Good point about their lead--but St. Louie has pi$$ed away many a lead in the past (not as many as the Cubs I'll grant you) 🙂 nevertheless, I don't think the NL Central is a done deal even now. But I doi believe Smoltz makes the Cards much better.
  10. weedhopper
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 21:54
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Don't get too excited over Smoltz's first start as a Card against a pathetic offesnively challenged padre line-up.
    Quite true. I can't figure out what happened to my beloved Pad's offense this season...
  11. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    28 Aug '09 15:35
    St. Louis and the rest of the NL had better take notice. The best club in the NL over the last 70 games is Colorado. They may be the team to beat in the NL. St. Louis is plodding. Against the mighty Astros they managed to win 2 of 3. Their wins were 1-0 and 4-3 which speaks volumes about their offensive juggernaut. They will go as far as their pitching can take them. If Carpenter or Wainwright get injured and they have to depend on Smoltz....don't stray too far from the toilet because you will be getting sick.
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    28 Aug '09 16:03
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    St. Louis and the rest of the NL had better take notice. The best club in the NL over the last 70 games is Colorado. They may be the team to beat in the NL. St. Louis is plodding. Against the mighty Astros they managed to win 2 of 3. Their wins were 1-0 and 4-3 which speaks volumes about their offensive juggernaut. They will go as far as their pitching ...[text shortened]... ve to depend on Smoltz....don't stray too far from the toilet because you will be getting sick.
    The Rockies don't have the pitching to go deep. They are running on chemistry and hot bats right now. Unfortunately, Carlos Gonzales and Dexter Fowler, two great rookies who have recently buoyed the line-up, are now both out with injuries.
  13. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    28 Aug '09 18:20
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    St. Louis and the rest of the NL had better take notice. The best club in the NL over the last 70 games is Colorado. They may be the team to beat in the NL. St. Louis is plodding. Against the mighty Astros they managed to win 2 of 3. Their wins were 1-0 and 4-3 which speaks volumes about their offensive juggernaut. They will go as far as their pitching ...[text shortened]... ve to depend on Smoltz....don't stray too far from the toilet because you will be getting sick.
    Let's not forget about the Cards' Joel Piniero who has 13 quality starts in his last 14.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 15:05
    by signing Smoltz.
    Shouldn't they be more concerned over beating the Yankees in the World Series than simply winning the pathetic division in which they reside?

Wake me up when the Yankees win another cookie cutter World Series. 😴
  15. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    14 Sep '09 14:57
    Originally posted by whodey
    Shouldn't they be more concerned over beating the Yankees in the World Series than simply winning the pathetic division in which they reside?

Wake me up when the Yankees win another cookie cutter World Series. 😴
    Tell you what? Since it is all over in your estimation, I'll make a wager with you. You can have the Yankees to win the World Series and I will take the field to win it all. I will wager however much you would like.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree