1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 21:341 edit
    Originally posted by uzless
    hey, cap/no cap is no subsitute for poor managment and horrendous draft picks!
    And what does good management and good draft picks get ya? NUTHIN' if you're in the MLB, right?

*winky face*
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 21:35
    Originally posted by quackquack
    (1) If you think sponsorships aren't down because of the econmy then I imagine that you are from another planet.

(.
    what the hell are you talking about. Did I say this?
  3. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 21:371 edit
    Originally posted by darvlay
    And what does good management and good draft picks get ya? NUTHIN' if you're in the MLB, right?
    it will help you for a very short time...until those draft picks become unrestricted free agents and they go to the yanks/boston etc for more money than you can pay them. You might get lucky and have 1 or maybe even 2 years of competing before you lose those players and have to replace them with new draft picks. Not all draft picks work out so if you have young guys that don't pan out, well your outta luck until you get draft picks that do work out.

It's hard to compete with a team when you have to build your ENTIRE team through the draft while other teams can go out and just buy the best players in the league.

How many teams have a 2nd year pitcher that is better than Sabathia, a first basemen better than Texiera??
  4. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 21:403 edits
    (1)
    (2) Nevertheless, salary caps don't make sports competitive.
    No one gets paid in college football and the same teams are good every year.
    They have a salary cap in the NBA and the Lakers, S.A. are good every year. The Knicks and the Clippers are bad every year. They even have a draft and give bad teams better picks but it does not change.
    The Griffin they seem to get hurt. You can yell about money all you want it just is sour grapes.
    Don't even try to compare the NBA cap to a real cap.

What a joke.

College teams are good for 2 reasons. Size and ability to attract good talent. They do this through having good facilities and GOOD COACHES. Guess how they pay for this? Through enrollment numbers and through alumni grants. That's how the big college football teams do well each year. Plus, they have scholarships.If you were to cap the amount of money each college could spend on their football program, you'd see other colleges pick up better players. But then again, maybe you wouldn't because players want to go to schools where nfl scouts will notice them. Keep in mind ivy league schools can't offer athletes athletic scholarships so those schools can't compete at all so your point is very weak.

To call facts sour grapes shows your complete lack of judgement on this topic. Stand back a bit and look at the big picture...although nothing you've said so far should make any of us think you are capable of see anything beyond your own nose.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    07 Nov '09 01:17
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I would agree with you but look what that's done for the Maple Leafs. 😛
    Leaf fans are a few cards short of a full deck! 😛
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    07 Nov '09 08:17
    worldwide i'm talking.

people in N.america who never paid attention to soccer (football) started to pay attention about 5 years ago...but it died out pretty quick when you realized very fast that there only about 4 teams each year that have a shot at the title.

The best way is to ask people you know. My relatives live in England and they say they are ...[text shortened]... ing interest even though they are huge soccer fans because it's always man U, arsenal etc.
    LOLOLOLOL

if you look back 10 years the level of interest in soccer has improved greatly in n. america. it's never going to be as high as the 4 main sports there but there is a market. proved by the fact by the amount of european teams going over there to play preseason friendlies, they wouldn't be doing that if they didn't think they could make any money from it.

aisa will always be the real money making continent for the prem but considering the 'global recession' the prem is doing just fine. backed up by the amount of foreign investment the clubs (and not just the 'top 4'😉 are receiving.

keeps talking about things that you obviously don't have a clue about and you'll soon be exposed for the imbecile that you are. seriously give it up already.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 14:24
    I kinda agree with this.
    I like Rugby league in Australia for the very fact that literally any team could win at the start of the season. Atleast for the last few years anyway. They have a salary cap and it definately works.
  8. SubscriberRay Gunz I
    SEMI TALENTED NOVICE
    Bronx, New York
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 15:18
    Good gravy, get off the Yanks already! We hadn't won the World Series in 9 freaking years. We lost in 2001 and 2004. I seriously don't think this years team was any kind of a powerhouse. Yankee haters want it both ways. If the Yankees win it because they have money to burn. If they lose, it's "Haha, with all the money they spending and they can't even win!" SOUR GRAPES, I say!

The Yankees won, deal with it!
  9. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 15:57
    Don't even try to compare the NBA cap to a real cap.

What a joke.

College teams are good for 2 reasons. Size and ability to attract good talent. They do this through having good facilities and GOOD COACHES. Guess how they pay for this? Through enrollment numbers and through alumni grants. That's how the big college football teams do well each yea ...[text shortened]... so far should make any of us think you are capable of see anything beyond your own nose.
    I got the fact straight. In baseball you can send what you want. The Yankees do, built a stadium, built a network, made billions of dollars, kept their best players and added some others even sent out money to other markets and won a championship. Had a parade. More people went to the parade then live in some markets where they have baseball teams. If you don't think you can compete that's OK. I am sure the sport will do well without you. Meanwhile there are pleanty of excellent teams out there: two in LA, one in Boston, in Philly. There are teams in big cities like Chicago that certainly have money to compete. St. Louis has two top notch pitchers and the best hitter in the game they can certainly compete. Tampa won 97 games in the AL East. They are excellent too and a continuing to restock with young talent.
    The NBA does have a cap. It actually help good teams stay good and prevents bad teams from improving.
    My point on college football is it does have a cap. It only offers scholorships but does not pay players. Nevertheless certain programs are powerhouses and others aren't. It might be that they market tradition, history, great fans, newspaper and TV exposure (as do the Yankees but you aren't smart enought to realize that).
    Baseball should be ecstatic that the biggest market has the best team. Every other prganization would.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 16:03
    Originally posted by Ray Gunz I
    [b]Good gravy, get off the Yanks already! We hadn't won the World Series in 9 freaking years. We lost in 2001 and 2004.
    Do you realize that there are 4 MLB teams who have not even been to a world series? Do you realize that 6 teams have only appeared once? Do you realize that teams like the Cubs have not been to a world series since the year 1908? Do you realize that the Yankees have had 40 appearances in the world series since 1903? Do you realize that the team closest to them is the Dodgers who have appered 18 times?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 01:43
    Originally posted by Ray Gunz I
    Good gravy, get off the Yanks already! We hadn't won the World Series in 9 freaking years. We lost in 2001 and 2004. I seriously don't think this years team was any kind of a powerhouse. Yankee haters want it both ways. If the Yankees win it because they have money to burn. If they lose, it's "Haha, with all the money they spending and they can't even win!" SOUR GRAPES, I say!

The Yankees won, deal with it!
    I almost forgot, how about them Nitty Lions!! 😀
  12. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 03:29
    Originally posted by trev33

keeps talking about things that you obviously don't have a clue about and you'll soon be exposed for the imbecile that you are. seriously give it up already.
    I'm talking long term future trends. You guys don't seem to be able to look past the next commercial.

As always, the future will prove uzless correct.

You would have done well on easter island.
  13. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 03:30
    I got the fact straight. In baseball you can send what you want. The Yankees do, built a stadium, built a network, made billions of dollars, kept their best players and added some others even sent out money to other markets and won a championship. Had a parade. More people went to the parade then live in some markets where they have baseball teams. ...[text shortened]... ould be ecstatic that the biggest market has the best team. Every other prganization would.
    Cut down another tree!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree