1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 13:54
    Originally posted by Crowley
    These are some awesome catches and some good fielding. Note the lack of the HUGE glove:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2751861538415262473&q=cricket+catches
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=596575922641479703&q=cricket+catches
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHe8zg8zZUY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH2I6DdK21c
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mLHOylW5z8&mode=related&search=
    These are all little pops they are catching, why would they need a glove? They don't.

As for anyone laughing at MLB about wearing those gloves, look at your batter. He's got all sorts of armor on. So what's with cranking on MLB wearing a glove to catch a ball traveling near 130MPH while you guys dress like a Hockey goalie to bat?

P-
  2. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 14:04
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    These are all little pops they are catching, why would they need a glove? They don't.

As for anyone laughing at MLB about wearing those gloves, look at your batter. He's got all sorts of armor on. So what's with cranking on MLB wearing a glove to catch a ball traveling near 130MPH while you guys dress like a Hockey goalie to bat?

P-
    A cricket ball easily travels at that speed coming off the bat when well hit.

You know some of those clips are slow motion replays, don't you.
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 14:07
    Originally posted by Crowley
    A cricket ball easily travels at that speed coming off the bat when well hit.

You know some of those clips are slow motion replays, don't you.
    When a ball goes up... arcs.... and comes down... it's called a pop.

P-
  4. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 15:19

P-
    Because in cricket it's entirely legal for the bowler to aim at the batsman.
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 16:00
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Because in cricket it's entirely legal for the bowler to aim at the batsman.
    Baseball also. If the pitcher is nice, he'll hit you in the rump. Sometimes he'll square you between the shoulderblades. Sometimes, he'll hit you in the face.

P-
  6. Canberra, Australia
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 16:27
    Baseball also. If the pitcher is nice, he'll hit you in the rump. Sometimes he'll square you between the shoulderblades. Sometimes, he'll hit you in the face.

P-
    They get walked, don't they? In cricket you give it a rub - a hit to the nads requires a quick count - and play continues. Another reason for wearing a helmet is the rapid change in direction of the ball, caused by the seam and by the fact that the ball bounces before reaching the batsman.
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 16:42
    Originally posted by dyl
    They get walked, don't they? In cricket you give it a rub - a hit to the nads requires a quick count - and play continues. Another reason for wearing a helmet is the rapid change in direction of the ball, caused by the seam and by the fact that the ball bounces before reaching the batsman.
    MLB players don't rub, makes you look like a sissy.

P-
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 17:30
    I've seen piddly ground balls in cricket that sneak through all the fielders and count for 6 runs (I think it's 6). My question is do they ever crank those balls over the fence with those wonky bats and does it still count for 6 "runs"? Also, do the "outfielders" ever scale the wall and rob those dudes of those home runs a la I-CHI-RO.
  9. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 17:53

Second movie, this happens to be the movie I watched that made me start this thread. Looks like a pop fly bunt to a third baseman in MLB... (ie. No big deal)

Here is a real catch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojAVMtdnn4Y

P-
    The cricket catch was shown in slow motion - in real time the ball was probably travelling off the bat at 80-90mph. For a guy standing about 10 yards away that's 0.25 seconds to see the ball coming his way AND jump up in the air to catch a solid ball with one hand with no glove.

Your dude had about 4 seconds to see where the ball was going, and a huge glove to catch it with.
  10. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 17:55
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I've seen piddly ground balls in cricket that sneak through all the fielders and count for 6 runs (I think it's 6). My question is do they ever crank those balls over the fence with those wonky bats and does it still count for 6 "runs"? Also, do the "outfielders" ever scale the wall and rob those dudes of those home runs a la I-CHI-RO.
    You only get 6 runs if it goes straight over the ropes. So yes, they do. A boundary that bounces first is worth 4.

You don't have a wall in cricket.
  11. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 18:00
    If the ball hits the ground before reaching the boundary it's 4 runs. If it goes over without hitting the ground first it's 6. I don't think they've ever had big walls around the boundary, usually small fences. Though I did see one guy (Alan Donald for Warwickshire) catch the ball right on the boundary; his momentum made him fall back onto the fence and one of the posts got him right in the kidney, so it's not the safest form of boundary.
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 18:04
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    If the ball hits the ground before reaching the boundary it's 4 runs. If it goes over without hitting the ground first it's 6. I don't think they've ever had big walls around the boundary, usually small fences. Though I did see one guy (Alan Donald for Warwickshire) catch the ball right on the boundary; his momentum made him fall back onto the fence and one of the posts got him right in the kidney, so it's not the safest form of boundary.
    How far is the boundary from the batsmen?
  13. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 18:54
    How far is the boundary from the batsmen?
    Um, I don't know to be honest, maybe around 20-30 yards from the centre of the pitch? I don't think it's as far as that in baseball. The thing is that it changes a huge amount from ground to ground (and also can change within the same ground, i.e. the boundary off to the left can be a couple yards shorter than off to the right). Some grounds have a short boundary and so more 4's and 6's are scored than for grounds with longer boundaries. You can't change the length of the boundary during a game though so both teams benefit if the boundary is short.

How's this for quaint? Up until last year a top cricket club in England had a huge tree growing in the actual field - if the ball hit it it would automatically be 4 runs:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/4160973.stm
  14. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 19:101 edit
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    The cricket catch was shown in slow motion - in real time the ball was probably travelling off the bat at 80-90mph. For a guy standing about 10 yards away that's 0.25 seconds to see the ball coming his way AND jump up in the air to catch a solid ball with one hand with no glove.

Your dude had about 4 seconds to see where the ball was going, and a huge glove to catch it with.
    It's a foul tip pop at about 30 MPH tops.

The ball is on the way down when he gets it. That's a pop, and there is no way it is traveling as fast as you claim unless they've changed the laws of physics.

P-
  15. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 19:56
    It's a foul tip pop at about 30 MPH tops.

The ball is on the way down when he gets it. That's a pop, and there is no way it is traveling as fast as you claim unless they've changed the laws of physics.

P-
    Explain to me the physics again - why can't it be travelling at 80mph?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree