1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 01:30
    Longest game in grand slam history, 5 hours 53 minutes of the most grueling physical battles I ever saw. Incredible match, Rafa looked like he was coming back only to lose a break in the 5th set. Both players were very gracious in their short speeches. They are both great ambassadors to the game.
  2. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 02:24
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Longest game in grand slam history, 5 hours 53 minutes of the most grueling physical battles I ever saw. Incredible match, Rafa looked like he was coming back only to lose a break in the 5th set. Both players were very gracious in their short speeches. They are both great ambassadors to the game.
    I agree, it was sad that one of them had to lose. I have respect for both of these men
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    31 Jan '12 20:33
    Damn, I was hoping for Rafa to finally win one again. He's lost to Djokovic now about 7-8 times in a row.
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    31 Jan '12 21:18
    Not even close to the longest match in Grand Slam history. That was Isner-Mahut, Wimbledon, the year before last, and let's hope that we'll never see such a spectacle of boring attrition again. Its final set was longer than Rafa and Djoko's entire match, and frankly, I ran out of steam before Mahut did.
    This one was, however, the longest Grand Slam final ever. (Well, in the modern game, at least. And before that doesn't count, because they did things very differently then.) It's also the longest match ever at the Aussie Open.
    It was also a much, much better match. Very high-quality play. I will still never really be a fan of either player, but that doesn't mean I can't recognise a good performance when I see it.

Richard
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    31 Jan '12 21:37
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Not even close to the longest match in Grand Slam history. That was Isner-Mahut, Wimbledon, the year before last, and let's hope that we'll never see such a spectacle of boring attrition again. Its final set was longer than Rafa and Djoko's entire match, and frankly, I ran out of steam before Mahut did.
    This one was, however, the longest Grand Slam [i] ...[text shortened]... yer, but that doesn't mean I can't recognise a good performance when I see it.

Richard
    Are you a Roger Federer fan?
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 Feb '12 18:43
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Are you a Roger Federer fan?
    Very much so, yes. I like his style both on and off the court.

Richard
  7. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    09 Feb '12 19:32
    I remember when McEnroe was on court, and people excused his behaviour on the basis that tennis made you exhausted, and that you needed this 'edge' to win.

Though I am not a tennis fan, I am glad that Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and, dare I say it, Murray, have shown that the 'Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser' is the utter b@llocks I always thought it was.
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '12 20:47
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    I remember when McEnroe was on court, and people excused his behaviour on the basis that tennis made you exhausted, and that you needed this 'edge' to win.

Though I am not a tennis fan, I am glad that Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and, dare I say it, Murray, have shown that the 'Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser' is the utter b@llocks I always thought it was.
    It isn't utter bollocks it just depends on the person.
  9. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 Feb '12 08:591 edit
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    It isn't utter bollocks it just depends on the person.
    Err......if it depends on the person, then the phrase is utter bollocks, as it suggests that you have to behave in an unsportsmanlike manner to be successful. The phrase isn't "Some people have to behave badly to be successful" (which I agree with you is probably true, more's the pity).

It is the idea that success and bad sportsmanship have to be linked that the current crop of top tennis players disprove. Federer is a good loser, so the phrase is by definition utter bollocks.
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Feb '12 13:58
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Murray has grown up, hasn't he? I used to dislike his demeanor, but, even if he still does and probably always will have a touch of Dour Scot in him (and why not? We don't have to - indeed, shouldn't - all be the same), he is now quite capable of behaving well both during and after the game. Well done, that man.

Richard (with apologies for the horrible sentence construction...)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree