Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. 18 Aug '09 21:52
    Oh no they won't............

    ......................oh yes they will.


    Actually, I honestly think they will this year. I know they are my team (la la) but there is a certain solidity about them, thier play and thier attitude.


    I could be wrong of course - if so, who's first to tell me why?
  2. 18 Aug '09 22:23
    we'll see, it's a long season. but they have to be favorites at the moment.
  3. 18 Aug '09 23:36
    Of course they will! Did you see that awesome goal from Didier Drogba? Or the penalty saves from Petr Cech?

    Greco
  4. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    19 Aug '09 05:06
    This is the year for the gunners.

    I hope they win.

    Something.

    Anything.

    Please?

    :'(
  5. 19 Aug '09 09:22
    Originally posted by divegeester

    Actually, I honestly think they will this year.
    I bet you where saying the same thing about them last season with their 4-0 win in their first match...only to finish third!
  6. 19 Aug '09 10:37
    Originally posted by Jamesqt
    I bet you where saying the same thing about them last season with their 4-0 win in their first match...only to finish third!
    Possibly although not with any conviction - was that before Jose went - it all happens so fast! Let me just say then, theat I think they are in a much better place than they have been for a couple of seasons.
  7. Standard member Fleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    19 Aug '09 17:27
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Oh no they won't............

    ......................oh yes they will.


    Actually, I honestly think they will this year. I know they are my team (la la) but there is a certain solidity about them, thier play and thier attitude.


    I could be wrong of course - if so, who's first to tell me why?
    I have Chelsea pegged to win the league, but if we're playing the hypothetical game in which they don't win it, I think it's because their lack of width will be exposed. Managers will find a way to counter the diamond formation and force Chelsea into long-ball slug-a-thons that end in many a draw.

    If Chelsea don't win it, I think Man U will. Naturally, I want the Gunners to win it. But until Wenger brings in a DM and CB, I don't think they can last the long haul (Song and Gallas won't play at their current level all year).
  8. 20 Aug '09 00:23
    Originally posted by Fleabitten
    I have Chelsea pegged to win the league, but if we're playing the hypothetical game in which they don't win it, I think it's because their lack of width will be exposed. Managers will find a way to counter the diamond formation and force Chelsea into long-ball slug-a-thons that end in many a draw.

    If Chelsea don't win it, I think Man U will. Naturall ...[text shortened]... they can last the long haul (Song and Gallas won't play at their current level all year).
    Good points Flea. Joe Cole could add a little width, dropping mikel to the bench and Essien to holding. Or he may bring a surpise signing in before the window closes.
  9. Standard member Mctayto
    Highlander
    20 Aug '09 10:07
    Wake up and smell the roses - Chelsea are at best runner ups and more likely 3rd or 4th
  10. 20 Aug '09 14:38
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    Wake up and smell the roses - Chelsea are at best runner ups and more likely 3rd or 4th
    Aren't you...Scottish?
  11. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    20 Aug '09 14:39
    I think this season will be relatively wide open. It's hard to see any of the big being as consistent as Man U have been in the last years.
  12. Standard member Mctayto
    Highlander
    20 Aug '09 15:55
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Aren't you...Scottish?
    At least you managed to get that right now try it with your football predictions
  13. Standard member Robrobbie
    The Blues Boy
    24 Aug '09 16:43
    I believe chelsea will win it because Man U have lost Ronaldo this year
  14. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    24 Aug '09 17:07
    In a way, yes, I support that view.

    I really, really don't know if Ferguson seriously thought Nani could replace Ronaldo for matches that desperately need a change of pace. Tevez also was important for that. And he got rid of him. He is left with a good team though incapable of drastic tempo switches, which makes them predictable.

    As predictable as Chelsea is, because I don't know what they can achieve when Drogba is not there to input the explosion of his game.

    My bet is Arsenal. Well balanced, good treatment of the round one. Their lacking, as it has been the case for the last 4 years, is the physical game. They lack muscle.
  15. 24 Aug '09 22:41
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    At least you managed to get that right now try it with your football predictions
    Ha! It was a fifty fifty chance -- just like who will win the SPL