1. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 00:39
    are their any chess players out their who are tennis fans or play tennis? im quite a good tennis player. and i find playing both sports compliments each other and by playing one im improving the other at the same time.

both sports involve facing your opponent head on for the entire match. both sports are very mental and the best players are mentaly strong. both sports have a lot of different types of tactics and strategy. when to play defense when to attack. so theirs definetly a lot of similarities in each game.

have any of you been watching the australian open? who do you like? who do you dislike? and who do you think will win?

my 2 favorite players are andy roddick and roger fedderer. i like them because theri classy guys who give good interviews and they can play defense really well (because their both extremly fit) and then turn the point around and generate some great offense. i like that style of play as opposed to just attacking every ball.

my least favorite top 10 ranked play is got to be jokavic. his snobby, annoying and has a unfriendly personality, by the way did you guys see roodick totally wear him down today?

also i remeber reading somewhere about a great russian chess player from either the 50s, 60s, or 70s he was also a great tennis player. i forgot his name now but people said he would have been a better chess player if only he concentrated more on chess and played less tennis. do you guys know who im talking about, whats his name?

by the way ivanovic is a super hot babe on the womens tour... dont you think?

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=ivanovic+pics&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title
  2. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 07:50
    by the way the chess player whos also a great tennis player is borris spassky.
  3. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 08:15
    by the way are their any professional tennis players who are good at chess or at least enjoy playing chess? because if their was any sport that would develope a good chess player it would be tennis.
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 17:262 edits
    each point in tennis does resemble a miniature chess game - you (usually) need to first establish superior position (and prevent your opponent from doing so) - and once you're in position, you can then launch your attack.

many chess games are won because someone makes a "?" move - which is much like a point that is won in tennis due to someone making an unforced error - and then there are the really good chess games that are won because of a "!" or "!!" move - which is analagous to someone hitting a winner in tennis.

and then you have the "?!" moves -- analagous to Federer running down a shot deep in the corner and hitting it down the line for the winner - generally a bad risk when you're in such a defensive position -but not necessarily a bad idea if you happen to be Federer.

I've always wondered how Federer would do at chess - he strikes me as someone who'd be extremely good as it
  5. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 23:58
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    each point in tennis does resemble a miniature chess game - you (usually) need to first establish superior position (and prevent your opponent from doing so) - and once you're in position, you can then launch your attack.

many chess games are won because someone makes a "?" move - which is much like a point that is won in tennis due to someone making a ...[text shortened]... w Federer would do at chess - he strikes me as someone who'd be extremely good as it
    yes i think fed would make a great chess player as well

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree