1. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29845
    29 Dec '12 08:54
    What is the precise statistical basis for the selection of the following 'fantasy' XI (featuring 6 batsmen and 5 bowlers)?

    Stewart
    Atherton
    Vaughan
    Butcher
    Hussain
    Gooch
    DeFreitas
    Gough
    Fraser
    Caddick
    Malcolm

    These would be the six other players in the same squad (3 more batsmen, and 3 more bowlers, picked on the same basis):

    Thorpe
    Ramprakash
    Pietersen
    Headley
    Tufnell
    and Hoggard or Harmison
  2. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    5232
    29 Dec '12 22:312 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    What is the precise statistical basis for the selection of the following 'fantasy' XI (featuring 6 batsmen and 5 bowlers)?

    Stewart
    Atherton
    Vaughan
    Butcher
    Hussain
    Gooch
    DeFreitas
    Gough
    Fraser
    Caddick
    Malcolm

    These would be the six other players in the same squad (3 more batsmen, and 3 more bowlers, picked on the same basis):

    Thorpe
    Ramprakash
    Pietersen
    Headley
    Tufnell
    and Hoggard or Harmison
    Total stab in the dark. As they are all players from the last 20 years or so, are these the top English run scorers and wicket takers in tests against South Africa?

    Or, alternatively, the top individual score / most wickets taken in a test match against South Africa. I recall Devon Malcolm taking a bucketful against them once.

    Or best test averages against South Africa?
  3. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29845
    30 Dec '12 00:25
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Total stab in the dark. As they are all players from the last 20 years or so, are these the top English run scorers and wicket takers in tests against South Africa?

    Or, alternatively, the top individual score / most wickets taken in a test match against South Africa. I recall Devon Malcolm taking a bucketful against them once.

    Or best test averages against South Africa?
    No. This puzzle does not involve South Africa.
  4. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    5232
    30 Dec '12 08:55
    Originally posted by FMF
    No. This puzzle does nojt involve South Africa.
    I thought I was being so clever.

    Anything to do with alphabetical order?
  5. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29845
    30 Dec '12 11:02
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    I thought I was being so clever.

    Anything to do with alphabetical order?
    No. You were on the right lines before.
  6. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    5232
    30 Dec '12 19:46
    Originally posted by FMF
    No. You were on the right lines before.
    Is it about performances against a specific country?
  7. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29845
    30 Dec '12 23:55
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Is it about performances against a specific country?
    Yes.
  8. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    5232
    31 Dec '12 11:01
    Bangladesh?
  9. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29845
    31 Dec '12 12:33
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Bangladesh?
    Neither Ramprakash nor Headley [for instance] played any Tests against Bangladesh.
  10. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    5232
    31 Dec '12 12:34
    Originally posted by FMF
    Neither Ramprakash nor Headley [for instance] played any Tests against Bangladesh.
    Sri Lanka?
  11. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29845
    31 Dec '12 14:411 edit
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Sri Lanka?
    Dean Headley never played a Test against them.

    Ramprakash only scored 95 against them in 2 games.
  12. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    5232
    31 Dec '12 15:361 edit
    Is it bad performance related rather than good?

    Australia?
  13. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29845
    31 Dec '12 17:07
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Is it bad performance related rather than good?

    Australia?
    England unable to win AWAY in Australia 1988-2007, most prolific run scorers and most prolific wicket takers.
  14. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Joined
    22 Feb '06
    Moves
    13669
    16 Jan '13 17:37
    Originally posted by FMF
    What is the precise statistical basis for the selection of the following 'fantasy' XI (featuring 6 batsmen and 5 bowlers)?

    Stewart
    Atherton
    Vaughan
    Butcher
    Hussain
    Gooch
    DeFreitas
    Gough
    Fraser
    Caddick
    Malcolm

    These would be the six other players in the same squad (3 more batsmen, and 3 more bowlers, picked on the same basis):

    Thorpe
    Ramprakash
    Pietersen
    Headley
    Tufnell
    and Hoggard or Harmison
    those must be the best cricketeers of all time.

    maybe they lift their pinky the highest during the tea intervals or wear the most crisply starched knickers?
  15. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Joined
    17 Apr '02
    Moves
    91690
    17 Jan '13 10:22
    Originally posted by Red Night
    those must be the best cricketeers of all time.

    maybe they lift their pinky the highest during the tea intervals or wear the most crisply starched knickers?
    No, these are the guys who were never quite the best, but still had more ball skills than any baseball player in existence.
Back to Top