1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Apr '10 01:161 edit
    I remember a couple of years ago arguing on this board with someone over the relative worth of Andy Petitte v. Carlos Zambrano. I said they were about equivalent while the other poster screamed that Zambrano was a "young stud" worth far more. Since that time Andy won three clinching games in the post-season and has started this year 3-0 with a 1.29 ERA; meanwhile, Zambrano racked up 9 wins last year and is now in the bullpen.

I wish I could remember who that poster was.
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    27 Apr '10 12:581 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I remember a couple of years ago arguing on this board with someone over the relative worth of Andy Petitte v. Carlos Zambrano. I said they were about equivalent while the other poster screamed that Zambrano was a "young stud" worth far more. Since that time Andy won three clinching games in the post-season and has started this year 3-0 with a 1.29 ERA; ...[text shortened]... year and is now in the bullpen.

As a Yankee fan (I believe you were once one too), I am glad I have been wrong. Petitte (the oldest lefty starter other than Moyer) certain seems to have continued his career much better than other guys who abused performance enhancers.
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    27 Apr '10 13:391 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I remember a couple of years ago arguing on this board with someone over the relative worth of Andy Petitte v. Carlos Zambrano. I said they were about equivalent while the other poster screamed that Zambrano was a "young stud" worth far more. Since that time Andy won three clinching games in the post-season and has started this year 3-0 with a 1.29 ERA; ...[text shortened]... year and is now in the bullpen.

Clearly - on AVERAGE - if you have two players of equal established ability, and one of them is 25 and the other is 35, the younger one is likelier to perform better and remain healthier over the next five years.

This does not mean that some 25 yr olds won't decline or get hurt - and it does not mean that some 35 yr olds won't continue to drink from the fountain of youth into their 40s.

I have previously argued that a major reason for the Yankees successes over the years is that they seem to have a nose for finding the Ponce de Leons.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree