1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 16:55
    that the yanks won the world series other than yankee fans?

Big deal they spent 50 million more than anyone else. Seems they were supposed to win it. Hard to get excited over something that was supposed to happen.

I wonder who the yanks will play in the playoffs next year?
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 16:57
    Originally posted by uzless
    same team they played last year?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 17:211 edit
    that the yanks won the world series other than yankee fans?

Big deal they spent 50 million more than anyone else. Seems they were supposed to win it. Hard to get excited over something that was supposed to happen.

I could not be happier. In fact, I hope they win next year to, and the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that until all the "small people" get tired of them and then they can play themsevles.
  4. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 17:45
    Originally posted by whodey
    I could not be happier. In fact, I hope they win next year to, and the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that until all the "small people" get tired of them and then they can play themsevles.
    You do realize what happens to sports when the same few teams are the only real contenders every year right? The sport begins to fade in popularity and eventually fizzles out.

Look at F1.
    Look at the the premiership in england.
    And yes, look at baseball.

The "also rans" are starting to lose fans because those fans realize their teams have no hope of winning. Is this good for the leagues?
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 17:49
    It's fizzling out?
  6. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 18:19
    There is more parity in baseball than there ever has been but don't let the fact ruin a good argument.
  7. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 18:31
    You do realize what happens to sports when the same few teams are the only real contenders every year right? The sport begins to fade in popularity and eventually fizzles out.

Look at F1.

The "also rans" are starting to lose fans because those fans realize their teams have no hope of winning. Is this good for the leagues?
    I think you have got it wrong with the Premiership in England .
    A better example would be the Scottish premier you could toss a coin for the winner year in year out ....heads Celtic.....Tails Rangers ...
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 18:341 edit

Look at F1.

Why do you say baseball and the priemership are fizzling out? Do you have stats to back this up? Attendance trends? TV ratings? Anything?

PS - i care that the Yankees won because I am a baseball/MLB fan.
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 18:35
    Originally posted by phil3000
    I think you have got it wrong with the Premiership in England .
    A better example would be the Scottish premier you could toss a coin for the winner year in year out ....heads Celtic.....Tails Rangers ...
    heads 😉
  10. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 20:51
    Originally posted by Palynka
    It's fizzling out?
    worldwide i'm talking.

people in N.america who never paid attention to soccer (football) started to pay attention about 5 years ago...but it died out pretty quick when you realized very fast that there only about 4 teams each year that have a shot at the title.

The fans who are diehards will always be fans. I'm talking about the average fan or the marginal fan. These are the ones that are losing interest and this is how the teams of the non-competes lose fans and eventually lose money.
  11. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 21:00
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Why do you say baseball and the priemership are fizzling out? Do you have stats to back this up? Attendance trends? TV ratings? Anything?
    Well you can look up the viewership numbers for Setanta sports if you want. But you can justify any drop by saying the economy hit people's pocket books so they cut back on non-essential tv channels. You can look at attendance and say it's down because of the economy, or you can say it's up because the team dropped ticket prices (or gave them away for free in phoenix/florida in the NHL)

Stats dont' really tell you anything for sure. The best way is to ask people you know. My relatives live in England and they say they are losing interest even though they are huge soccer fans because it's always man U, arsenal etc. The same thing happened in F1. Many teams are dropping out (toyota just announced they were leaving F1) because they can't compete with the other high spending teams.

Sports are being hollowed out. You dont' need stats to be able to look at the situation and look forward.

All sports should have salary caps and team expenditure limits. There is a reason it's called a "SPORT" after all. It's time to bring the sporting aspect back to sports.
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 21:171 edit
    All sports should have salary caps and team expenditure limits. There is a reason it's called a "SPORT" after all. It's time to bring the sporting aspect back to sports.
    I would agree with you but look what that's done for the Maple Leafs. 😛
  13. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 21:20
    All sports should have salary caps and team expenditure limits. There is a reason it's called a "SPORT" after all. It's time to bring the sporting aspect back to sports.[/b]
    (1) If you think sponsorships aren't down because of the econmy then I imagine that you are from another planet.

(2) Nevertheless, salary caps don't make sports competitive.
    No one gets paid in college football and the same teams are good every year.
    They have a salary cap in the NBA and the Lakers, S.A. are good every year. The Knicks and the Clippers are bad every year. They even have a draft and give bad teams better picks but it does not change.
    The NFL has a harder cap and Indy and NE are good every year. The Jets and the Raiders suck.
    In all these sports, teams that suck can even do good things and nothing changes. College teams can't get players. The Knicks are actually killed by the cap, the Clippers even when the draft the right players Manning, Griffin they seem to get hurt. You can yell about money all you want it just is sour grapes.
  14. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 21:33
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I would agree with you but look what that's done for the Maple Leafs. 😛
    hey, cap/no cap is no subsitute for poor managment and horrendous draft picks!
  15. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 21:33
    Originally posted by quackquack
    (1) If you think sponsorships aren't down because of the econmy then I imagine that you are from another planet.

(2) Nevertheless, salary caps don't make sports competitive.
    No one gets paid in college football and the same teams are good every year.
    They have a salary cap in the NBA and the Lakers, S.A. are good every year. The Knicks and the Clipp ...[text shortened]... riffin they seem to get hurt. You can yell about money all you want it just is sour grapes.
    The NBA cap is a joke.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree