Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. 17 Jul '11 21:47
    I was hoping for the American team, but I'm really happy for the Japanese who fended off attack after attack and made clutch goals. It has to be an upper for a country who suffered much this year.

    And to get to the end by beating German, Sweden, and the US - arguably the three best teams, all of whom had enormous height advantages?! Priceless.
  2. Subscriber shortcircuit
    The Energizer
    17 Jul '11 22:22
    Agreed. It was a well played game by both sides and the US just couldn't get it done.
    They missed converting many chances, and then totally spit the bit in the shoot out.

    If they were going to lose it to anyone, I am glad it was to Japan.
  3. Standard member HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    17 Jul '11 22:34
    Wait till next year!
  4. 17 Jul '11 23:00
    It's funny, but in each of the last three games, the commentators kept saying that Japan was being outplayed. Each win was cast as an "upset." You have to wonder about the criteria. Maybe the pressure/power play is not the only way to win, but rather to play solidly and bide your time. Wasn't that Venezuela and Spain's strategy in the men's WC last summer?
  5. 17 Jul '11 23:04
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    It's funny, but in each of the last three games, the commentators kept saying that Japan was being outplayed. Each win was cast as an "upset." You have to wonder about the criteria. Maybe the pressure/power play is not the only way to win, but rather to play solidly and bide your time. Wasn't that Venezuela and Spain's strategy in the men's WC last summer?
    no. spain controlled the game and venezuela didn't qualify.
  6. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    17 Jul '11 23:09
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Maybe the pressure/power play is not the only way to win, but rather to play solidly and bide your time.
    Very true. I distinctly remember that Japan had several very close opportunities for scoring that happened to occur right after the announcers finished somewhat condescending remarks about how Japan needed to "be more aggressive," "pick up the pace," etc.

    Their style worked for them just fine.
  7. Subscriber shortcircuit
    The Energizer
    18 Jul '11 03:09
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Very true. I distinctly remember that Japan had several very close opportunities for scoring that happened to occur right after the announcers finished somewhat condescending remarks about how Japan needed to "be more aggressive," "pick up the pace," etc.

    Their style worked for them just fine.
    Well, to be truthful, the fact that the US continually connected with the goal frame or
    the grandstands over the goal, might have had a bit to do with keeping Japan in the game.
    There was a 4-1 disparity in shots on goal and it wasn't until Japan did get more
    aggressive that they were able to score and hang with the US.

    This is not to take anything away from Japan because they nutted up at the end while
    the US choked it up.
  8. Standard member 8D
    Fixer
    18 Jul '11 14:44
    The USA totally outplayed Japan. The USA just could not convert. A classic game where one team just can not convert while the other team hangs on and wins.

    This happens ALL THE TIME in hockey.

    Japan did what a good tough team is supposed to do. Stay tough, keep playing hard and your game. Then get a bit lucky.

    And the USA totally choked on the PKs...........BRUTAL play there.
  9. Subscriber shortcircuit
    The Energizer
    18 Jul '11 17:55
    Originally posted by 8D
    The USA totally outplayed Japan. The USA just could not convert. A classic game where one team just can not convert while the other team hangs on and wins.

    This happens ALL THE TIME in hockey.

    Japan did what a good tough team is supposed to do. Stay tough, keep playing hard and your game. Then get a bit lucky.

    And the USA totally choked on the PKs...........BRUTAL play there.
    Wow!! Wish I had said exactly that in the post directly above you.

    Well, except for the hockey garbage.
  10. 18 Jul '11 18:28
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Well, to be truthful, the fact that the US continually connected with the goal frame or
    the grandstands over the goal, might have had a bit to do with keeping Japan in the game.
    There was a 4-1 disparity in shots on goal and it wasn't until Japan did get more
    aggressive that they were able to score and hang with the US.

    This is not to take anything away from Japan because they nutted up at the end while
    the US choked it up.
    " Goal frame " ?
    " Grandstands over the goal "
    "score and hang with the US "
    "Because they nutted up at the end "
    " the US choked up "
    Please !Please !, USA stay out of football ..
  11. 18 Jul '11 18:59
    Originally posted by phil3000
    " Goal frame " ?
    " Grandstands over the goal "
    "score and hang with the US "
    "Because they nutted up at the end "
    " the US choked up "
    Please !Please !, USA stay out of football ..
    What does England know about football,women's anyway? We have won two WC's and were minutes away from a third. England has won one men's WC(1966). We placed third in the first WC(1930). USA women have made every WC semifinal. How many teams can boast that? Pretty dang good for a country where soccer is not even fifth favorite. Hwever, soccer is the #1 amateur sport in the USA.

    You have to admit it seemed like the soccer gods decreed the ball not to go in. Japan played intelligent, patient soccer against a superior foe and prevailed. Giant slayers, eliminating three bigger, faster if somewhat less skilled teams in Germany, Sweden and USA. USA gave it away. Failed to capitalize on myriad goal scoring opportunities. Japan converetd two half baked attempts. Luck certainly played a role. All praise to Japan. Their strategy worked for them and ours failed for us. At least this time we got a well refereed game.
  12. Subscriber shortcircuit
    The Energizer
    18 Jul '11 19:44
    Originally posted by phil3000
    " Goal frame " ?
    " Grandstands over the goal "
    "score and hang with the US "
    "Because they nutted up at the end "
    " the US choked up "
    Please !Please !, USA stay out of football ..
    It is soccer....NOT football.

    If the terms were not sensible to you, I can explain them on a first grade level.

    If you need to hear side posts and crossbar, fine. I saved words and combine all.

    The grandstands are where the people sit....and they were located behind the goal, where the ball landed.

    The term "hang with" is a sports term very commonly used among athletes.
    Not surprised that one got by you. It means keep up with...stay on the same field with..
    trying like hell to compete with. Will any of those do for you?

    The term "nutting up" is another phrase commonly used in sports.
    Again, not surprised it was over your head. Maybe you have heard "gutting it out"
    or "sucking it up" or braving the advances of the opposition". Any of those
    work for you?

    The term "choking up" should be obvious to you. If you need me to explain it I will.

    Please, please, please try to understand that you are a joke.
  13. 18 Jul '11 20:24
    Japan won because the US missed early opportunities which gave Japan confidence... the funny thing is the commercial that kept cropping up.... No pressure. No chance

    It obviously applied to this game.
  14. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    19 Jul '11 01:23
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Japan won because the US missed early opportunities which gave Japan confidence... the funny thing is the commercial that kept cropping up.... [b]No pressure. No chance

    It obviously applied to this game.[/b]
    Yeah, what cracked me up was that the commercial was played several times after the U.S. team had officially lost already.

    Oh, the joys of advertising contracts, to be sure.
  15. 19 Jul '11 01:35
    I really don't get the people that say Japan was outplayed. If Japan had been outplayed, then they would have lost. It's that simple.
    While it is true that the US had plenty of chances that could have meant something if they had converted, the fact that they didn't convert shows that one that day, against that team, they were not the better team. Period.