1. LA
    Moves
    24 May '08 20:081 edit
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    I think you need to read the thread through before you suggest what I've "implied".

The listing of some of the ManU players (and their price tags) who were on the pitch on Weds night was in response to Smiffy's post where he stated (about Chelsea) "just shows you that you cant buy cups". My point being, without a serious amount of money a team isn't lik er by reading more than just the tabloids and watching SKY.
    Had ManU not spent some serious cash themselves in the last few years they probably wouldn't have been on the pitch on Weds night.

United have spent more cash than anyone other that Chelsea but what most people forget or ignore is that United actually generate a lot of cash from a sucessful youth and development system.

Beckham net 25m profit.
    Stam net 6M profit.
    Richardson net 5M profit.
    Rossi net 6m profit.
    We sell a bunch of players each year for about 1M or 2M.
    Pique is next maybe 7M?

Our bad buys or sales are also well managed:-
    Nistelrooy - Overall cost transfer after sale 5.5M
    Veron - 27M-14m = 13m (Lucky escape)

Overall United's net spending is not very far away from Liverpools.
    We are a well managed business and we could sell Ronaldo tomorrow for 60M........

He has had less money to spend and has had to buy a number of cheaper options to bolster the squad

Rafa has brought about 60 players to Liverpool, what does that tell you?

Glory hunters and the press are having a go at Rafa for not winning the league yet. Well, winning a CL and FA cup and finshing 5th, 3rd, 3rd and 4th is a heck of a lot better than Fergie did in his first 4 seasons.

Don't forget Houlier won 5 cups in one season a year before he was fired.
    Rafa inherited a squad that was consistently winning the minor trophies and almost always finishing in the top 5.
    Sir Alex inherited a mess on and off the pitch.

I'm sure you remember the fortnightly chants of "Fergie out" at OT that season?

I'm sure we both remember the thread that I said Liverpool should sack Rafa and bring in o'Neil. You agreed with we 100%.
  2. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    25 May '08 08:14
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
    United have spent more cash than anyone other that Chelsea but what most people forget or ignore is that United actually generate a lot of cash from a sucessful youth and development system.

Overall United's net spending is not very far away from Liverpools.
    We are a well managed business and we could sell Ronaldo tomorrow for 60M........

R ...[text shortened]... thread that I said Liverpool should sack Rafa and bring in o'Neil. You agreed with we 100%.
    Net transfers spends were the figures I quoted! The fact that ManU have generated these large fees for home grown players only shows that they've spent even greater!

Rafa bringing so many players to Liverpool only backs up what I said about inheriting a poor squad and having to buy a lot of cheap players to replace them.

Houllier won 3 cups, tha charity shield and the super cup in 2001. It was a fantastic acheivement. However, he left in 2004 having only won the Worthless Cup to add to that. From 2001 to 2004, Liverpool lost Fowler, Litmanen, Anelka, Owen, McAllister, Murphy, Babbel, Henchoz and replaced then with Diao, Diouf, Cheyrou, Baros, Traore, Cisse and Kewell! So Rafa didn't inherit the squad that had been winning trophies.

I have to say, I was pretty narked off the day you posted something about O'Neill, and I do remember meekly agreeing. However, after the pain subsided I snapped out of it pretty quickly.
  3. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    25 May '08 08:20
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    [b]The point we were discussing was about spending money wisely.
    Really, where was that even mentioned?

Why is it that (Pre Glazers) United were able to sign the world's top players without going into debt, while Liverpool are scratching around buying multitudes in the hope that the odd bargain comes good.

However, you must be worried about t ...[text shortened]... e it a walking landmine.

It's also ridiculous on your part to compare United to Chelsea.
    Doyle78 - "Money does help BUT only if it is spent wisely."

Liverpool's marketing under Rick Parry has been woeful, but the small matter of ManU's 30,000 extra paying customers every fortnight makes a difference.

Where did I compare ManU to Chelsea?

Try harder.
  4. LA
    Moves
    25 May '08 16:41
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    Net transfers spends were the figures I quoted! The fact that ManU have generated these large fees for home grown players only shows that they've spent even greater!

Rafa bringing so many players to Liverpool only backs up what I said about inheriting a poor squad and having to buy a lot of cheap players to replace them.

Houllier won 3 cups, tha char ...[text shortened]... emember meekly agreeing. However, after the pain subsided I snapped out of it pretty quickly.
    I agree that LFC were right to sack Houllier, he bought badly towards the end and letting go of Anelka was a strange decision.
    However under Houllier there was a season that you finished 2nd, I think ahead of United.

Liverpool have almost always finished in the top 4 for just about the last 40 years so Rafa inherited a club in a much better position than Fergie did, so saying he's done a better job that Fergie after 4 years is not really a fair comparison.

The point I was trying to make about money is that United do spend alot but a fair amount of it is self generated, which points to a well run club.
    There's nothing really wrong with a team outspending others if the money is generated to some extent by a well ran organization. Its the Chelsea spending that is rediculous.
    They spend 17M on a RB knowing the manager is getting sacked.
    They bid 35M for Torres, looks like its going to be a crazy summer at Chelsea.

I think Rafa has made a lot of mistakes in the transfer market but he seems to be learning from this,
    60 players is a lot, all I'm saying is you seem to have the money to buy 2 15m+ players a season. Torres and Babel have shown this is the way to go, like United with Nani, Hargreaves and Anderson.
    6 or 7 million pound prospects are very very risky (Djemba Djemba, Kleberson, Forlan).
    10M+ prospects are a much safer bet, so buy less safer players.

If Liverpool just sighed a quality right winger and a LB, keep the rest of the team the same, you would certainly improve.
    If you stretch your money to 3 or 4 players to get in a new striker etc... you may end up buying the cheaper options (again).

If I supported LFC I would still want to see o'Neil replace Rafa.
    Rafa has to deliver this season, he's showing signs he is, I just think o'Neil would do a much better job.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree