1. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    03 Feb '09 15:23
    Personally, I think Haddin knew it was questionable but went along with the appeal anyway- without referring to the umpire, which he could have done. I guess when you're an Australian cricketer at the moment, you'll take them any way you can.

What do you think? There's no question the batsman wasn't out: YouTube
  2. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Moves
    04 Feb '09 10:56
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    Personally, I think Haddin knew it was questionable but went along with the appeal anyway- without referring to the umpire, which he could have done. I guess when you're an Australian cricketer at the moment, you'll take them any way you can.

What do you think? There's no question the batsman wasn't out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBv4gq72p4M
    I dont believe he cheated or did it intentional, but i do believe he knew he hit the stumps.Whether he knew if the ball hit the bail , i do not know whether he knew that.
  3. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '09 14:36
    Originally posted by boarman
    I dont believe he cheated or did it intentional, but i do believe he knew he hit the stumps.Whether he knew if the ball hit the bail , i do not know whether he knew that.
    That's not relevant, though. As soon as his hands were in front of the stumps it was a no-ball.

I don't really blame Haddin for going along with the appeal (though I'd think much more highly of him if he hadn't). But Ponting making a big deal of Vettori being unhappy about it was pathetic.
  4. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    04 Feb '09 20:03
    Haddin is a dirty filthy lying cheat of the kind that needs to be removed from the game. He's as bad as the underarm incident and the Colin Croft umpire nudge.

Now the Ponting, who is standing by Haddin tell the world press the NZ'ers have apologised for the accusation and that's another stinking lie... no way have they apologised.. Vettori is sticking to the claim that Haddin cheated.

This won't go away until senior Australian officials acknowledge, censure Haddin and Ponting and apologise. No debate fellas this is blatant and it stinks.
  5. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    05 Feb '09 14:07
    Wow. The credit crunch has had far wider consequences than I ever imagined.

What's a win bonus for an Australian ODI player these days, because apparently that's the price of Aussie integrity...
  6. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    05 Feb '09 15:32
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    This won't go away until senior Australian officials acknowledge, censure Haddin and Ponting and apologise. No debate fellas this is blatant and it stinks.
    But you know this won't happen. I believe a number of players (including Warne) were guilty of cheating in India, but lied their way out of it. Cronje admitted it and got banned for life.

Cricket Australia has never shown any interest in getting to the truth and doing the right thing.

I have no sympathy for Cronje, BTW, but if he was less honest he might have got away with it.
  7. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    05 Feb '09 20:06
    But you know this won't happen. I believe a number of players (including Warne) were guilty of cheating in India, but lied their way out of it. Cronje admitted it and got banned for life.

Cricket Australia has never shown any interest in getting to the truth and doing the right thing.

I have no sympathy for Cronje, BTW, but if he was less honest he might have got away with it.
    You are right, they'll keep up this wall of deceit. It requires the fans to demand and end to it or for the ICC to come out of their closet and ban some of them.

In Haddin's case the video is clear cut showing him cheating in the manner we all did on purpose as kids when we had a snitch on a rival that he has no place in test or first class or club cricket - he simply has to go in disgrace.

Greg and Trevor Chappell took a very very short time to realise their disgraceful error of judgement and made public apologies a thousand times.

Perhaps Alan Border was the last gentlemanly Captain of Australia.
  8. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Moves
    06 Feb '09 08:54

I cant see how telling an Indian bookmaker the pitch conditions can be construed as cheating.
  9. Standard memberElamef37
    Queenslander
    Tropical North
    Moves
    06 Feb '09 09:58
    Will anything be done about this Haddin incident?

I thought I saw the gloves hit the bails.

Looking like a close game tonight 🙂
  10. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    06 Feb '09 17:12
    Originally posted by Elamef37
    Will anything be done about this Haddin incident?

I thought I saw the gloves hit the bails.
    Of course nothing will be done. The gloves hit the bails almost certainly accidentally. So at worst he appealed for something he knew wasn't out. Which, while not being exactly sportsmenlike, is hardly unusual.
  11. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    06 Feb '09 18:37
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Of course nothing will be done. The gloves hit the bails almost certainly accidentally. So at worst he appealed for something he knew wasn't out. Which, while not being exactly sportsmenlike, is hardly unusual.
    He deliberately held his gloves in front of the wickets which is cheating in itself the ball went into the gloves so he knew the batsman wasn't bowled as it was a no ball.

This practise was what we did to mates in fun cricket playing in the back yard... it isn't just bad sportsmanship... the man is a robbing cheat.

How can you possibly say at worst he appealed for something he knew wasn't out... The umpire was totally mislead by a deliberate act of cheating.

Had their been a third umpire with the power to over rule and cite players this would have been not out and Haddin would be on report.
  12. Canberra, Australia
    Moves
    07 Feb '09 18:35

What do you think? There's no question the batsman wasn't out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBv4gq72p4M
    Great wicket!
  13. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Moves
    08 Feb '09 03:00
    Maybe we should look at Mathew Haydens dismissal in one of the recent tests.He was given out caught , but the ball plainly came off his pads and the South Africans knew that too but still appealed, should we call this cheating also.

I think not, its heat of the moment stuff and with the 3rd umpire, hawkeye, heatspot , numerous replays you will always see it different to the umpires.

decisions should be left in the hands of the umpires, thats the beauty of cricket, some you win others you lose.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '09 04:20
    I kept wicket for 20 years at club level in Britain and I'd say he knew. It's not like it involves your pads or your forearm, or a bump ball that bgoes through to slip. It involves your hands and fingers. The sequence of impacts - fingers into the bail, ball into the fingers - is unmistakable. The guy knew.
  15. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    08 Feb '09 04:31
    Maybe we should look at Mathew Haydens dismissal in one of the recent tests.He was given out caught , but the ball plainly came off his pads and the South Africans knew that too but still appealed, should we call this cheating also.

I think not, its heat of the moment stuff and with the 3rd umpire, hawkeye, heatspot , numerous replays you will always see ...[text shortened]... be left in the hands of the umpires, thats the beauty of cricket, some you win others you lose.
    appealing to all sorts of things has always been part of keeping the umpires and batsmen on their toes. A deliberate act of doing something illegal to fake a wicket is much more than leaving something to the umpire to sort out. Heck come to thing of it the underarm incident wasn't even illegal at the time The Haddin incident was and is a disgrace.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree