1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    01 Oct '10 14:27
    Big surprise...the winner of the tour de france just tested positive for roids. He claims it was from eating tainted meat.

When was the last time the winner of the race WASN'T banned??

Cycling's a joke.
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '10 15:32
    you're an idiot.

the sample that was tested positive was 400 times smaller of a regular performance-enhancing dose. the result shouldn't have been made public as it is so obviously wasn't from condator trying to seek an advantage through doping.
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Oct '10 16:06
    I agree with trev, it doesn't seem likely that he took clenbuterol for performance enhancing.

That said, he and his team should be fined heavily for not controlling the food during the race.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Oct '10 16:44
    Breaking news: it seems traces of a plastic component found in blood transfusion bags was also found. If confirmed this is pretty damning. The method used to test it is not yet approved by the UCI but if the substance was in the transfused blood then it could explain why it was in such a small amount.
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '10 17:471 edit
    Originally posted by uzless
    Big surprise...the winner of the tour de france just tested positive for roids. He claims it was from eating tainted meat.

Cycling's a joke.
    The sports that report the most violations of banned substances (such as cycling and baseball) are probably the sports that are the cleanest. There's clearly a vigorous effort to catch the cheaters.

the sports I worry about are the ones where you almost never hear about anyone being punished for using banned substances. Such as golf and tennis.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    01 Oct '10 18:33
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    The sports that report the most violations of banned substances (such as cycling and baseball) are probably the sports that are the cleanest. There's clearly a vigorous effort to catch the cheaters.

the sports I worry about are the ones where you almost never hear about anyone being punished for using banned substances. Such as golf and tennis.
    Some of those ladies on the tennis court definitely look and sound full of roid rage.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Oct '10 22:08

Cycling's a joke.
    Evidently it's not a "steroid".

From wiki:
    Clenbuterol is a non-steroidal β2 adrenergic agonist,[1][unreliable source?] with some structural and pharmacological similarities to epinephrine and salbutamol, but its effects are more potent and longer-lasting as a stimulant and thermogenic drug. It causes an increase in aerobic capacity, central nervous system stimulation, and an increase in blood pressure and oxygen transportation.

Here's an informative article about the situation:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/columns/story?columnist=ford_bonnie_d&id=5634190
  8. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    04 Oct '10 06:38
    Originally posted by trev33
    you're an idiot.

the sample that was tested positive was 400 times smaller of a regular performance-enhancing dose. the result shouldn't have been made public as it is so obviously wasn't from condator trying to seek an advantage through doping.
    the winner of the race tests positive, AGAIN, and you don't think it makes cycling look like a joke?

Take a step outside and think about it. Makes no difference WHY he tested postiive. He did. Just like the long line of winners behind him.

And if what palynka is saying is true, then it's even worse, AGAIN.
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 Oct '10 14:05
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    By that measure, Spain should be the most drugs-clean country in the cycling world, because so many Spanish cyclists get caught. Pat McQuaid doesn't seem to agree with you, because he's been complaining (only somewhat hypocritically) about exactly that.

Richard
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    04 Oct '10 14:28
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    By that measure, Spain should be the most drugs-clean country in the cycling world, because so many Spanish cyclists get caught. Pat McQuaid doesn't seem to agree with you, because he's been complaining (only somewhat hypocritically) about exactly that.

Richard
    Do you really think that only in cycling this problem exists? Wow.

I'm pretty sure the incentives to cheat are the same in other sports (including football) and the rewards may be much higher.
  11. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    04 Oct '10 14:31
    the winner of the race tests positive, AGAIN, and you don't think it makes cycling look like a joke?

Take a step outside and think about it. Makes no difference WHY he tested postiive. He did. Just like the long line of winners behind him.

you're a narrow minded idiot who doesn't have a clue what he's talking about, again.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '10 19:172 edits

Makes no difference WHY he tested postiive. He did.

I suggest that you read the article I cited above and educate yourself instead of making remarks like this out of ignorance.

Here's an excerpt, but you really should read it in its entirety:
    The concentration of clenbuterol in Contador's urine sample was extremely low, but within the context of current anti-doping rules, that doesn't matter. As WADA director David Howman told the Associated Press, clenbuterol is not "a threshold substance,"meaning an accused athlete is accountable for it whether the quantity is large or infinitesimal...In a 2009 scholarly paper co-authored by Prof. Wilhelm Schaenzer, the Cologne lab director, he and two other German experts concluded: "With a detectability of clenbuterol at this low concentration, positive findings in residue analysis and doping control could be due to the consumption of trace amounts found in [livestock] feed or principally also in the water supply. Threshold concentration amounts for clenbuterol in doping control have, therefore, to be considered in the future." Catlin agreed, saying he thinks the rules are too strict...Paul Scott, a lawyer who has helped many athletes defend themselves against doping charges, said the small amount of clenbuterol found in Contador's samples mean that it was "impossible" he took it for doping purposes during the race. "You're going to see a lot more of these [positives] if WADA doesn't change their policy," he said.
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 Oct '10 21:41
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Do you really think that only in cycling this problem exists? Wow.
    Hell, no. But I do think that it's greater, at least in the size of the problems it causes, in cycling than in almost all other real (i.e., I'm not counting hormone-induced weightlifting, power-eating, body-building and the like) sports.

Richard
  14. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    05 Oct '10 06:372 edits
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b] Makes no difference WHY he tested postiive. He did.

I suggest that you read the article I cited above and educate yourself instead of making remarks like this out of ignorance.

Here's an excerpt, but you really should read it in its entirety:
    The concentration of clenbuterol in Contador's urine sample was extremely low, but withi t more of these [positives] if WADA doesn't change their policy," he said.
    [/b]
    holy cow, you guys couldn't find the point in a room full of javelins. It's about optics ffs. You've had rider after rider test positive for performance drugs and then the most recent winner (3 out of 4 i might add) saying he ate some bad meat his buddy brought him. What, no good frickin meat in town that you had to have Jorge the meat guy bring you some beef meat in his car?? Are you serious? Is this the way these guys are running the show??? In a sport that is hypersentsitized, you have the champ pulling the equivalent stunt of sending out for some McDonald's big mac at 2am?? . And how come no one else has ever tested postiive after eating a steak, or a whopper, or a Royale with Cheese ffs? I suppose the beef was from a cow that was injected with it...is that it? Or is he saying his Franks's Red hot sauce had more than just zing in there?

It's rediculous

You want to bog yourselves down in the little details and miss the larger picture, by all means go ahead....just remember to wipe the sand from your eyes when you come out for air.

Tainted meat. Pfft, should have his yellow jersey painted "DUNCE".
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '10 00:31
    holy cow, you guys couldn't find the point in a room full of javelins. It's about optics ffs. You've had rider after rider test positive for performance drugs and then the most recent winner (3 out of 4 i might add) saying he ate some bad meat his buddy brought him. What, no good frickin meat in town that you had to have Jorge the meat guy bring you some b ...[text shortened]... come out for air.

Tainted meat. Pfft, should have his yellow jersey painted "DUNCE".
    Evidently you either didn't read the article or were unable to comprehend it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree