1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '10 10:23
    ECB's administrators and strategists could hardly have got it more wrong.

The Test Series lead up to England's away defence of the Ashes is Bangladesh away, Bangladesh home, Pakistan home...
  2. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '10 10:54
    Oh FFS...anyone would think the Ashes was the only thing that matters. We do have to play the other teams at some point.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '10 12:15
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Oh FFS...anyone would think the Ashes was the only thing that matters. We do have to play the other teams at some point.
    What's this got to do with my post?
  4. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 11:54
    Originally posted by FMF
    What's this got to do with my post?
    The fact that you seem to suggest England's main aim in selecting opponents for the next year should be to prepare for the Ashes?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 15:25
    Originally posted by mtthw
    The fact that you seem to suggest England's main aim in selecting opponents for the next year should be to prepare for the Ashes?
    England plays against all other Test nations within a 4-5 year framework. Cricket is a business and England v Australia is peak business, and this is in terms of recruiting youth to the sport too, not just financially. In the 10 months leading up to such a crucial bit of international professional sport, I think a summer spent pitting wits against India and Sri Lanka would have trumped two back to back series against minnows Bangladesh and 7th-out-of-9-Test Nations Pakistan, in cricketing terms and in commercial terms and in terms of the long term health of this under-pressure sport in the U.K.

But I do take your point about what you think I "seem to suggest".
  6. Standard memberMarcusr
    Bat Chain Puller
    Gone
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 22:04
    The biggest problem with the schedule is the back to back series against Bangladesh. After the dismal episodes against the West Indies recently I hoped we'd never see that again - we'll all be bored senseless by the second Test at Old Trafford, even if the series out there is competitive.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '10 00:21
    Originally posted by Marcusr
    The biggest problem with the schedule is the back to back series against Bangladesh.
    No win situation. If we trounce Bangladesh, people will scoff. If we struggle in any way at all, people will really scoff. If Bangladesh do well, there'll be scoffing aplenty and a poisonous tabloid whirlwind. Meanwhile playing cricket against them will not create the momentum needed for the Ashes, regardless of how well we play.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree