1. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    30 Dec '07 23:221 edit
    I watched in dismay as Kallis was adjudged caught behind off his shoulder in the second innings against the Windies, causing yet another South African batting collapse, when he was in a position to save the test for us.
    He looked in fearsome form and while he was there, we had a definite chance to still win the game...

Why is this allowed to happen?

Seriously, all the infrastructure is in place for run-outs and stumpings, why can't we use the ultra-slow motion cameras and stump microphones to assist in catches and maybe even LBW decisions?

If a player knows he didn't nick the ball that was caught or if he knows he did nick it on an LBW decision, the player should be allowed to appeal any umpiring decision.

This gentlemanly conduct BS has to stop. I could see the hurt in Jacques' eyes as the obviously blind umpires' finger went up.
    Let's get it right ICC!
  2. Cavan, Ireland
    Moves
    31 Dec '07 00:04
    Cricket - why do people (prats) spend so much time crying about a _____ cats (remove cats) game?
  3. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    31 Dec '07 07:37
    Originally posted by John1916
    Cricket - why do people (prats) spend so much time crying about a _____ cats (remove cats) game?
    Excuse me? Can you translate that into English for me please?
  4. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    31 Dec '07 16:09
    Big?
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    31 Dec '07 17:27
    Originally posted by invigorate
    Big?
    BIG
  6. 6yd box
    Moves
    31 Dec '07 17:40
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Excuse me? Can you translate that into English for me please?
    ignor him.....man with very little sporting knowledge!!!
  7. Cavan, Ireland
    Moves
    31 Dec '07 22:461 edit
    Anyone who wants a real game that involves batting a ball with a stick play hurling - a game described as ice hockey played in the air on a grass field. That's not exaggerating - the speed that hurling is played at is phenomenal - it's without doubt the fastest field game is the world. I'm sure there's plenty of Irsih people out there to bac me up and probably many others from other countries but how many of them will look in a cricket thread - I'm sure you Brits will have fun playing your cricket, very intense game eh - a ball throw at 100mph - what about a ball pucked at 150mph and 3-4 men contesting for it with a huge chance that one will get a clatter across the ball from the hurl. But of course a game that lasts several days I'm sure is much more enjoyable.
  8. 6yd box
    Moves
    01 Jan '08 00:09
    Anyone who wants a real game that involves batting a ball with a stick play hurling - a game described as ice hockey played in the air on a grass field. That's not exaggerating - the speed that hurling is played at is phenomenal - it's without doubt the fastest field game is the world. I'm sure there's plenty of Irsih people out there to bac me up and proba ...[text shortened]... om the hurl. But of course a game that lasts several days I'm sure is much more enjoyable.
    that is all very well and i am sure Hurling is a great sport.... but that does not make cricket a rubbish game does it?

You play hurling and we will play cricket...whats wrong with that?
  9. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    01 Jan '08 09:14
    I have a Satellite dish in my yard, and for the life of me I cannot find anything pertaining to this "criquet" game. I would love to learn what the draw is, because I'm competitive. However, no one seems to know anything, and there's no media showing it.
  10. Joined
    13 Sep '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '08 11:41
    I watched in dismay as Kallis was adjudged caught behind off his shoulder in the second innings against the Windies, causing yet another South African batting collapse, when he was in a position to save the test for us.
    He looked in fearsome form and while he was there, we had a definite chance to still win the game...

Why is this allowed to happen?
    ...[text shortened]... in Jacques' eyes as the obviously blind umpires' finger went up.
    Let's get it right ICC!
    I agree with you that technology should be used a bit more. It's great for run-outs and stumpings and should be included with catches as well - such as those where the ball is close to the bat, pad and body.

I think it should also be used for no-balls - why should the main umpire look down to check for a no-ball and then quickly look up and make the decisions. You have to quickly focus and while I haven't actually done it myself, it can't be that easy?? Maybe it can?? A camera could monitor that and the umpire watch the play.

However, you cannot blame the umpire for South Africa's batting collapse. Quite simply, they were outplayed. If they were good enough, they wouldn't have collapsed liked that and possibly saved the match.

If an Australian complained about losing because of a decision like that, we'd be branded whingers.. I just see it as you take the good with the bad. Some (debateable) decisions go your way and some don't. Maybe next match South Africa will get a close decision going their way.

I do think that keeping the human element in the game is a good thing - even if it doesn't always go your way. It's just part of the game.
  11. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    01 Jan '08 17:081 edit
    Originally posted by AussieG
    I do think that keeping the human element in the game is a good thing - even if it doesn't always go your way. It's just part of the game.
    I believe every batsman should have the option to appeal a decision.
    Also, the fielding captain should be able to refer an appeal he feels has merit - maybe he should have the option to refer 5 'potential decisions' per innings or something to that effect.

The no ball checking is also a good idea and is something I have proposed before.
    Some people seem to think it will slow down the game too much, I don't think so.
    Every umpire can wear an ear piece and the 'no ball umpire' can press a button if the ball is adjudged a no ball that can signal the on field umpires. This would happen almost instantaneously and won't affect the game time-wise.

The umpire still needs to be on the field and in control, but I believe that cricket is now a professional sport. This is people's lives/jobs at stake here, plus sponsorships etc. for the team and indviduals - we can't allow a few bad decisions to possibly ruin a test series or even cost a player his place in a team.
    Let's get it right. If a player is out - he needs to walk. If a fielding captain can refer decisions, guys who know they nicked it etc. will walk. This will actually speed up the game. If a player is not out, because the umpire missed a no ball or a nick in a LBW decision, the player should be allowed to bat on.
    I like the human element on the field, but using the technology makes sense. Let's get it right, first time.
  12. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    01 Jan '08 19:48
    Anyone who wants a real game that involves batting a ball with a stick play hurling - a game described as ice hockey played in the air on a grass field. That's not exaggerating - the speed that hurling is played at is phenomenal - it's without doubt the fastest field game is the world. I'm sure there's plenty of Irsih people out there to bac me up and proba ...[text shortened]... om the hurl. But of course a game that lasts several days I'm sure is much more enjoyable.
    Well start your own thread then and play by yourself.
  13. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    01 Jan '08 19:51
    I believe every batsman should have the option to appeal a decision.
    Also, the fielding captain should be able to refer an appeal he feels has merit - maybe he should have the option to refer 5 'potential decisions' per innings or something to that effect.

The no ball checking is also a good idea and is something I have proposed before.
    Some people se ...[text shortened]... nt on the field, but using the technology makes sense. Let's get it right, first time.
    I'm undecided. If we're talking India or Pakistan, then the game could certainly be ruined by appeals. Perhaps, yes, but a limit on the number per innings.
  14. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    01 Jan '08 22:40
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    I'm undecided. If we're talking India or Pakistan, then the game could certainly be ruined by appeals. Perhaps, yes, but a limit on the number per innings.
    Maybe, but I don't think you can limit the batsman's appeals - what if there are 10 bad decisions against him in a row?
    Limit the fielding captain, but not the batsman.
  15. Standard memberInlandRevenueUK
    Cause I'm the taxman
    Moves
    01 Jan '08 23:24
    Maybe, but I don't think you can limit the batsman's appeals - what if there are 10 bad decisions against him in a row?
    Limit the fielding captain, but not the batsman.
    Can you honestly point to an example of a player having such bad luck?

Umpires have an incredibly difficult job to do yet get the decisions correct 95% of the time (This is backed up by TV replays which most of the time show the umpire to be correct) It is also very rare for the umpire's decisions alone cost a side victory.

As for Kallis there are times, I am sure, when he has been "out" but hasn't been given. I am also sure he has claimed LBWs when the batsmen has hit it, or caimed a caught behind when the ball has missed the bat.

The fact remains that upires do make mistakes (Just as players do) and whilst it is frustrating, it would become dull if we removed the human error from the game.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree