1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '09 01:551 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    As an obvious example this year, the Cubs had a payroll $57 million larger than the Cardinals. Contrary to WhodeyThink, the bigger payroll team is sitting home this October. This type of thing happens virtually every year in baseball.
    If you read my post, I said that no small market team will win the Series from here on out. I was not talking about what had already happed. As for the Cubs, they are a poorly run organization that is cursed to boot. The only reason they do not finish last every year is their high pay roll. Having said that, the three big spenders in the division, Houston, Cardinals, and Cubs are the only contenders for the division for a very long time.

As for the Marlins, they are a well run organization like the Rays? Coincidence? I don't think so. I have a theory that people often give up pay roll for a nice place to live. I know other professionals that do the same, so why not athletes?
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    06 Oct '09 02:031 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    If you read my post, I said that no small market team will win the Series from here on out. I was not talking about what had already happed. As for the Cubs, they are a poorly run organization that is cursed to boot. The only reason they do not finish last every year is their high pay roll. Having said that, the three big spenders in the division, Houston ll for a nice place to live. I know other professionals that do the same, so why not athletes?
    The Brewers made the playoffs from the NL Central in 2008. The "big spending" Cardinals spent only $4 million more than the Reds in 2009.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '09 02:06
    The Brewers made the playoffs from the NL Central in 2008. The "big spending" Cardinals spent only $4 million more than the Reds in 2009.
    Did I say anything about the playoffs? As I said, a small number of small market teams have winning seasons. As I recall there were 6 of them this year with the two Florida teams being two of them. Likewise, there are only about 6 teams who are big payroll teams that do not have winning seasons. The correlation is unmistakable. As with most other things, just follow the money trail to understand why things are the way they are.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    06 Oct '09 12:26
    Did I say anything about the playoffs? As I said, a small number of small market teams have winning seasons. As I recall there were 6 of them this year with the two Florida teams being two of them. Likewise, there are only about 6 teams who are big payroll teams that do not have winning seasons. The correlation is unmistakable. As with most other things, just follow the money trail to understand why things are the way they are.
    😴😴 No matter how many times you are shown to be wrong, you persist in your shrieking. It's tiresome.
  5. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    06 Oct '09 12:28
    And I guess two years ago you would have predicted that no team other than the Yankees or Red Sox would ever win the AL East. This year big spenders did well. There is no reason to think that that will happen every year.
  6. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    06 Oct '09 16:14
    Originally posted by quackquack
    And I guess two years ago you would have predicted that no team other than the Yankees or Red Sox would ever win the AL East. This year big spenders did well. There is no reason to think that that will happen every year.
    well - it's a pretty good bet that the Yankees and Red Sox will be in the post-season every year - or if one team misses, it won't be by much.
  7. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    06 Oct '09 16:39
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    well - it's a pretty good bet that the Yankees and Red Sox will be in the post-season every year - or if one team misses, it won't be by much.
    Tampa won 97 games last year. The idea that they can't compete or that it is ancient history is just a joke. Baltimore is starting to develop talented young players. There is no reason why they can't win the division either. The argument that it did not happen in 2009 therefore it will never happen at any time in the future is not a good one.
  8. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    06 Oct '09 17:051 edit
    Tampa won 97 games last year. The idea that they can't compete or that it is ancient history is just a joke. Baltimore is starting to develop talented young players. There is no reason why they can't win the division either. The argument that it did not happen in 2009 therefore it will never happen at any time in the future is not a good one.
    And this year it was back to the middle of the pack.

In any given year, out of all the low payroll teams, someone's likely to get lucky and overachieve. Maybe this year's team is the Twins. But how many of these teams will ever be a perennial contender?

Likewise, in any given year, a couple of the big payroll teams will bomb. But you know they're still going to be one of the favorites to reach post-season the following year.
  9. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    06 Oct '09 17:48
    Tampa finished third (just like the Yankees did last year). There is no reason to think that they can't compete even if they are in baseball's best division.
    The idea that the Twins are one team that might win a division is inaccurate. The Twins are as good as any team in their division. For the second consecutive year they are tied for first. They outright won the division in 2006. When a team finshes at least tied for first three of four years they are more than just a fluke.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    06 Oct '09 21:01
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    And this year it was back to the middle of the pack.

In any given year, out of all the low payroll teams, someone's likely to get lucky and overachieve. Maybe this year's team is the Twins. But how many of these teams will ever be a perennial contender?

Likewise, in any given year, a couple of the big payroll teams will bomb. But you know they're still going to be one of the favorites to reach post-season the following year.
    The Twins have been perennial contenders in the AL Central since Ron Gardenhire took over in 2002; they've won the division outright 4 times and have finished tied for 1st twice in 8 years.
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Oct '09 02:211 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Ryan Raburn hit a walk off home run against the Cubs last night to extend the Tigers' winning streak to five. They've got a four game lead in the AL Central. Maybe they'll atone for their hugely disappointing season from last year and make it to the playoffs.
    Ha! Booted off by the lowly Twins! Choked down the stretch! I have always loved the Tigers, but this time they choked! This time they resembled the Cowboys. All it took was one bad Raburn pitch.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 15:331 edit
    The Twins have been perennial contenders in the AL Central since Ron Gardenhire took over in 2002; they've won the division outright 4 times and have finished tied for 1st twice in 8 years.
    So they are a well run ball club. Give them the Yankees payroll and I say they win the World Series every year. However, continue on their meager payroll and they will NEVER win another World Series.
  13. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 15:41
    So they are a well run ball club. Give them the Yankees payroll and I say they win the World Series every year. However, continue on their meager payroll and they will NEVER win another World Series.
    You can say whatever you want but it isn't just about money.
    The Yankees and the Red Sox are well run and spend boat loads of money and actually don't win evrey year.
    The Twins already are good and well run. They actually could have been better if they got anything for Johan Santana and if Liriano did not get hurt. They lost one playoff game and now I have to hear you crying that they will never ever win again.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 16:171 edit
    [b]You can say whatever you want but it isn't just about money.
    I never said it was all about the money, however, to say that the money does not give these teams an edge with the higher the payroll the better the edge, then you are deluded. Clearly the facts point to the fact that the great majority of high payroll teams have winning records as where the low payroll teams do not. Is it merely a coincidence?
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    08 Oct '09 16:27
    I never said it was all about the money, however, to say that the money does not give these teams an edge with the higher the payroll the better the edge, then you are deluded. Clearly the facts point to the fact that the great majority of high payroll teams have winning records as where the low payroll teams do not. Is it merely a coincidence?
    If you own a team, sink some money into it. It's a called an investment.

No one is telling any team they can't sink some money into it. Many owners don't realize the formula of sinking extra money in to get MORE money out of it.

Too often teams are getting money they put in their pockets rather than spending on the team. Other teams don't know how to spend their money because their front office isn't run well.

There are a few teams that realize the better product they put out the better returns they get. Look what the Crafts did with the Patriots.

Don't blame NYY and Boston for spending, blame your teams for NOT spending.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree