1. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    18 Jan '10 11:40
    Originally posted by InlandRevenueUK
    Glaring errors like Smith's reprieve?

Whilst it is true that Harper (3rd umpire) upheld the erroneous not out call, if the system is designed to remove obsurd decisions, then what happened?

Harper over-ruled the umpire and gave De Villiers not out when it looked as if he gloved the ball. Again an interesting decision!

I realise that the mai ...[text shortened]... ire system needs working over, or removing and placing the responsibility back with the umpires
    It wasn't a glaring error 😕 It has to be CONCLUSIVE, which it wasn't.
    It was a very close call and those can only be 100% with 'hot spot' - which is prohibitively expensive and probably won't be implemented at all stadiums.

After a few actual glaring errors, like Pietersen's LBW in an earlier test, we do see the system works in that the real shockers are overturned.
    I didn't see the De Villiers decision, so can't comment.

Neil Manthorp
    The Review System was never, ever intended to decide on marginal decisions. It was introduced to eradicate obvious, howling mistakes.

What I'd like to see happen now, and I agree with Geoffrey Boycott, is we need the 4th umpire to become a 'valid delivery checker' using the cameras.
    The on-field umpires should just focus on the business end 22 yards away, and the 4th umpire should call all no-balls - be they front foot; full toss; return crease or chucking. He sits and does bugger all for most of the test match now anyway.
    I would even like to see him call wides too at a later stage, including calling bouncer height.
  2. Pretoria
    Moves
    19 Jan '10 18:10
    At the end of the day all I can say is that it was GREAT having the English team down here in South Africa. Man!! And all the Pommies at EVERY game supporting their team! Cool!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree