1. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 12:59
    Originally posted by blade68
    Ferdinand is a poor choice as captain... has never been and will never be a leader.
    Seems you disagree with both Alex Ferguson and Cappello.

So the often-times captain of the reigning champions who are currently on top of the table with the best defensive record in the land is a bad choice?

D
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 13:071 edit
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Seems you disagree with both Alex Ferguson and Cappello.

So the often-times captain of the reigning champions who are currently on top of the table with the best defensive record in the land is a bad choice?

D
    Rio 's not even vice-captain in United. Is a 3rd (4th?) choice captain of United fit to captain a national team?

I would expect that the captain of a national team to be also a captain in his own club.
  3. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 15:03
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Rio 's not even vice-captain in United. Is a 3rd (4th?) choice captain of United fit to captain a national team?

I would expect that the captain of a national team to be also a captain in his own club.
    Depends on the national team of course. In an ideal world that would be the case, but in an ideal world England would be playing in the summer and would have a string of possible captains.

As it is, there is only Ferdinand, Terry, Lampard and Gerrard. Terry is the obvious answer as full time captain, although his complete lack of sportsmanship might count against him (I thought it was out of order the way he kicked the ball out for a throw in near Liverpool's corner flag on Sunday after Eboue put the ball out on the half way line so a Chelski player could get attention. Terry is also notoritous for leading mobs in surrounding refs and even went so far as to accuse a referee who sent him off of corruption last year. Total lies and maybe not what Capello wants leading his team).

Personally, I don't think Lampard or Gerrard can be even considered as I wouldn't view either of them as certs to be England starters. That only leaves Rio, who would be a more than able vice captain to Terry.

D
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 15:121 edit
    Depends on the national team of course. In an ideal world that would be the case, but in an ideal world England would be playing in the summer and would have a string of possible captains.

As it is, there is only Ferdinand, Terry, Lampard and Gerrard. Terry is the obvious answer as full time captain, although his complete lack of sportsmanship might co nd starters. That only leaves Rio, who would be a more than able vice captain to Terry.

D
    Fair enough. I can see your point of testing Rio in the case of Capello wanting to try 4 different captains before the 'real' games begin. The thing is that I think Gerrard or Terry have more experience in captaining and this can be a major difference when needing to rally team members. Rio is more used to be a recipient of such encouragements, while I'm sure with someone like Terry or Gerrard that will come almost instinctively by now.

I agree that Gerrard is not the superman that some people try to make him out to be, but he is a great asset for every team. I think that the problem was more in the tactical system (and general lack of tactical guidance) and so in a more structured team, as I expect Capello to build, I think Gerrard will be certain to start.

Edit - Lampard's would be less certain to start along with Gerrard, as that would depend greatly on the formation.
  5. Santiago
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 15:30
    Does anyone know if ESPN or Fox are covering this match?
  6. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 18:09
    [b]Seems you disagree with both Alex Ferguson and Cappello.
    Football's all about opinions Rag - you know that!

Both these Managers have excellent club credentials, that is not in dispute... but on the case as Ferdinand as a captain, I'll more than happily disagree with anyone that wishes to argue!
    I don't rate Ferdinand as a player - and certainly don't think he's captain material for either club or country (it would appear that there are like minded people on this site too!)
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 20:58
    Portugal 0 - Greece 2 (at 64 min) 😞

Scolari is so clueless. 🙄
  8. Standard memberRobrobbie
    The Blues Boy
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 21:12
    Terry the best captain by far and he plays for the best club to!
  9. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 21:49
    How boring is this game?

Holland just beat Austria 3-4 while Austria lead the game 3-0 after 30 minutes (3 blunders by Timmer). I've seen better games but it was quite entertaining to watch.
  10. Santiago
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 22:06
    Originally posted by Robrobbie
    Terry the best captain by far and he plays for the best club to!
    Whoopie doo.
  11. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 22:51
    rooney should captain england - it would mature him and he is good enough to play every game.
  12. 6yd box
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 23:14
    Originally posted by invigorate
    rooney should captain england - it would mature him and he is good enough to play every game.
    NO! he is not a captain.

i agree with Rag... center halfs and mid-fields make the best captain. Just give it to steve G
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 09:31
    Originally posted by blade68
    Football's all about opinions Rag - you know that!

Both these Managers have excellent club credentials, that is not in dispute... but on the case as Ferdinand as a captain, I'll more than happily disagree with anyone that wishes to argue!
    I don't rate Ferdinand as a player - and certainly don't think he's captain material for either club or country (it would appear that there are like minded people on this site too!)
    I haven't voted in this, but it appears as though Teamtalk readers have him as England's MOTM.
    http://www.teamtalk.com/football/poll/0,16396,7556_10586_r,00.html

and BBC readers put him just behind Beckham (who always gets the hype vote), and Hargreaves.

I think we should all join together and offer the ever underrated Rio our sincere congratulations on being one of England's best 2 players.

D
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 11:31
    I haven't voted in this, but it appears as though Teamtalk readers have him as England's MOTM.
    http://www.teamtalk.com/football/poll/0,16396,7556_10586_r,00.html

and BBC readers put him just behind Beckham (who always gets the hype vote), and Hargreaves.

I think we should all join together and offer the ever underrated Rio our sincere congratulations on being one of England's best 2 players.

D
    Again, irrelevant regarding his captaincy. What I saw was his passive behaviour as captain, which is what I expected.
  15. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 12:56
    Personally, I don't think Lampard or Gerrard can be even considered as I wouldn't view either of them as certs to be England starters. That only leaves Rio, who would be a more than able vice captain to Terry.

D
    You don't view Gerrard as a cert to start? Really? I'd say as far as the midfield goes, he's the one that Capello should build the others around. If that doesn't include Lampard then so be it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree