Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    20 Mar '10 10:51 / 1 edit
    http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/Education-secretary-speaks-out-over-low-graduation-rate-for-college-athletes-88683962.html

    Are American universities becoming simply farm systems for pro sports? Graduation rates of college athletes in football and basketball are now less than 40% in many universities. Schools who still insist on good academic preformance for there student/athletes are now attracting fewer high quality high school sports stars. It seems winning games is now far more imporntant than a quality education.

    :
  2. 20 Mar '10 18:36
    Originally posted by bill718
    http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/Education-secretary-speaks-out-over-low-graduation-rate-for-college-athletes-88683962.html

    Are American universities becoming simply farm systems for pro sports? Graduation rates of college athletes in football and basketball are now less than 40% in many universities. Schools who still insist on good academic preformance f ...[text shortened]... stars. It seems winning games is now far more imporntant than a quality education.

    :
    It is the student athletes fault. They are given a tremendous opportunity and if they don't take advantage of it, they are foolish.
  3. 21 Mar '10 05:58
    Originally posted by quackquack
    It is the student athletes fault. They are given a tremendous opportunity and if they don't take advantage of it, they are foolish.
    hhmmm, i wonder out of the 60% who fail how many of them either go on to become a pro athlete or end up making a living within the sports industry.

    academic success or sporting success?
  4. 22 Mar '10 12:18
    Originally posted by trev33
    hhmmm, i wonder out of the 60% who fail how many of them either go on to become a pro athlete or end up making a living within the sports industry.

    academic success or sporting success?
    I am sure the number is much less than 1%. There just are not that many professional athletes and I am sure lower level pro leagues would rather have a guy who completed his college career because he is more seasoned.
    As for sports industry jobs like most jobs. A degree is preferable to being a drop out.
  5. 22 Mar '10 20:52 / 2 edits
    the NFL and the NBA need to develop full-fledged minor league systems. Do it the way baseball and hockey does it. Those who want to go to college can still develop their athletic skills while they get a good eduction. Those who don't want to go to college can just enter the minor leagues and focus on their athletic career without worrying about taking classes they don't care about.
  6. 22 Mar '10 23:43
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    the NFL and the NBA need to develop full-fledged minor league systems. Do it the way baseball and hockey does it. Those who want to go to college can still develop their athletic skills while they get a good eduction. Those who don't want to go to college can just enter the minor leagues and focus on their athletic career without worrying about taking classes they don't care about.
    Baseball players in college NEVER get full scholarships, so the minor league system is often a more feasible option in baseball.

    The NBA has a D-league, in which they can avoid paying their developmental players (most of whom won't pan out as pros) absurd amounts of money to flame out.

    The NFL have such gigantic rosters that a minor league isn't necessary. They get a mandatory 3 years in college, playing against the players they'll play at the next level.