1. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    31 Aug '07 14:391 edit
    Originally posted by smartrrrrs
    I suppose it bodes well for English football standards that Arsenal and liverpool have to go through the formalities of a qualification round and then they make them top seeds
    The seeding system is a little complicated, and is based on how the teams did in previous champions leagues, as opposed to the current strength of the respective squads.

D

[EDIT] This is from an article written in 2006...
    "Uefa, the European game's governing body, seeds the teams based on a coefficient calculated from the performances of the clubs in Europe over the last five years combined with the coefficient of the country they come from, so putting new football powers like Chelsea behind the traditional heavyweights of European football."
  2. Utrecht
    Moves
    02 Sep '07 14:33
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Here we go!

The groups are:

[b]Group A

Liverpool, Porto, Marseille, Besiktas

Group B

Chelsea, Valencia, Schalke, Rosenborg

Group C

Real Madrid, Werder Bremen, Lazio, Olympiacos

Group D

AC Milan, Benfica, Celtic, Shakhtar Donetsk

Group E

Barcelona, Lyon, Stuttgart, Rangers

Group F

M ...[text shortened]... ow, Fenerbahce

Group H

Arsenal, Sevilla/AEK Athens, Steaua Bucharest, Slavia Prague[/b]
    Liverpool and Porto
    Chelsea and Valencia
    Madrid and Bremen
    Milan and Shakhtar
    Barcelona and Lyon
    ManU and Kiev
    Inter and PSV
    Steaua and Slavia
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Sep '07 15:36
    Originally posted by Sake
    Liverpool and Porto
    Chelsea and Valencia
    Madrid and Bremen
    Milan and Shakhtar
    Barcelona and Lyon
    ManU and Kiev
    Inter and PSV
    Steaua and Slavia
    Let me guess...Your girlfriend is from Eastern Europe.
  4. Joined
    07 Sep '07
    Moves
    07 Sep '07 06:551 edit
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    The top seeds should all finish top of their groups but apart from groups A, B & H, the battle for the 2nd qualifying spot looks quite open.
    MAN UNITED RULE
  5. Joined
    07 Sep '07
    Moves
    07 Sep '07 06:57
    Answer
  6. London
    Moves
    07 Sep '07 20:08
    Originally posted by Anthony
    Answer
    5 games and 8 points. Blackburn are ahead of them with a game in hand.

In conclusion, you're clearly wrong.
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 21:16
    Disappointing, but we paid the price for having a poor central defender in João Paulo.

In the end, not a catastrophic result, but leaves that bitter taste when you know victory is possible and you're the underdog. It'll be a tough campaign for Porto, but if we keep this level of performance we should make it behind Liverpool. If our coach realizes that we have better than João Paulo, I think we're on a good path.

Good luck against Marseille and Besiktas.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 22:04
    And this season, for the first time, I see Mourinho attacking a part of his own team. He's shooting himself in the foot in a very atypical way. I'm curious to see how that's all going to finish.
  9. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 12:09
    Disappointing, but we paid the price for having a poor central defender in João Paulo.

In the end, not a catastrophic result, but leaves that bitter taste when you know victory is possible and you're the underdog. It'll be a tough campaign for Porto, but if we keep this level of performance we should make it behind Liverpool. If our coach realizes that we have better than João Paulo, I think we're on a good path.
    I didn't watch the whole match, but from what I saw I was very impressed with Quaresma. He seemed to be everywhere.
  10. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 12:34
    Originally posted by mtthw
    I didn't watch the whole match, but from what I saw I was very impressed with Quaresma. He seemed to be everywhere.
    He must have covered every blade of grass on the pitch. Shame it was mostly with his back, chest and arse though.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 21:44
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    He must have covered every blade of grass on the pitch. Shame it was mostly with his back, chest and arse though.
    You mean when Mascherano should have gotten a second yellow for that scissor tackle?

Some people live for prejudice.
  12. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 22:08
    And this season, for the first time, I see Mourinho attacking a part of his own team. He's shooting himself in the foot in a very atypical way. I'm curious to see how that's all going to finish.
    It's his own fault that he created a boring team which can only play using Drogba's strength in the air and Lampards shooting from outside the box.

Even Chelski fans are realising that his teams are boring.

Having said all that, United didn't set the world alight tonight.

D
  13. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    20 Sep '07 08:59

Some people live for prejudice.
    Some people have no sense of humour
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 16:18
    Back to business.

Two rounds of deciding matches in group A. Anyone nervous? I am!
  15. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    23 Oct '07 23:14
    Back to business.

Two rounds of deciding matches in group A. Anyone nervous? I am!
    United had an easy win tonight. Another 2 players added to the injury list; Scholes and Evra. We really need to get a few players back. Anderson played well tonight, great tackling, passing and ball retention, but the centre of our midfield is threadbare. We're going to take a hammering against the Arse unless we get at least Hargreaves and Scholes back.

Foster
    Neville, Silvestre, Vidic, Evra
    Park, Hargreaves, Scholes, Carrick
    Saha, Rooney

Italics - Not currently injured. To be second with that many first team strength players missing is a great sign for the rest of the season, IF we can get some fit.

What's the story with the empty stadia though?

I watched Espanyol v R Madrid highlights and behind the goal was draped with flags to hide the empty seats. Same in Kiev for United's visit.

Porto are in a good position for tonights games. It'd be great to see Liverpool eliminated; make space for a watchable team.

D

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree