1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Joined
    02 Aug '04
    Moves
    8702
    30 Aug '07 17:33
    Here we go!

    The groups are:

    Group A

    Liverpool, Porto, Marseille, Besiktas

    Group B

    Chelsea, Valencia, Schalke, Rosenborg

    Group C

    Real Madrid, Werder Bremen, Lazio, Olympiacos

    Group D

    AC Milan, Benfica, Celtic, Shakhtar Donetsk

    Group E

    Barcelona, Lyon, Stuttgart, Rangers

    Group F

    Manchester United, Roma, Sporting Lisbon, Dynamo Kiev

    Group G

    Inter Milan, PSV Eindhoven, CSKA Moscow, Fenerbahce

    Group H

    Arsenal, Sevilla/AEK Athens, Steaua Bucharest, Slavia Prague
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Joined
    02 Aug '04
    Moves
    8702
    30 Aug '07 17:38
    In group A, Liverpool are the technical favourites in a group which can bring some surprises. All other three teams are highly irregular, which can mean a tight group until the end (with the possible exception of Liverpool).

    Porto has more experience and overall skill than Marseille or Besiktas, but the difference may not be as big as the recent history in CL could suggest.

    As a Porto fan, I'm happy that it isn't a bad draw overall, but concerned since it also isn't an easy draw.

    Your thoughts on your team's group?
  3. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    35068
    30 Aug '07 17:41
    My first impressions is that, for a change, that's quite a balanced draw. None of them look really easy, nobody seems to have a complete nightmare.
  4. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    64043
    30 Aug '07 17:49
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Here we go!

    The groups are:

    [b]Group A


    Liverpool, Porto, Marseille, Besiktas

    Group B

    Chelsea, Valencia, Schalke, Rosenborg

    Group C

    Real Madrid, Werder Bremen, Lazio, Olympiacos

    Group D

    AC Milan, Benfica, Celtic, Shakhtar Donetsk

    Group E

    Barcelona, Lyon, Stuttgart, Rangers

    Group F

    M ...[text shortened]... ow, Fenerbahce

    Group H

    Arsenal, Sevilla/AEK Athens, Steaua Bucharest, Slavia Prague[/b]
    The top seeds should all finish top of their groups but apart from groups A, B & H, the battle for the 2nd qualifying spot looks quite open.
  5. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Joined
    27 Feb '02
    Moves
    211797
    30 Aug '07 17:50
    A dangerous prediction but the first two from each group should proceed.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Joined
    02 Aug '04
    Moves
    8702
    30 Aug '07 18:121 edit
    What about Benfica? Do you think it progresses easily over Celtic? Pretty open, if you ask me.
  7. 6yd box
    Joined
    24 Jun '07
    Moves
    5179
    30 Aug '07 18:24
    what a easy group for the ARSenal....AGAIN! and they will still get knocked out in group stages....
  8. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Joined
    27 Feb '02
    Moves
    211797
    30 Aug '07 18:31
    Originally posted by Palynka
    What about Benfica? Do you think it progresses easily over Celtic? Pretty open, if you ask me.
    The portugese clubs have become selling clubs recently. However Benfica traditionally do well at home. Both Celtic and Benfica can beat Shatkar Donetsk but I feel AC will fancy Parkhead more than The Stadium of Light.
  9. Joined
    01 Jan '07
    Moves
    36210
    30 Aug '07 18:34
    I suppose it bodes well for English football standards that Arsenal and liverpool have to go through the formalities of a qualification round and then they make them top seeds
  10. Joined
    29 Oct '04
    Moves
    18178
    30 Aug '07 23:14
    Originally posted by invigorate
    The portugese clubs have become selling clubs recently. However Benfica traditionally do well at home. Both Celtic and Benfica can beat Shatkar Donetsk but I feel AC will fancy Parkhead more than The Stadium of Light.
    Shakhtar Donetsk was one second away from beating Sevilla last year in the UEFA Cup. They shouldn't be underestimated.
  11. Account suspended
    Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    17944
    31 Aug '07 00:54
    a few years ago, maybe 2, i can't remember. i did a bet on some of the group winners.

    i got one wrong (man utd lyon) but i covered my bet and ended up winning money anyway.

    i was thinking of doing the same this year. barca/lyon i'm not touching but other than that what do you think?

    i'm thinking of leaving man u out this time and doing sevilla instead of arsenal. other than that i'm doing the top seeds (although i don't like chelsea)
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Joined
    02 Aug '04
    Moves
    8702
    31 Aug '07 07:52
    Originally posted by trevor33
    a few years ago, maybe 2, i can't remember. i did a bet on some of the group winners.

    i got one wrong (man utd lyon) but i covered my bet and ended up winning money anyway.

    i was thinking of doing the same this year. barca/lyon i'm not touching but other than that what do you think?

    i'm thinking of leaving man u out this time and doing sevilla instead of arsenal. other than that i'm doing the top seeds (although i don't like chelsea)
    Porto will be top of the group. 😛
  13. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    64043
    31 Aug '07 07:55
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Porto will be top of the group. 😛
    Wanna bet on that? 😉
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Joined
    02 Aug '04
    Moves
    8702
    31 Aug '07 08:021 edit
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    Wanna bet on that? 😉
    Not this year. Last year, we could have been top against Arsenal, with two unlucky shots on the post by Quaresma in a game we dominated.

    We were pitiful in London, though.

    Edit - If we had Pepe and Anderson, I would. But this year our defense is very shaky.
  15. Account suspended
    Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    17944
    31 Aug '07 13:35
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Not this year. Last year, we could have been top against Arsenal, with two unlucky shots on the post by Quaresma in a game we dominated.

    We were pitiful in London, though.

    Edit - If we had Pepe and Anderson, I would. But this year our defense is very shaky.
    liverpool (yes liverpool 😛) ac milan, inter and real madrid all have imo cake walks as groups.

    the rest are pretty tricky.

    brace/lyon i'm not touching because of how well lyon tends to preform in the group stages and barce might be a bit shaky at the start of the season.

    as a man utd fan i hate betting on them, have done twice in pretty big bets but they cost me in both. plus roma will be pissed from last season.

    chelsea/velencia another close one but i think chelsea are less likely to loss points against the other teams.

    arsenal/sevilla what can i say, i just fancy sevilla - quality side.
Back to Top