1. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    16 Apr '07 07:201 edit
    Now this debate has been going on long enough in English and European football.

The top sides in the premiership have given past english managers alot of problems, trying every trick in the book to not release their players for International games.
    Ferguson, Wenger, Houllier and too a lesser degree Rafa.

But i've read in the papers over the last few weeks that Newcastle will quote "Go to war" with the FA if they pick MO for the next 2008 qualifier.
    Now, in this particular case with MO, i feel a little sorry for Newcastle as they've paid nearly a whole seasons salary too the player who got injured during an International game, without playing any games for his club in that time.
    My question is this, Have the barcodes a leg to stand on legally if the F.A pick Michael Owen? Or is it an Idle threat? Apparently Newcastle's lawyers believe they have a good legal case against the F.A if they do.
    And what about the players will? Will MO accept the clubs standpoint and not make himself available for Internationals?
  2. Standard memberCityblue
    Moonchester
    Blue Moon
    Moves
    16 Apr '07 12:06
    Originally posted by millerman

The top sides in the premiership have given past english managers alot of problems, trying every trick in the book to not release their players for International games.

But i've read in the papers over the last few ...[text shortened]... ill? Will MO accept the clubs standpoint and not make himself available for Internationals?
    My understanding is that the club has no right to simply refuse to release a player for international duty, unless they can demonstrate injury or such.....I suspect if MO hasn'r played for toon before end of season, then they must have a decent case....

I have no sympathy for them, as they will receive allegedly a few million in compensation for his injury.....

The premier league could stop the problem, by simply having a rule that players that missed internationals (without FA doctor agreeing he was injured) should be banned for a number of premier league games.....it would soon stop.

It always amazes me that it's generally the top clubs who do this, and they have the most resources to cope with players missing.....I'm a City fan - Micah Richards played for england last month, eventhough he wasn't 100% fit. He's now out for the season - don' hear many complaints from Psycho/city about it......
  3. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    16 Apr '07 14:11

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard membercadwah
    ¯\_(^.^)_/¯
    Moves
    16 Apr '07 14:48
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    The league is the game at it's highest level, international football pales in comparison to The Prem, La liga, Serie A and the champions league. Personally I don't care much for international footy, just another chance of good players getting injured for a sideshow IMO. If the FA decided they are going to force players to play International football you will just see more players make the same decision as Shearer and Scholes. Club must come before country, they pay the wages!
  5. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    16 Apr '07 15:221 edit

6. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '07 15:56
    Originally posted by cadwah
    The league is the game at it's highest level, international football pales in comparison to The Prem, La liga, Serie A and the champions league. Personally I don't care much for international footy, just another chance of good players getting injured for a sideshow IMO. If the FA decided they are going to force players to play International football you will ...[text shortened]... e the same decision as Shearer and Scholes. Club must come before country, they pay the wages!
    But do you think, for a moment, that Shearer and Scholes would have made that decision five years previously? Not a chance. Most players are still desperate to play for their country.

Compare the interest, big as it is, of England getting three teams in the semi-finals of the Champions League, with what happened in 1990 or 1996. Compare it to the reaction in France in 1998, or the reaction last year in Italy.

Club football will never be able to manage the significance of the top international matches.
  7. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    16 Apr '07 16:051 edit
    Originally posted by Cityblue
    - don' hear many complaints from Psycho/city about it......
    Great point!!!!

Pearce alwazs showed great pride in playing for his country.

So, what happens if Newcastle tell the F.A too do one, if they try to pick MO.

Will MO just sit back and let England struggle to qualify for the Euro's? Or will stand up to Sheppard and say "Look Chariman, you may pay my wages but you can't stop me playing for England".

Edit- If they try to fine MO. will the PFA try to intervene?
  8. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    16 Apr '07 16:10

9. Standard memberCityblue
    Moonchester
    Blue Moon
    Moves
    16 Apr '07 16:45
    Great point!!!!

Pearce alwazs showed great pride in playing for his country.

So, what happens if Newcastle tell the F.A too do one, if they try to pick MO.

Will MO just sit back and let England struggle to qualify for the Euro's? Or will stand up to Sheppard and say "Look Chariman, you may pay my wages but you can't stop me playing for England".

Edit- If they try to fine MO. will the PFA try to intervene?
    I believe that Owen would want to play for England whenever he could - whether he would stand up to Sheps is another matter unfortunately...

One point on the Standards of Ints/leagues and the interest, etc

In Cologne during world cup for England/Sweden game, there was a huge number of england fans in town - obviously most without tickets....I don't believe that the fans aren't interested in int football - maybe a few are, but the majority are passionate for england to win....
  10. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 15:33

But i've read in the papers over the last few ...[text shortened]... ill? Will MO accept the clubs standpoint and not make himself available for Internationals?
    Personally, if i was Michael Owen, I would not play for England this season out of respect for what Newcastle have done for me. I read they have spent £150,000 on his rehabilitation alone, not to mention his wages (though some of the bill was picked up by insurance and the FA did pay something towards his wages too i understand). That said, MO will be desperate to get back into the England side. It is pretty clear to me that he (unlike some players in an England shirt) values his place in the England side highly! I'm looking forward to seeing him come back. With any luck he can make a similar come back to that of Johnny Wilkinson (the two players seem to have similar it seems...)
  11. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 16:23
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Personally, if i was Michael Owen, I would not play for England this season out of respect for what Newcastle have done for me. I read they have spent £150,000 on his rehabilitation alone, not to mention his wages (though some of the bill was picked up by insurance and the FA did pay something towards his wages too i understand). That said, MO will be de ...[text shortened]... imilar come back to that of Johnny Wilkinson (the two players seem to have similar it seems...)
    Personally i would do the same,

But England needs you..........

Are you going to deny England a valuable attacking option and risk losing the FA an estimated £100m in losing revenue through not qualifying for the comp, and deny the rest of the country the privilage of following the team at the tournement (although, that maynot be a bad thing)

😛😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree